What are the games ethics regarding sharing the loot ?

I have joined in on several MP games recently and have found it quite frustrating that there is no rules regarding the loot.

Some games I play the loot is just laying around and nobody takes it and in other games players run around "stealing" the loot of my kills.

What is right/wrong?

Normally, just go with whatever is ok with the host.

I normally just look after the wave is over, and then if I see anything good I tell everyone. And if it's soemthing I want, I also tell by saying something like, "Oooo nice. Upgrade for me.", or something along of that line.

If you're the host, just make sure everyone knows the looting rules you made up. And if they don't want to follow it, they don't need to be in your room.

Hello,

When I join a public game and I feel like it's worth staying there, I confront the host, usually by saying: "your game, your rules. What about looting?" - most people I've come across say "take what you need, but please let me know, if a (trans,) supreme or ultimate drops".

So in conclusion, no real rule set exists AFAIK; it all comes down to what the game host wants. You can always make your own game, if his rules suck.

Pretty much whatever the host says it is.

I myself prefer the area specific loot.
example
player 1 takes the south chokehold
Player 2 takes the north chokehold
player 3 takes the east crystal

and everyone only loots in their own area.

It is generaly a bad idea to try to identify loot and take it during the wave, some players might use the excuse of
but items will vanish. Yes the crappy items wil vanish if there are to many but those are the worst anyway, no reason to risk losing
just to save some mana.

Yes the crappy items wil vanish if there are to many butthose are the worst anyway, no reason to risk losing just to save some mana.

Could you please edit your post? I read that as butt hose ._.

It is generaly a bad idea to try to identify loot and take it during the wave, some players might use the excuse of but items will vanish. Yes the crappy items wil vanish if there are to many but those are the worst anyway, no reason to risk losing just to save some mana.

i think loot vanishes randomly regardless of quality... its not uncommon to have trans dissapiered to leave place for cursed

Usually the looting policy is up to the host. If I am as the host, I expect the players to ask for the looting policy if it is unclear. I usually do tell what the policy is at the beginning of the run.

If running normal campaign maps, I hope that the players loot only upgrades and as much they can well before the wave has about 1000-800 mobs or so left. This way everyone can get an ok share from the end of wave auto-sell mana. If there is a problem, I usually remind about the policy and ask from the person that has not understood this to confirm that the rules are ok.

If doing the shards maps, I like the area concentrated looting policy, which Hisoka mentioned.

Maybe I could make a TC where it has game conditions in the corner of the screen. Like:

Loot: Take only items you can use.
Build: App Towers and Auras.
Character Boost: Not Allowed.
Character Type: DPS

Or a roll the dice for items with Trans or better quality.

You'll get a preview of the item if someone loots it, and you can press need or greed or pass.

Please don't ever suggest a roll system. I would much rather have someone pick an ultimate from my map without telling me, than deal with the drama that ensues with loot rolls. Mmorpg staples do not belong in a motd. Coming from mmorpgs, this game is a breath of drama free air... I'd prefer it stay that way.

I think that if there was a universal rule for looting, it would be this:

Do not spend so much time looting that you are not paying attention to what is going on, and you end up jeopardizing the defenses.

example

It is generaly a bad idea to try to identify loot and take it during the wave, some players might use the excuse of
but items will vanish. Yes the crappy items wil vanish if there are to many but those are the worst anyway, no reason to risk losing
just to save some mana.

That's how I do it.

when I play with people, I tell them to take whatever they want when I host, first come first served is my motto.

I just say don't be too grabby cause we all want the loot to turn into mana at the end of the wave.

But if a host is nice and they say let them get the first picks at a item, I listen. If the guy is an jerk, then I'll be sneaky and take whatever I want :) Ninja style!

I've never gotten caught yet! muhAHhAHA!

i would like to see standardised loot rules...
when im not host of a game i point out trans/sups (havent played multiplayer since ults) because i dont want to just take it when all im doing is DPSing/upping, but then other players run over and loot it
(i nab any nice looking accessories i see though >=D )

when im hosting a game players can loot what they want (within reason... no hoovering up whole chokes) except for supremes/ults... which id like to be notified about

*edit*
or even better... id love to see it implemented ingame so that each player has their own loot
-player 1's loot doesnt show up on player 2's client (and vice versa)
TL2/D3 style
and it would foster multiplayer... because you wouldnt have to share loot (pft... sharing)

Easy, if you are attending listen or inquire with the host. Some hosts are too ****ish and have a no looting rule, I think that's not fair as if you are attending a game and helping with it, you are at least are entitled to your upgrades.

Obviously those who take advantage of that are not uncommon and once I had to kick a guy because he was mass looting my game, "all were upgrades"....

If you are the host, make your rules be clear, I accept no ninja looting and no mass looting, *I warn both in advance and before kicking**, and usually pay close attention to people's behavior, but you are entitled to pick what you need as upgrades, after all you are/if playing and helping with the map.

Some people are too ambitious, I once had a game in Cliffs and after the wave was over a guy zoomed into a trans and picked it up, without saying a word or asking for permission, also without paying attention there were a couple of sups on the floor, got insta kicked and lost the chance to pick the better stuff.

In another run, a private game this time, there was this new guy actively helping with the game, repairing, upgrading, suggesting, etc.... on one run a **really** good trans pristine fell, he asked for permission, I checked in and still gave it to him.

He was like

:-O

example

just to save some mana.

Ya but that doesn't even necessarily work unless your grouped with people you work with a lot. Because I've had in a public game once people running into my lane and snatching up things real quick and going back to their lane and host not even notice.

i would like to see standardised loot rules...
when im not host of a game i point out trans/sups (havent played multiplayer since ults) because i dont want to just take it when all im doing is DPSing/upping, but then other players run over and loot it
(i nab any nice looking accessories i see though >=D )

when im hosting a game players can loot what they want (within reason... no hoovering up whole chokes) except for supremes/ults... which id like to be notified about

*edit*
or even better... id love to see it implemented ingame so that each player has their own loot
-player 1's loot doesnt show up on player 2's client (and vice versa)
TL2/D3 style
and it would foster multiplayer... because you wouldnt have to share loot (pft... sharing)

I agree with different loot, but it'll bring in the crying of "Multiplayer gets better loot than us solo players. This is unfair trendy!" and "People with friends get more loot!" and things like that. Generally what happened with D3 and TL2.

My reaction - Well, you're not actually losing any loot, are you? The person playing with 3 other friends is not actually gaining loot either. If his friends want to share loot, that's fine. That person, however, is not gaining any extra loot.

edit - Honestly I'd just like to be notified when a really good item drops, and have it auto lock or give me the option to lock it. Lock it meaning that no one can pick it up until I unlock it. Also will not allow the item to despawn for another item.

Locking it would allow me to determine if the upgrade is good for someone else, as well as prevent a ninja just running around grabbing it.

My reaction - Well, you're not actually losing any loot, are you? The person playing with 3 other friends is not actually gaining loot either. If his friends want to share loot, that's fine. That person, however, is not gaining any extra loot.

was my reaction too...

My rules are to have everyone pick up as much crap as you possibly can during the wave, and make sure your lanes' defenses hold. Having everyone do this actually banks more mana per wave for everyone, not just me.

I have also seen trans loot disappear because of map's item limits. It seems to be especially prevalent when there are a lot of ogres- their 'always drop 3 items' seems to override the existing rule of 'only make terrible items disappear' that is generally in effect.

When I host public aqua nm surv, I usually go by "loot only during build phase, 3 items max per wave. I follow the same rule.".

This keeps the guest players focused on "surviving". I observed some interesting things:
- Other players "watch" each other to make sure everyone follow the rule (meaning more shift map and better situation awarness).
- Players don't just randomly pick whatever is close to them at wave end. They describe the item and ask if anyone is interested.

I was fairly suprised that it worked so well: not picking item during combat phase require a lot of discipline (but I improved my survival rate a lot once I started doing that :-) ).

From what some guests told me, it is very hard to find some hosts that allows them to pick items on aqua surv, so when they have reasonnable rules, they don't mind following them (and making sure everyone follow them so host is not disappointed I guess).