DunDef Digest 8/1/12 Discussion Thread

We're growing!

Today marked the first day for two new employees, Skott Chatten and Mia Goodwin. Skott and Mia are just a couple of the brilliant minds we’ve assimilated...err, I mean, welcomed into the family over the past two months. In celebration of our growing team, the gang shambled down to The Smokehouse, a local barbeque joint, to gorge on delicious animal flesh and barbeque nachos, which is quite possibly the greatest appetizer of all time.

So before we dive into this week’s news, we’d like to officially welcome our newest employees: Brian Goodsell, Rosa Burkart, David DeCoster, Mia, Skott, Abraham Abdala, Zach Smith, Daniel Dz, Jes Dz and Michael Smith!

If you want to join our family, check out the Jobs page and send in your resume! (Especially if you’re an animator!)

Now let’s get down to business. (Those Huns won’t defeat themselves!)

Wield ALL The Weapons

We’re one week away from releasing the Jester and her grab bag of goodies to the community at large. But there are a few details left to cover before you hit the ground running.

Question: What weapons will the Jester use? Well, Jimmy -- you don’t mind if I call you Jimmy, right? -- she can use EVERY weapon in the game. From Steam Saws to Soul Focusers to everything in-between, the Jester can wield the full force of the battlefield to lay waste to mobs. Like the Series EV, she can swap between two different weapons. Speaking of weapons, I think you’ll enjoy the new weapons shown in the photo above. Play close attention to the Monk’s weapon. I hear it’s quite the gambit.

Of course, it’s the Jester’s abilities that will be the main draw for players. The first is the Wheel o’ Fortuna. Different combinations in this slot-machine ability will yield varying postive and negative effects: heal allies, kill % of enemies, damage enemies, buff players (duration), debuff enemies (duration), prevent repair (duration), upgrade a tower, gold some enemies, stun some enemies, slow down time (duration), downgrade a tower.

Her second ability comes straight from the community: the ability to move towers once they’ve been placed. No longer will Sharken ruin your beautiful setup. Now you can tell those thick-headed cussers to go cuss themselves.

The King’s Game

Included in the Jester DLC pack is The King’s Game, the most visually stunning map yet. Two crystals lie in the heart of this triple-tier living chessboard. The tiled floor swoops high into the sky. Rooks, pawns and bishops slide on the floor while you’re collecting mana in rainbow-colored chests. Confetti and party horns celebrate your heroic actions. Loose tiles dart around in the vortex raging around the map.

Thanks to feedback from the community, we’ve added shining tiles to the map that, when stepped on during the Combat Phase, will cause different reactions in the map. Maybe all the ogres on the map will die. Maybe it will activate slow motion. Or maybe it will grant a one-time bonus to the overall DUs on the map.

You can pick up this MC Esher-esque map, along with the Jester, the male costume (the Fool) and the four new weapons on August 8. And it’s all free. We’re not fooling you. That would be cruel.

Console News Update

The Xbox 360 patch and Shards IV DLC have been shipped to Microsoft for certification! The PS3 patch and DLC are nearing completion. We’ll keep everyone updated once the PS3 materials have been submitted. As a reminder, we won’t have a release date on these for a little while, so we do ask for your patience for a little while longer.

One quick note: Due to memory limits on the console patch, we weren’t able to stuff the Shards IV or Crystalline Dimension weapons or pet in it. Instead, you’ll be able to earn superior-quality randomized rewards. We sincerely apologize for this.

Major DDDK Update

PC modders, rejoice! The Dungeon Defenders Development Kit will now include ALL Dungeon Defenders content up through and including the Jester. This includes ALL released maps, too! This mega drop will be included in the Jester update next week, when the DDDK will change to be considered a “Tool” and not a “DLC”. We can’t wait to see the even more-awesome stuff you’ll be able to put into Steam Workshop with it!

Weekly Workshop: Viridian City

Wes1180 continues his Pokemon creations with Viridian City, the second city from the original Pokemon trio. Wes was awesome enough to include transitioning music as you enter and leave the buildings scattered around the town. And should you decide to download the map, you might spot a certain wormy creature roaming the field.

Community Calendar

Check out the Community Calendar for all upcoming events on PC, 360 and PS3. If you’d like to host a livestream, giveaway or event of your own, click the Add Event button on the right-hand side!

PC:

8/3 -- Trendy Friday Fun
8/4 -- PvP Tournament!

360:

8/4 -- [Trendy Sponsored] Meanwhile at the Legion of Doom Events

Creations of the Week

Have something neat you'd like to share? Send it cool to [email]contest@trendyent.com[/email] with the subject "Creation of the Week"! Be sure to include your forum username or Steam username in the email. Our favorites will appear in future Digests!

Courtesy of Dark Intent

Courtesy of louisman1995

Until next time,
Hitmonchan

Discuss this Digest here!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always love me some dundef news, thx hit. I cant wait for the shards IV plus patch, too bad the Catarang didnt make it. Ill love it anyways.

Can't wait. Sounds like a fun and useful addition to anyone's roster!

I can have a Saw and a Gun! =3 I think I'm going to cry

I'm not from pc but I think everyone gonna delet all there dps characters and just have the jester lol

If they do not hurt her NM scaling then yes. If it scales poorly then it'll be highly disappointing T.T

So about the 4 new weapons... I know the one in the lower left is supposed to be a chess piece, but it looked like something else at first glance...

EDIT: And that's pretty awesome that we get Gambit's staff (presumably with playing cards as projectiles) for the monk weapon.

Wow....I can't wait to play her as a dps.

I'm not from pc but I think everyone gonna delet all there dps characters and just have the jester lol

I doubt that will happen. I like 1-hitting bosses with my amazon in boss rush.

[quote]This mega drop will be included in the Jester update next week, when the DDDK will change to be considered a “Tool” and not a “DLC”.[/quote]

Finally!

So about the 4 new weapons... I know the one in the lower left is supposed to be a chess piece, but it looked like something else at first glance...

Just wait till the RNG decides to drop you a giant pink one. Then no one will assume it is your weapon, and must use the indefinite article a weapon.

Now lets get down to business. (Those Huns wont defeat themselves!)

I can't believe... You seriously did not just...
Pun of the year folks.

Just wait till the RNG decides to drop you a giant pink one. Then no one will assume it is your weapon, and must use the indefinite article a weapon.

Well, it is company policy.

I can't believe... You seriously did not just...
Pun of the year folks.

Thank you! Thank you!

Better finish levelling everything to 90 then I suppose :p
is 'visually stunning' code for 'lag ahoy!'?

Ye gods I hope not.

Come to think of it, I hope they don't make it as difficult as Palantir. That was awful. Between Misty and Aqua's difficulty would be smashing! Preferably without Ogre and Copter spam. :(

i was just going to sign off after reading the console update but i can't refrain and i apologize ahead of time for what is surely going to be a critical and scathing reply.

so they won't be including any new content (weapons, pets) in the new console DLC? maybe i am missing something but what exactly am i downloading then? one new level... with no new rewards or characters or features or prizes or game modes or incentive to play?

this is the last DLC for this game, the last chance to keep your playerbase interested for a few more months, and this is how it goes down? please tell me what is supposed to be appealing about this DLC... farming up a slightly more powerful earth-shaper than the 100s i have already?? NO ONE WANTS AN EARTHSHAPER WITH 200 UPGRADES!!!

trendy will need to radically redesign the way they make DLC. why would you even put yourself in the position of having to try to cram all the new content into a patch?! it should be part of the DLC.

waiting for months after every time i purchased a DLC for a patch that would make it playable was extremely frustrating. after the utter and total failure that is the aquanos DLC all my friends quit playing but i have been checking the forums once a week waiting for the good news about a upcoming patch and new exciting DLC... only to hear this news . you should have just released the core game to console. the DownLoadable Content has NO CONTENT! my friends and i were happy playing until you started stealing money (YEAH, YOU READ THAT RIGHT) with these DLCs that don't work; DLCs that contain nothing.

i'm done
i'm out
i'm pissed off

happy defending ya'll

It's not trendys fault that console hardware belongs on the Antiques Roadshow and the bureaucracy of Microsoft and Sony is worse than Capitol Hill. Just to get that patch to consoles they had to jump through more hoops than shamoo has seen in his whole life.

Just sayin'

Just to get that patch to consoles they had to jump through more hoops than shamoo has seen in his whole life.

This. The whole console game updates thing isn't free or quick to do. My PC isn't nearly as powerful as my PS3, but it's not on lockdown from software large companies can't control, either.

I am entirely too hyped about the DDDK update. I've got a few ideas to throw at it when the update lands.