Dungeon Defenders Etiquette

i think this list is almost perfect. personally i dont mind leveling up newbs. even if they dont have a mic. i usually dont do glitter on insane with them cause i know there are some out there who dont listen to someone when they say bring me the mana. and i really have only kicked someone if they either; a- dont listen, b- have a mic and tons of background noise, or c-annoy the bageezes outta me with trying to continously tell me they wanna a weapon/pet for free/mana/garbage items. you should also add that if you just wanna hang around and try and trade your stuff away, you should advertise it by having a character named 'trade lobby' or announce it. that way people know you may not be doing a level for a little bit and gives them the chance to move on sooner.

not sure if anyone has mentioned it or not, but you totally should submit this list to classic22 as a newb/veteran player guide. that might actually make the game alot more enjoyable for all. and i would have put 90% kick rate.... :P

Also don't name your characters don't kick me lol! For someone like me that makes me want to kick them right away, cuz i dont listen ;p Also if you have a squeaky voice, don't turn on your mic. A friend of mine hates squeakers and insta-kicks them every time they mutter a syllable.

I love music/singing. As long as it is music :D Also, if you join while someone has to wait at their tavern for a friend or to go do something... isn't that your choice :)

both very true. nothing wrong with music and singing, as long as its understandable. and as long as the person listening doesnt start singing with it, especially if it happens to be gangsta rap. dont know if anyone else has run into this kid, but i've hopped into a room a couple times with this hispanic kid that thinks his gear and his heros are the best of the best.... even though his characters are around lvl 50. and he is constantly yelling trying to talk over EVERYONE else in the session. and on top of that he goes from english to spanish to english to spanglish everytime he'd take a breath. also has one hell of a gutter mouth for someone his age. sounds like hes around 8 or so

The "etiquette" outlined here is in no way a reflection of how I or TE recommend you conduct yourselves.

Calling players "noobs" and the like are not a good reflection on someone handing out lessons on etiquette.

Keep it civil, and let's stop the insults on newer players. We were all there once and no doubt others have helped you along the way.

The "etiquette" outlined here is in no way a reflection of how I or TE recommend you conduct yourselves.

Then I think we can take from this why DD is so annoying to play except when you host your own game. If the game doesnt support the ability to shape your game experience people will do it themselves, and if TE don't like it they certainly don't provide the tools to host games they do like.

[Quote]Calling players "noobs" and the like are not a good reflection on someone handing out lessons on etiquette.

Keep it civil, and let's stop the insults on newer players. We were all there once and no doubt others have helped you along the way.[/QUOTE]

A new player is a "noob". This is very very basic and well accepted WWW.slang. I suspect you will have great difficulty stamping this one out.

Then I think we can take from this why DD is so annoying to play except when you host your own game. If the game doesnt support the ability to shape your game experience people will do it themselves, and if TE don't like it they certainly don't provide the tools to host games they do like.

A new player is a "noob". This is very very basic and well accepted WWW.slang. I suspect you will have great difficulty stamping this one out.

I certainly won't have issues removing it from your posts if you continue to use it in a derogatory way.

I like this post! Everything isn't correct as everyone will see it but that is how this guy feels! Respect as a host, a joiner, a defender is key! I will admit, I have had my baby cry into the mic, my apologies, I try not to let it happen...I also think that teaching the newer players the ways of the game is a big help! This way, when people start learning, they can join and be much more helpful to everyone else. My Glitterhelm motto, is anyone that joins gets to run that game, then I open it for new people again! I am not the nicest player, I kick people on many occasions, those who sell my defenses, who don't hit the crystal, and those who try to afk instead of playing for multiple rounds! Anything else is fine, you can mute a mic if that annoys you! Not everyone is a courteous player or host, I really don't like the rude ways people kick each other, like saying, what shape is Italy, or what do you do to a soccer ball, and then they kick the player, that is rude and uncalled for! Playing this game is meant to be a fun experience.

The funny thing is, that this post is mostly for the newer players! The players that do not frequent the forums lol! The only way to help the newer players is to do it in game, and try and be nice about it! Nice will most times beggit nice!

These are just my little opinions! I like the idea of having etiquette rules and the kind type of game play that would ensue, but there are too many people that will argue and have their own ways of doing things!! Thank you for your opinions and ideas on the subject!

And btw, Classic isn't trying to bash you, he is protecting Trendy from people thinking this post is from them! And the other part is just forum rules, coutreous to other players! Let's just refer to them as "Junior Defenders" then everyone can be happy!

I like this post!

I like the idea of having etiquette rules and the kind type of game play that would ensue, but there are too many people that will argue and have their own ways of doing things!! Thank you for your opinions and ideas on the subject!

Thanks! :-)
I don't intend this to be definitive, as I opened this post: these are "Some rules I play by, and hope to see in others." And in the majority others seem to agree, I'm happy for suggestions, I don't remember asking for demands to change how I like to play...

[Quote]And btw, Classic isn't trying to bash you, he is protecting Trendy from people thinking this post is from them! And the other part is just forum rules, coutreous to other players! Let's just refer to them as "Junior Defenders" then everyone can be happy![/QUOTE]

I wrote: "And as for players that are just dead weight: No, I won't level your noob at the cost of everyone else. If you ask, I may help later."
As to how this is insulting, I have no idea, it seems like a refusal to inconvenience other players and an offer of help to me...
And then he goes on to remove a completely valid point from my OP at the request of another poster. What right anyone has to sensor how I like to play is beyond me.

So, thanks for your veiws :-)
But your veiws of Classic's behavior and mine are very different.

To be fair, they are not trying to sensor how you play, just the things that are posted on the forum! The forum is a community tool and as a community, we should be as respectful and courteous as possible! In your lobby, by all means, do and say what you see as fit! The term is just seen as one that should not be used on the forum, some people might be upset by it and that is why Classic is ensuring that the post is friendly for all! Don't take it as anything against you....it seems that you try to play as fair as possible! Happy defending!

There's not even any reason to insta-kick somebody who's "too low" at the time. The game allows you to change your character between every wave.

I've had plenty of occasions where I was working on raising a new character, and then decided to join a high-level game and farm some gear, and would you guess what happened? I was able to *gasp* switch to a high-level character able to help the team *DOUBLE GASP **SHOCK** * I know, I know. It's amazing!

Maybe if you're asking them to change and they either won't or don't have any characters able to help out, I could see potential reason to kick. Otherwise you're just being impatient.

Thanks! :-)
I don't intend this to be definitive, as I opened this post: these are "Some rules I play by, and hope to see in others." And in the majority others seem to agree, I'm happy for suggestions, I don't remember asking for demands to change how I like to play...

I wrote: "And as for players that are just dead weight: No, I won't level your noob at the cost of everyone else. If you ask, I may help later."
As to how this is insulting, I have no idea, it seems like a refusal to inconvenience other players and an offer of help to me...
And then he goes on to remove a completely valid point from my OP at the request of another poster. What right anyone has to sensor how I like to play is beyond me.

So, thanks for your veiws :-)
But your veiws of Classic's behavior and mine are very different.

I just want to explain something before you take what I have done the wrong way.

Firstly, you titled the thread "Dungeon Defenders Etiquette" as if to say your word is gospel. Whilst I have no issues with the majority of what you say, you have made several harsh points that this community just does not agree with.

Having been a "noob" so long ago I still remember how it felt when an experienced player helped me out regardless of my level.

Level =/= skill. Tarring people with a "noob" brush is just not what we do here. How would you feel if I called you a noob? Let's treat people with the respect we deserve, and how anyone could not see noob as derogatory is beyond me. Try calling your boss or friend a noob and see their response.

I will censor inappropriate posts how I feel. That includes your opinion and how you play. If you upset people, then I have a job to do.

I honestly think this is a big misunderstanding, as your post is thought out quite well. Just with some extra unnecessary information. I mean no disrespect, and am only trying to make you see things from the other side of the fence.

I hope you can understand.

personally i've never been offended by being called a noob when I in fact was a noob...because it is a thing.

personally i've never been offended by being called a noob when I in fact was a noob...because it is a thing.

That's good for you, however of just one person complains, that's enough for me. The fact I've had 6 people message me about this is concerning.

I dont really care if somebody calls me a noob. But many people over use that word and make it very offensive. In my opinion people are not complaining about the word its self just how people use it.

I dont really care if somebody calls me a noob. But many people over use that word and make it very offensive. In my opinion people are not complaining about the word its self just how people use it.

Made me laugh, the word noob is more offensive to the guy that used it than it is to anyone else. Why? Because its nerdy as fudge to say the least and if you use it as an insult you are most likely retarded

I like this, any word can be used in a derogatory sense, and in this case, it is used to ridicule and belittle the newer players which is wrong, we should be building them up and helping them succeed, not making them feel bad because they don't have the experience that other players have!