Getting Really Tired of ALT-TAB Crashes

Most of the time when I ALT-TAB out to the desktop to do something, and I click the Dungeon Defenders icon in the taskbar, Dungeon Defenders will crash. If I ALT-TAB back into the game, it doesn't crash. Only when I click the icon. I thought they fixed ALT-TAB crashes a while back in a patch. Apparently not.

I alt-tab a bit myself, only had a few crashes but i usually don't click the icon, but i know what your talking about.

I alt-tab a bit myself, only had a few crashes but i usually don't click the icon, but i know what your talking about.

I usually ALT-TAB back into the game but sometimes out of habit I'll click the icon and... boom. Crash.

I've had disconnects and sometimes crashes if the switch takes too long. The solution that other games use is to have a windowed mode that covers the whole screen - no title bars, task bars, etc. - it looks identical to full screen mode but it's windowed so the switch is fast and smooth.

This was causing me issues when I still had McAfee installed on this computer, as it would alt-tab me out of the game at random intervals to poll and see if I needed to update. And even when I had updated the program or run a scan right before playing the game, the polling procedure would still force the game to alt-tab out of full-screen mode on many nights. And most of the time, this would result in a crash when trying to get back into full-screen mode. And with McAfee being such an invasive, annoying program - you can't deactivate the polling process.

Among a list of other headaches it was causing me, this was the last straw that finally forced me to get rid of that godawful program. Didn't help that the forced alt-tabbing happened late into runs of stages, playing with friends, and crashed the game ruining all of our nights. Since removing McAfee, haven't had a single problem. Then again, I never normally alt-tab out of the game. I just use the Steam overlay for web browsing and for voice chat. For people that DO like to alt-tab out, I think a border-less windowed mode would be a lifesaver.

I highly suggest playing in windowed mode. You can double click the window title to go almost-full screen, windowed mode should you prefer this.

I always play in windowed mode!

I highly suggest playing in windowed mode. You can double click the window title to go almost-full screen, windowed mode should you prefer this.

I always play in windowed mode!

Awhile back they fixed the resolution not saving. Then a week later it was broken again. During the week or so it was fixed, I did not have any ALT TAB crahses even when swapping out in FS.
Now they happen all the time again, like this...
I have to set the correct resolution every time I want to play in Full Screen. When in this FS mode, if I ALT-TAB out, I crash. If windowed, I don't. It's hard to remember to check first if something is pressing.

I alt-tab all the time (infact, doing it right now :D). When it starts crashing (on anything), verify steam cache and its good again.

No windowed for me :p

I'm not sure what you are alt-tabbing to look at but when I'm just reading the internet I just use my *steam overlay*.

Well, I also used to get crash seldomly when alt-tabbing. Though, I have no such issue since I switched to windowed mode.

My computer has some decent/nice specs. My friends does not when he downsizes or maximizes alt tabs the game will lag massively or he may lose connection. I am able to downsize and maximize just fine It may have something to do with your computer trying to do to much.