Sign in to follow this  
Finalefireworker

Why doesn't this game make any effort to explain anything?

I see it as the glass is half empty or half full.
Your way of thinking is fine. But it is also fine to think, your true tower starts are when you place them, and you get penalized for switching them out. It's really just a way of thinking, because the end result is the same.

Some of us remember a time when there was no water in the glass. All towers did normal damage until trendy patched in a bonus for active tower builders. To us that 30% extra damage is still a bonus

I agree that the amount of info given in the game is too little. I learned most stuff reading this forum or wiki. Other players can learn from me when they join me in game, not just playing randomly. It is not acceptable that strategy (!) game doesn't offer descriptive info on eveyr element possible. This is why we end up with a bunch of clueless DPSers.

The wiki used to do a decent job of explaining a lot of that stuff. But it is kinda dated. I think that an FAQ should be made.

My thoughts
@11 eventually melee enemies can be hurt
@1 I made the same mistake with my first trans set.
@3 the only class where I think it could be mistaken for attack speed is app but I can see what you mean
@5 its either 33% or 25% depending on if you look at it as a bonus/reduction

Anyone can contribute to the Wiki. If something is outdated, take a few minutes to sharpen it back up. I'm sure with the collective support of the community, it'll be relevant and informative if enough people tackle it. :^)

Anyone can contribute to the Wiki. If something is outdated, take a few minutes to sharpen it back up. I'm sure with the collective support of the community, it'll be relevant and informative if enough people tackle it. :^)

No offense intended here, Hit, but does Trendy consider having to go to a third party site the best way to teach new players about the game?

There are tips that display during the loading screens- perhaps we can collaborate in this thread to suggest a few more they can implement? You know, like all of the stuff in the OP, just shortened down to a bunch of single-line sentences.

Here are a few to start:

- Wearing the same type of armor gives a 20% increase in all stats, and an even greater bonus for Mythical and higher gear!
- Improving Hero Casting Rate reduces the amount of time it takes to upgrade and repair defenses. Your hero's attack speed is dependent on the weapon they are wielding.
- In the Zippy Terror challenge, no defenses are allowed- work together as a team to prevent an explosive demise!
- When a hero is active, all defenses summoned by that hero have a 30% damage increase!
- If sorting through items is not your thing, leaving them on the ground after each wave automatically sells them to the tavernkeep, and the mana is deposited into your bank.
- Use 'Pro-mode' to upgrade gear faster than manually investing mana.
- Nightmare mode increases familiar damage while decreasing hero damage. Bring your best pet into battle for an increase in damage!
- Nightmare mode decreases the time it takes to repair defenses. Use this to your advantage by quickly repairing defenses that need attention!
- (Insert short blurb about every defense in the game here)
- Melee enemies are immune to damage until in the battlefield . Be careful about building your defenses too close to the spawn doors.
- Ogres dropped by Goblin Copters do not target or damage Eternia Crystals unless no other defenses are nearby.

A lot of these are specific to a map or nightmare- perhaps there could be some sort of unlock that would only display certain tips after a certain point?

Here are a few to start:

- Wearing the same type of armor gives a 20% increase in all stats, and an even greater bonus for Mythical and higher gear!

its %25 -_-

I owned the game since 2011 and I just recently learned that holding 'alt' allows you to reorder your characters from any page!

Also, I learned that holding a number key on a specific skill in your action wheel allows you to reassign the quick numbers (1 through 0) to anything you want for that single character! Now I have summon archers on my 7 key and also moved heal aura to 9 instead of 8.

No offense intended here, Hit, but does Trendy consider having to go to a third party site the best way to teach new players about the game?

Given the vast amount of changes Trendy has done to DD in the time it's been released, do you really feel so strongly against the wiki?

Honestly I have never played a single game that didn't involve extra help from a third party source. Perhaps it's the games I play, but they never spell out every single bit of information for the player.

There are tips that display during the loading screens- perhaps we can collaborate in this thread to suggest a few more they can implement? You know, like all of the stuff in the OP, just shortened down to a bunch of single-line sentences.

I'm all for adding more tips during the loading screens. I don't get to ready them very often but I'm sure they would be helpful for others!

Given the vast amount of changes Trendy has done to DD in the time it's been released, do you really feel so strongly against the wiki?

Honestly I have never played a single game that didn't involve extra help from a third party source. Perhaps it's the games I play, but they never spell out every single bit of information for the player.

Don't misunderstand here. I've nothing against the wiki. I do happen to agree with the OP that there is quite a bit of information about the game and how to play it that isn't presented anywhere within the game. I happen to think that a new player should be able to learn the most basic of information from within the game as opposed to having to seek it out online. That's not to say that I agree every item the OP listed should be explained. Some things should be left tot he journey of discovery. Others, though, are simply neglected when they shouldn't be.

From the OP's list there are three in particular that I think should definitely be explained in game and all of them could be done with as little as a mouse-over tool tip. First would be hero cast rate. Sure, it's not a huge deal, but s simple tool tip on stats and abilities would be quite useful for someone who's never played the game before. Secondly there's the impact on game play that selecting hardore or mix mode will have. Nowhere is this explained in the place where it makes the most sense to explain it (i.e. in the game). One could even add survival and pure strategy to the previous. Lastly, a mention of the changes one can expect to see in nightmare should definitely be presented somwhere. Whether that be a tooltip or in the map description or whatever. Something as easy as:

- Increased enemy strength, and NEW ENEMIES!
- Increased tower and pet damage
- Decreased hero damage and aura/trap radius

As I said, I have nothing whatsoever against the wiki. I think it's a valuable tool for those looking to get a more in depth understanding of everything the game has to offer. What I don't agree with is pointing new players to the wiki to learn what the game itself should teach them.

I owned the game since 2011 and I just recently learned that holding 'alt' allows you to reorder your characters from any page!

Also, I learned that holding a number key on a specific skill in your action wheel allows you to reassign the quick numbers (1 through 0) to anything you want for that single character! Now I have summon archers on my 7 key and also moved heal aura to 9 instead of 8.

Wait...... WHAT??
When was this? Always been? Whatever. Good to know. I need to read this thread again later for more hidden shtuffsh

Mix mode doesn't affect pet drop quality in survival, but hardcore does.

I had no idea MM didn't affect pet drops! All that wasted effort. Weird. HC doesn't make most survival maps any harder, but MM sure does. You would think both would give a bonus. Hm.

Anyway, here is what I would add to the list.

There are four damage types. Physical and three elementals. Fire, electric and poision. Everything is vulnerable to physical, but some monsters can be immune to one of the elemental damage types. They will have a visible effect if so. A fire monster will be unharmed by a fireball tower for instance. Strength Drain auras, Darkness traps and Mage Shields will remove their resistance while they are under their effect. Some weapons and pets use elemental damage as well, so be aware when using them that you will be unable to attack some monsters unless they are debuffed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM&feature=player_embedded

"Contains adult language"

That is all.

Was simply like OMG that makes sense.

I would like to add something that took me FOREVER to figure out. (Eventually figured it out by watching endless hours of youtube videos and streams.

When respeccing or leveling your characters. Here are the tidbits:

Shift + Left Click = +5 to Stats (Per Click)
Ctrl + Left Click = Max that specific stat in one click (Yes, that means you can do 180 points in One Click.)
Shift + Right Click = -5 to CURRENT level additional points (Will not take away from stats that you've entered from previous levels. You have to respec to do this)
Ctrl + Right Click = -All you've put in this round (Useful when you misclicked the Ctrl+Left Click)
Right Click = -1 per click
Left Click = +1 per click

Hero Damage affects Pet Damage
Hero Damage does NOT affect elemental damage on a weapon
Using what I just said ^ do NOT level Elemental damage on a weapon despite the fact that it levels up faster. You will get more out of the increased pet damage (Especially in Nightmare) and normal weapon damage.

Hope that helps some.

Edit: Level bonus that you can buy from the Tavernkeep gives you 10% of your level for like 70k mana.
DO THIS EVERY LEVEL AFTER 74 FOR SURE! You level up so much faster that way. It's like you only have to do 90% of each level now. ^_^

Don't misunderstand here. I've nothing against the wiki. I do happen to agree with the OP that there is quite a bit of information about the game and how to play it that isn't presented anywhere within the game. I happen to think that a new player should be able to learn the most basic of information from within the game as opposed to having to seek it out online. That's not to say that I agree every item the OP listed should be explained. Some things should be left tot he journey of discovery. Others, though, are simply neglected when they shouldn't be.

From the OP's list there are three in particular that I think should definitely be explained in game and all of them could be done with as little as a mouse-over tool tip. First would be hero cast rate. Sure, it's not a huge deal, but s simple tool tip on stats and abilities would be quite useful for someone who's never played the game before. Secondly there's the impact on game play that selecting hardore or mix mode will have. Nowhere is this explained in the place where it makes the most sense to explain it (i.e. in the game). One could even add survival and pure strategy to the previous. Lastly, a mention of the changes one can expect to see in nightmare should definitely be presented somwhere. Whether that be a tooltip or in the map description or whatever. Something as easy as:

- Increased enemy strength, and NEW ENEMIES!
- Increased tower and pet damage
- Decreased hero damage and aura/trap radius

As I said, I have nothing whatsoever against the wiki. I think it's a valuable tool for those looking to get a more in depth understanding of everything the game has to offer. What I don't agree with is pointing new players to the wiki to learn what the game itself should teach them.

I do agree that with more of the "newer" changes and more diverse options/modes that there isn't a lot of information in-game.
The Hero Casting rate is a fine example, but Pure Strategy was a nice investigation to find out about.

Overall I feel that the Tutorial really explained the core game very well when it was still the core game. Too much may have been changed from the original release. Hard to say from my perspective.

Hero Damage affects Pet Damage

Only if that pet has a specific quality tag :p (ie. Only if it says Heroic/Mythical+).

Overall I feel that the Tutorial really explained the core game very well when it was still the core game. Too much may have been changed from the original release. Hard to say from my perspective.

The original tutorial did cover an awful lot of useful info, but it definetely hasn't aged well. Maybe time it got an update (and a seperate NM tutorial may also be a good idea as it has a lot of it's own quirks)

I actually go through the TCs post..

1: The game is Tower Defence RPG, have you never played an RPG before? I think its pretty obvious after playing a little while that with 5 different armour types it may be best to have a set, ppl didnt used to powerlvl so much either, so they easily saw how the set bonus works and would see how it breaks when a myth is equipped for the first time., even if they dont understand why straight away.

2: You can only put a max of 100 points into run speed unlike every other stat which is (now) 180, which makes is pretty obvious although not totally I agree.

3: You cast towers, you ever get a cast bar.

4: Again its just obvious after you play the lvl once.

5: yea I agree, better info for getting a bonus for having an active builder would be good.

6: I remember back in the day, when the forum was full of ppl having to give this advice,, I never see anyone who doesnt know nowadays though, a loading screen tip would be good.

7: Yep needs updating

8: Its a loot style game, harder generally means better rewards (this shows from standard difficulties easy>insane+) it really doesnt need to tell you this.

9: Again obvious from the very first NM game you ever load up that its "substantially different" to make you check alot of stuff.

10: You learn by playing.

11: Its just Dark Elves and Ogres that are vunerable I believe.

12: Yea needs better explanation, had a few lvl 70's before I swapped to ranked:)

Ppl are just not idiots who need thier hands holding.

2: You can only put a max of 100 points into run speed unlike every other stat which is (now) 180, which makes is pretty obvious although not totally I agree.

How many players stick 100 hero points in run speed? By the time they get 100 points to play with, they've probably figured out that it's not really an important stat.

It's one of those things that just dosen't come up

What ever happened to trail and error. Do you want all the info and little secrets to the game given to you straight up? You seemed to learn all the secrets well.

Most games (if not all RPG's) do have these little hidden elements where knowing them make the game easier.

You just have to play the game to figure this stuff out. If you want more info head over to the wiki or ask here on the forums.

I've clocked over 280 hours in this game and every week i'm still learning new stuff which isn't told to you at any point. In the last 3 weeks I've found out:

1. How to show the chat log (F1)
2. How to shrink monk auras (seriously, how did I not find this out before?)
3. That in Summoner Overlord mode, you can summon and upgrade anywhere

Basic things like these should appear as hints on the loading screens

I've clocked over 280 hours in this game and every week i'm still learning new stuff which isn't told to you at any point. In the last 3 weeks I've found out:

1. How to show the chat log (F1)
2. How to shrink monk auras (seriously, how did I not find this out before?)
3. That in Summoner Overlord mode, you can summon and upgrade anywhere

Basic things like these should appear as hints on the loading screens

No offense, but learning the key binding should be the first thing you do with a game. Granted the aura/trap resizing was added after release, but every time a new key binding option is added, your current key binds(and graphic settings) are reset, informing you that something changed/was added. This is not the best way to handle this, instead it should be included in patch notes made easily available to everyone.

As for Overlord mode, that is kind of the point. Pretty sure it's detailed on the DLC page.

Game simply lacks any intuitive way to teach information to players. A wiki should NOT be the place to learn simple game mechanics.