Oh Trendy how you annoy me!

Why does this happen. This has to be one of the most infuriating things EVER!!!
I started Misty NMHC surv from the beginning, was on wave 28 when suddenly. Dungeon defenders disconnects me from trendy servers and starts to update. SERIOUSLY!!!

This is dam ridiculous. It takes ages to setup and even longer to get there. At least let me finish what im up to before you make me update the game. basically 2 hours of my life wasted now. Cheers!

Why does this happen. This has to be one of the most infuriating things EVER!!!
I started Misty NMHC surv from the beginning, was on wave 28 when suddenly. Dungeon defenders disconnects me from trendy servers and starts to update. SERIOUSLY!!!

This is dam ridiculous. It takes ages to setup and even longer to get there. At least let me finish what im up to before you make me update the game. basically 2 hours of my life wasted now. Cheers!

You can now start over from any previous wave you've completed.

Start from 27 and deal with it.

It really needs to act like Team Fortress 2, if you're in a game (or server in TF2's case) it doesn't kick you when an update comes out, you DL the update when you finish and you can't enter any other servers until you do update because other servers have already been updated.

This most-recent patch might be an exception, as I know Ice mentioned it being an exception to the typical rules. I've been out of town so I haven't downloaded it yet myself. But for any patches previously, the game did not kick me out when the new patch was released. I've managed to play for more than ten hours past the release of a few previous patches, and the game ran just fine. It didn't initiate the update at all until I exited out of DD completely.

As far as I have been told, this problem usually occurs when you are disconnected from steam [which we have no control over]. At this point, when you reconnect, it starts updating.

The game doesn't check for updates while it's running - only when you start the game through steam, or periodically throughout the day if you're not playing. It's also very rare for Trendy to take their servers down for an update, so getting kicked for one doesn't happen often (I can't remember the last time I disconnected because of TrendyNet going down for an update, if it's ever happened at all).

The most common cause of disconnecting from Ranked is actually steam downtime.

As far as I have been told, this problem usually occurs when you are disconnected from steam [which we have no control over]. At this point, when you reconnect, it starts updating.

I don't think it's correct that you have no control:

Well i did bring this up with valve BurtonJ response was.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30028836&postcount=21

--------------------------
Steam maintenance should generally only impact matchmaking (for games that use Steamworks Matchmaking). In the few cases where you get kicked from a game, that is an issue where some APIs were not implemented in an optimal way. We have plans to work with the developers of these titles to help address this issue.
---------------

So i guess it's down to valve to work with trendy to stop this happing.

So a Valve employee saying Steam maintenance shouldn't kick you out of a game.