Reflectors - In front or behind?

So, I've started trying to use EV walls a bit. I like the concept of the Reflect Beams, but I can't figure out where best to put them.

When I put them right behind my Physical Beams, it seems like ranged attacks (Mage fireballs, I've specifically noticed) target the Physical wall or a nearby minion instead of shooting at something beyond the Reflect, so the Reflect looks useless.

If I put my Reflects just in front of the Physical, Ogres come up and toss snot balls at my other defenses, since their hands are past the Reflects.

Is there a way to have my cake & eat it too? Can one reflect beam corral snot- and fire-balls? Or am I doing it wrong?

I haven't played with it much, and I've been on Overlord mode a lot, so it's also possible I've just not seen them really working.

Generally you will put your reflectors up a little behind the physical wall or just in front of your turrets (which are usually close to/near a physical wall). Too close to the physical wall and ogre's will just throw straight past them.

Small mobs shouldn't be too much of an issue when it comes to wall damage.

Generally you will put your reflectors up a little behind the physical wall or just in front of your turrets (which are usually close to/near a physical wall). Too close to the physical wall and ogre's will just throw straight past them.

Small mobs shouldn't be too much of an issue when it comes to wall damage.

Ok, thanks!

Depending on where the enemies come from, sometimes you can angle the walls so that when ogres shoot spitballs, the spitball bounces back and removes an entire section of minions. You can't always do it but if you pay attention you'll notice some stages really lend themselves to reflecting shots.

It also depends on location.
Sometimes ogres will be shooting much more from further away (the pit in Talay or east in cliffs are good examples of this). Reflects in front of the wall are better here. If they're closing on your defences quickly, and are at the walls before they shoot, then you should put them behind.

Well, NM experience shows that the only enemies that ever reach the towers are Ogres, spiders and DEWs. The last ones don't shoot enything, anti-spider reflection is situational, but Ogres certainly tend to spend lots of time stuck just at your walls and shoothing from them. Reflection wall can not only protect your vulnerable towers or minions, but also provide a lot of additional DPS to kill these baddies.
Truly saying, reflection walls helped me defeat the Spider Queen. With Buff Beam they return more than 150x original damage, so each time she attacks, she gets hit by 600K+ and stunned.

Every time I place reflection walls behind main walls. If an enemy doesn't make it even to the line of barricades, it's not worth bothering.

• 1 month later...
Generally you will put your reflectors up a little behind the physical wall or just in front of your turrets (which are usually close to/near a physical wall).

Putting reflector close to turrets has the advantage of protecting them from spider webs. This can be important when you have a single tower protecting from a constant stream of wyvern for example.

But in Wizardy challenge for example, it is a better idea to put them in front of the wall to protect them from the wizard.

Putting them in front of the wall was also useful against copter missile rafale.

• 1 month later...
For what it's worth I put the reflectors in front of my physbeams. Mobs ignore/walk through it and if the ogres shoot snotballs at my turrets the physbeams get saved by the reflectors

• 1 month later...
I've actually always built the reflects in front of the walls except in situations where I'm trying to defend a particular turret or something. I've never had a real issue with this, ogres do throw balls past sometimes but don't target crystal so not really bothered by it, don't do massive damage to defences! I prefer this way because it protects my walls, particularly minions walls seem to benefit from this.

• 3 weeks later...
I generally put them in front since I use minion walls. There are times where I will put them in both the front and back though, depending on how much DU I needed for other defenses.

I recall doing this when I was still new to NM and was farming ramparts survival. The ones in front would stop the usual webs and ogre spit balls, but the copters would fly around and nuke my minions from the back. So I would use two reflects to protect them from all projectiles.

• 4 weeks later...
reflect beams tend to work better in front of physical walls for me, otherwise djinns focus on zapping my physical walls which i like not to die instantly considering they keep the ogres away from the rest of my defences

• 1 month later...
I was actually wondering this myself, but I figured it was always supposed to go either in front or behind. But it makes sense it depends on what you're defending against. Until I get to Nightmare I think for the most part it should be in front as there's not that many ogres and they don't survive long enough up against the walls to do any real damage with their shots.

• 1 month later...
In front.

I use minion walls so its no big deal if they dont actually reflect something.

PLUS, it acts as sort of a bait for dessumoning djinn. I would rather want them to take out the reflect rather than a TBB.

• 1 month later...
Walls? We don't need no stinking walls! Even though I have a Eve with over 4k wall hp I hardly ever use a wall because archers with mages always make the best self repairing wall. Also always place reflects in front of your wall /minions , yes the ogres will toss a snot ball into the heart of your defenses but that's what repair is for. Also in Nmhc if you don't place a reflect as your first line of defense expect heavy damage from rockets , webs , fire balls and the first snot ball the ogre tosses before he actually gets to your wall / minions. This is exp from me clearing almost all game content on NMHC.