oldbrokenlink

Insight Venture Management Takes an ownership stake in Trendy

"takes an ownership stake in Trendy"

that means they own 51% or more

that means sold

that means controlling ownership

no longer independent :(

basically $5b global private equity and venture firm,

they own 150+ companies including newegg!

that means sold

basically $5b global private equity and venture firm,

they own 150+ companies including newegg!

So you are saying Real Money Auction House is slated for DD2?

I did not know who bought Trendy but that digest last week made it obvious it had happened.

Lets hope it dose indeed lead to a brighter future not dismay as many fear.

FINGERS SERIOUSLY CROSSED ON THIS ONE!

that means sold

"Ownership stake" does not mean they own 51% or more. It would be different if the article said "majority ownership stake".

good point. i thought i read majority, but in all the excitement to break the news first i jumped the gun. i stand corrected. still we don't know how much of a percentage and the details of the deal.

i will google more for more details of what it means, hopefully now that its all over the web and on this website trendy will make a formal announcement with details of what it means to us fans and dd game lovers

here is what SEC filing says

[quote]
10. Business Combination Transaction
Is this offering being made in connection with a business combination transaction, such as a merger, acquisition or exchange offer?
[ ] Yes [X] No
[/quote]

but articles read ownership stake, now we still don't know details of who owns majority stake.

New Egg is known for their superb customer service, tweeter is under fire for invading their user's privacty.

Fact is, we will never know what will come of this until some time has passed and we can realize what direction the company took. People who support indie company are in general very pick about where they put that support and don't like feeding their money to big names using the indie name to milk the good will of gamers.

At any rate, always online without offline/lan options, even more, a gambling machine simulator aka. RMAH, are a huge off for me and won't touch anything with those characteristics with a mile long pole.

the DLC were never free lol

Not true. The holiday DLC were initially free. And for that matter Jester will also be initially free. But I guess you are technically correct, since currently there is no free DLC.

We can't comment on this at this time, but no fears. We're still very independent and can't wait to show you what's coming next. :^)

We can't comment on this at this time, but no fears. We're still very independent and can't wait to show you what's coming next. :^)

Assurances from Atticus are always trust worthy. :)

There we go. This finally explains the "bigger, shinier games" statement from a while back. I was elated to see Trendy expanding their in-house staff, but I knew that the staff additions alone weren't what they meant with the aforementioned quote. This is definitely worlds better than a sale to EA, Activision, Ubisoft, or one of those companies. At the same time, this is an "investment." Companies don't hand out millions of dollars as charity; there will be a contractual obligation of certain things being given in return for their money.

Since the investor in question isn't a publisher, thankfully: let's hope that what they ask in return is limited to things like profit-sharing, and that they won't have a heavy influence on what the company is allowed to release. Trendy is so amazing because they're a community-centric company, and Dungeon Defenders has been all the better for it. We'd hate to see that stifled, shinier games or not. And as I said in the older thread: Dungeon Defenders looks, sounds, and plays better than most big-budget, big-name titles I can think of. I wouldn't ask for it to be any bigger or any shinier. I'd prefer an aesthetic downgrade, if anything, if that's what was required to keep you guys as community-centric as you are.

Gotta love them lawyers!

I look forward to when you CAN comment on this one!