multi threaded renderer

Hi

What does this actually do? is it referring to multiple cpu cores? meaning if I have a quad core cpu I should enable it? or does it have nothing to do with the cpu and it's more of a gpu option?

thanks, highly appreciated.

Hi

What does this actually do? is it referring to multiple cpu cores? meaning if I have a quad core cpu I should enable it? or does it have nothing to do with the cpu and it's more of a gpu option?

thanks, highly appreciated.

It's a CPU thing. It mainly for people who have Dual Core and Higher. Instead of the game running on one core, you can have it run on all. It really doesn't take up a lot of CPU (not that I've seen) but it make the game SOOO much least laggy.

It's a CPU thing. It mainly for people who have Dual Core and Higher. Instead of the game running on one core, you can have it run on all. It really doesn't take up a lot of CPU (not that I've seen) but it make the game SOOO much least laggy.

^ Pretty much exactly what they said. It allows the game to use more cores to render. I have it unchecked and my game runs a lot better- I have 8 cores personally.

I'm pretty sure it's not for using multiple cores to render. Rendering on ANY CPU core would be bypassing your graphics hardware and thus, completely nonsensical. I think it's about more than one thread (on the CPU) calling for the GPU to render OR multiple renderings threads (for graphic cards with multiple cores like any AMD Radeon HD with an "x2" behind its specifier or two cards in a crossfire/SLI configuration). Rendering on the CPU would be pretty pre-1994. I'm talking Doom or Apogee games here. ;)

For me there's a tiny bit of improvement (~+10% fps) with this setting off (i.e. enabling multi-threaded rendering) without any side-effects like crashing. I really do not know why it's off on default. Some people must have difficulties with it.

I'm pretty sure it's not for using multiple cores to render. Rendering on ANY CPU core would be bypassing your graphics hardware and thus, completely nonsensical. I think it's about more than one thread (on the CPU) calling for the GPU to render OR multiple renderings threads (for graphic cards with multiple cores like any AMD Radeon HD with an "x2" behind its specifier or two cards in a crossfire/SLI configuration). Rendering on the CPU would be pretty pre-1994. I'm talking Doom or Apogee games here. ;)

For me there's a tiny bit of improvement (~+10% fps) with this setting off (i.e. enabling multi-threaded rendering) without any side-effects like crashing. I really do not know why it's off on default. Some people must have difficulties with it.

To some people a 10% FPS gain could be a lot.

Here is a great link for anyone wondering what Multi-Thread rendering actually does and can do. Hint, hint, not only graphics are rendered-
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/opengl-directx,2019-6.html
I know once one looks at the pictures it can seem overwhelming and technical. Just take a deep breath and remember, the CPU is what makes everything else work, it handles all the important information and sends it where it needs to go. It's the workhorse. Knowing that, read a little at a time and try to visualize it, it will make it much easier to understand.

Here is what my CPU Usage looks like with 'Don't Use Multi-Thread Render' checked. (Which means I'm not allowing it)

Here is what my CPU Usage looks like when I am allowing DD to use Multi-Thread Render.

I am pretty much running Steam, DD, and my browser in these screenshots. There is a pretty obvious increase when I allow DD to multi-render. I had to put DD in windowed mode as I wasn't sure if minimizing would give me the same numbers. But I managed to screenshot the desired information.

Hope this helps clarify and educate :)

Gosh, I want that CPU. :kobold:

Ahem.

So basically, what this is all saying is: DD uses DirectX9, which according to that very informative article you linked is NOT capable of sending more information because of the critical section.
[QUOTE]That means that all the advantages of using several threads are canceled out by the critical section, which serializes code. No API can solve this problem—it’s inherent in the way the CPU and GPU communicate.[/QUOTE]
...something DirectX 11 has solutions/workarounds for. What this should mean is that multi-threaded rendering in a non Dx11 version game would be just a waste of computing resources. And yet apparently, it is not - it actually helps people getting more fps. Not me really, but you know why that is *hint hint* ;)

Something is very strange here.

P.S. no, I think 10% fps is not much. It means 11 instead of 10 fps or 55 when I would've had 50. If the game is slugging along it still is, if it runs okay it still will. It's noticeable, though.

Gosh, I want that CPU. :kobold:

Ahem.

So basically, what this is all saying is: DD uses DirectX9, which according to that very informative article you linked is NOT capable of sending more information because of the critical section.

...something DirectX 11 has solutions/workarounds for. What this should mean is that multi-threaded rendering in a non Dx11 version game would be just a waste of computing resources. And yet apparently, it is not - it actually helps people getting more fps. Not me really, but you know why that is *hint hint* ;)

Something is very strange here.

P.S. no, I think 10% fps is not much. It means 11 instead of 10 fps or 55 when I would've had 50. If the game is slugging along it still is, if it runs okay it still will. It's noticeable, though.

Remember that the publish date on that article was 2008 it appears. I linked it to show what multi-thread render can do. It's possible DD does a lot more as in my screenshots of CPU activity I went from about 15% usage to over 30% usage. That's a pretty big leap on an 8 core.