An in-depth examination comparing social status to size in Etheria.

I first started this conspiracy theory when I noticed an unusual discrepancy in size when doing Survival on a certain map. I'll get to that in a moment, but first

THESIS: Your social status in the Dungeon Defenders universe is directly tied to your size. This could be for any number of reasons, and I'll go into them as I begin. For now though, the main thing to know is the basic hierarchy this game shows.

Low class citizens, the servants are very small. Likely to make them easier to deal with, they can't very well revolt against the upper class if they are only a fraction of the size. This also makes them easier to care for, as smaller portions of food and such are required to keep them alive and well.

The middle ground citizens. These are the people that the universe seems built for, as I'll go into in a bit.

Royalty / high class citizens. The "Big" people, so to say. This is the size we've been assuming many of the adults are.

The Four Legendary Heroes. The big 4 are practically deified, given how many works of art there are involving them around the world. The main characters are the children of the heroes, so they're still fairly small in comparison, but it is reasonable to assume that they'll reach their parents status one day.

Now, for the findings.

For my tool of comparison, I'm making use of my Adept. Reason being that she's not an overly tall class (IE Summoner) and is also standing up pretty straight in her idle animation (Unlike say, Barbarian or Demoness).

Now, first things first, the small class, aka Servants Quarters. The average adult in the Servant class seems to be just a touch smaller than your main characters. Of course, these are likely full grown adults in the quarters, whereas your characters are, again, CHILDREN.

Proof:

A typical shelf, notice how the top of the shelf is a hair shorter than the Adept, and that even the utensils or cups inside are all undersized in comparison.

A table. Again, notice how it's all built to a childs scale, but the fact that there are things like raw fish on the tables, suggest that it's inhabited by adults (I wouldn't trust children to safely cook fish)

IRREFUTABLE PROOF:

Makeshift bedding. Judging by the size of the blankets, pillows, and piles of hay, these would be made for the average servant living in the quarters.

Even a child of the legendary heroes is a greater in size than an adult servant.

MIDDLE CLASS.

There's no easier place to search for those who are meant to be middle class than in the place you spend a whole lotta time in DD. The tavern.

An adult in the middle class is a bit bigger than the childrens sizes, but not by nearly as much as you'd expect.

THE PROOF:

The size of the tables. While a good deal larger than those in the Servants Quarters, they are still only a tiny bit bigger than CHILDREN.

THE COMBAT DUMMIES, AND THIS IS BIG! The combat dummies are only a bit bigger than the children. Why in the world would they have combat dummies that are the size of children? Short answer: They wouldn't. Not unless the fully grown adults were near that size anyway! This is what I estimate the average height of a middle-class adult to be.

THE CONTRADICTION?

Not at all. We know the Tavern Keeper isn't all he's been made out to be. He stands tall in the Tavern, but even this is supported by the theory. While a Tavern Keeper may be a perfectly average middle-class job, this tavern is special. It was likely inhabited frequently by the four legendary heroes themselves, as I'm sure the children had a reason to come to this tavern specifically. Just kinda look at, and absorb the height of the bar that the Tavern Keeper stands at.

For comparison, I did a google search for Tavern Keeper, producing these results.

All 3 roughly chest high, whereas it's only WAIST high on the Tavern Keeper. He's likely high class, but very humble, so he doesn't completely go wild with all of his mana.

And finally, the high class.

The High class is bigger in size than the middle class, but are still smaller than the Legendary Heroes. Despite the oppression that the Servants face in Etheria, it seems like the middle class and upwards are all treated with a good deal of respect... sometimes.

THE PROOF.

Dining places in the throne room, made for those of the common class. This seems to indicate that they are not only accepting of common people visiting, but rather WELCOMING of those visiting the King and Queen. This also comes into play in the second image.

Being so welcoming to the middle class means that the stairs around the throne room have to be built, for what would likely just be a big step up to those of an upper class.

And of course, the thrones themselves. While they may look lavish and oversized, they also offer more hints. The small flat area on the bottom of the King's throne (The left) Seems to imply that those are where his feet would rest, and an easier indication of the King's size. The Queen, on the other hand, has a lowered throne, and it can be assumed her feet would rest on the ground.

Of course, visualizing this brings up a good question. If the KIDS are this big in comparison, they would naturally be a little bigger than even the upper class when they become adults.

But, just how big are the legendary heroes? The answer lies right behind the thrones.

The monster doors. These doors are all over the castle, and they sound to me like they were made for large people, or people as big as the 4 legendary heroes to walk through. Now this brings me back to something I mentioned at the beginning, that being that the heroes are seemingly deified. This would explain why, these doors are the size they are, and why they're EVERYWHERE. They'd likely want a group they hold in such high regard to easily be able to travel the castle, and offer assistance wherever it's needed.

So that's my base theory, but here's a bit more info I've discovered in other maps, for you to have some fun with. While it's established that the Servant's Quarters are made for Servants, the Tavern for the common man, and the Thrones in the Throne room for those of upper class stature, this still leaves the status of all the other maps.

So here I go a bit with my assumptions, taking this theory into consideration.

The Deeper Well - Servants

The biggest thing here is the Watermills, and their size. The average watermill seems to be near the size of a house, and this one is about twice as big as an adept. While this may be enough for someone of the Servant class, it'd be rather small to anyone else.

There's also the minuscule stairs and handrails around the well, MUCH too small for anyone else to make use of safely.
Foundries and Forges - Middle Class

Valves and Machinery seem to be built on the scale of someone in the Middle Class. Foundries and Forges is also special in that it contains...

What could very well be the Skeleton of a typical Middle Class person. Likely having done something to run afoul the foreman.

Magus Quarters - Servants

The Magi in the Castle, other than the Legendary Hero, don't seem to be held in a very high regard, as they are all on the scale of Servants. Who knows, this may even be BECAUSE the Legendary Hero is so much greater, that all the other Magi have been "Demoted" so to speak.

Alchemical Labs - Servants

Seeing as the Alchemical Labs are run by the Magi as well, it makes sense that everything is still built to their scale. The lone exception is the giant piece of machinery near the middle, but even given the size of that, it could be assumed that it was built and / or used by the Legendary Mage himself.

Castle Armory - Middle Class

Bookshelves, along with the sizes of the books in them seem to indicate that most of those who use them are around the size of the middle class, or just a bit bigger than the children.

This is also seen in the size of the Archery target, and most importantly, more combat dummies built to this size. While I'm sure some people may have wanted to make up an excuse for the size of the dummies in the Tavern (Oh maybe the Tavern Keeper set them up so the kids would have a dummy their size to practice on) This doesn't explain the combat dummies in the ARMORY that the average SOLDIER would be training on.

Hall of Court - Middle Class

There are 2 things in this image to suggest it's largely inhabited by the middle class. One, the size of the door that is being faced, and 2, the heights of the candelabras that dot this map.

Royal Gardens - Upper Class / Servants

The Royal Gardens have several hedges that are near the childrens size, and several nice benches that are also near their size. Tending to the Royal Gardens is likely work for those of the Servant class, and those of the Upper Class can enjoy the minute details. At the same time, the biggest attraction in the map is a fountain, built far beyond the scale of the Servants, and likely intended for those of the Upper class.

The Ramparts - Servants / Middle

The statues littered around this map say a lot about the size of the people meant to inhabit it. While the lions would be very nice looking to those of the middle class, the comparatively smaller statues of the man holding a Sword and Shield would fit nicely with Servants. (You can compare, the statue is about the same size as the adept)

Endless Spires - Four Heroes

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF EVERYTHING! Given the size of all the random outcroppings of stone, along with the fact that there seems to be many monsters sealed behind bars, the most logical conclusion for Endless Spires seems to be that it's a prison that the Four Heroes have a very big part in maintaining.

The Summit - Four Heroes

Ah the summit, two main things to point out here. One, the stairs that you travel up and down on are HUGE, much too big for anyone of the Servant OR Middle Class to traverse easily. The second is the broken statue on the left, and the fact that this is BEFORE the dragon arrives. The Summit has likely been attacked before, and for that reason, isn't very welcoming to anyone but the four heroes.

Glitterhelm Caverns - Middle Class

And finally, Glitterhelm. Much like Foundries and Forges, a common Middle Class job seems to involve lots of fire and heat. The bodies of the Servants may be too frail to handle such work, and those of the Upper Class wouldn't do such hard labor.

That's what I've deducted so far. Has anyone else noticed anything a bit out of the ordinary on this matter?

got a tl; dr edition?

tl;dr: Because [Evidence in the post], OP believes that the caste system in DD is such that your height or potential for growth is more or less directly correlated with your position in society.

Odd, somewhat crazy theory, but still pretty amusing. To a degree, it also applies to monsters. You've got the small, servant-class goblins/skeletons/kobolds/archers, mid-class orcs/mages/warriors, upper-class sharken/djinn and commander ogres, then royalty is boss monsters (they're all pretty huge.) No idea where spiders come into that but whatever.

Not funny nor very informative. Point?

It is for those that enjoy trying to figuring out why things are done the way they are.

Just a wordier way of saying

Hey guys check out these scale inconsistencies

And then offering an explanation as to why they are.

Where are all the voices in the tavern coming from if it's just you and him in there?

If they are all children, why do the girls seem to have some, erm, grownup-type features?

Why do the tables seem to be at uncomfortable heights compared to the chairs?

Would a green ogre still be higher rank than a purple orc?

got a tl; dr edition?

Glad I'm not the only one who wanted a tl;dr version.

If they are all children, why do the girls seem to have some, erm, grownup-type features?

I'd say they're young teenagers. You don't exactly suddenly grow mentioned features once you hit 18.

That's true, but it's not raining 24/7 (Even the intro to the game shows a bright sunny day).

Really, some of the past exploits the parents have had is something I'd like to see elaborated upon. Maybe as a rated M ultra violent brawler.

It's a cartoonish fantasy land where nothing makes sense, and we're picking on the scale?

I could point out a million other things in other fantasy games that don't make sense, but it doesn't really matter, because it's fantasy.

Glitterhelm Caverns - Middle Class

And finally, Glitterhelm. Much like Foundries and Forges, a common Middle Class job seems to involve lots of fire and heat. The bodies of the Servants may be too frail to handle such work, and those of the Upper Class wouldn't do such hard labor.

That's what I've deducted so far. Has anyone else noticed anything a bit out of the ordinary on this matter?

they must have paper thin legs to use those chairs/tables 0.o