Kobold Bombers constantly running through defences, GAME BREAKING.

This has been a problem ever since the game was first released but now I see it even more than ever while playing as Summoner.

I've gotten to the last stage of waves, such as the Desert Campaign Map and The Summit before the boss wave and my defences are instantly lost because the Kobold's target the crystals, ignore unit collision of my defences and just run through, blowing up the crystal with 3-6 attacks and there's nothing I can do about it apart from build outside their spawn, which is really inefficient for some levels and completely ruins my designs.

I think the Kobold's are even more broken for the summoner...It seems that all of my Unit and Defences are fine until the last wave where they just run through them literally, no collision or anything and they just blow up the crystal. Maybe this problem was fixed for other defences, like Squire's or Apprentices (although I don't think it has been) but it is still a huge problem and I literally don't want to play the game any more as I'm wasting half a hour or more of time to finally have everything I've worked for and upgraded to instantly be lost to a stupid glitch.

Please, please fix this glitch as it is completely game breaking, I can't complete waves on harder difficulties because of it.

EDIT: THIS HAPPENS ON ALL CHARACTERS, JUST MORE WITH THE SUMMONER THAN THE OTHERS! I AM PLACING PERFECTLY SOLID AND STABLE WALLS, ENEMIES ARE TARGETING MINIONS/WALLS AS INTENDED BUT 1 OUT OF EVERY 10 KOBOLDS DECIDES TOO PHASE THROUGH EVERYTHING AND ATTACK THE CRYSTAL DIRECTLY!

• 2 weeks later...
place a phys beam infront/behind your minions?

I shouldn't have too, unless they're suppose to phase through things? If the game's designed for these enemies to go past all defences and bomb the core then fair enough but why would it be designed like that?

What if I haven't bought the Series EV expansion? I shouldn't have too pay for a fix surely?

Minions aren't meant to be used as a wall. They are meant to support/boost your current defense by providing you a separate pool for units instead of taking up DU. Minions can't keep close enough together in order to provide you with a solid wall so it's most likely why the kobolds are running through your defense. As you get further on in survivals, enemies move way too quick in order to provide any sort of walled defense via minions for sure. They just really weren't made for that purpose.

If you fidget them around enough you can sort of make something work, but you should really be applying crowd control defenses e.g. gas traps, walls, slow auras to stop enemies from getting past a certain spot, rather than trying to make a wall out of minions.

But this happens too me with my Squire and he actually does make a wall.

What is the point in unit collision detection in this game if they can run through walls? I'm sorry but as much as you will bash me about playing with only one hero, I play with only one hero.

I don't play hardcore survivals or whatever, I play with my best hero and only him because I wan't one hero, not too switch between loads of heroes for the perfect defence. Maybe if the game was made so I could switch out between a hero with the press of a button much like in Trine and it was designed this way, then maybe. Or perhaps if I could use multiple heroes at once like in a RTS, then maybe.

As the game stands it plays sort of like playing World of Warcraft...I could have a max level character but I'd have too log out and switch too another character that I'd have too separately grind with just too get another job done and then I'd have too switch back too the other.

I feel that every character that builds something uses it as some sort of wall, it's the whole point of tower defences. I build the Orcs as the Summoner because they are large, block a large area and use a large sweeping AOE attack too knock things back, much like the Bouncers. The difference being that my units aren't exactly as powerful stats wise but they're mobile and cheaper in some aspects.

My minions block everything and they should do, why shouldn't they? It's the difference between making a line of two orcs or a line of 3/4 archers. I shouldn't have too observe a Kobold suddenly ghost walk through my defences like they don't exist and lose the mission.

I also should be able to play a hero without switching out...otherwise I'd find this as a major flaw too both buying the DLC in the first place and being able to play him.

So you're saying the only way too play Summoner is too combine him with another hero who's defences are working? KEEPING IN MIND THAT THESE KOBOLDS HAVE BEEN PHASING THROUGH MY DEFENCES SINCE THIS GAME HAS BEEN RELEASED! IT'S NEVER BEEN FIXED!

In it's current state I really just can't play Dungeon Defenders. Me and my friend keep playing a level and we keep losing towards the very end because the Kobold's decide too phase at some points...and it's Random.

They should be targeting my minions, that's the point. They do target my minions... 9/10 kobolds target my minions, deal the damage...that's the whole point of putting a defence down, so they can attack it. My defences aren't giant gaping holes, they're a line so they take damage and in turn I have too heal and upgrade my defences and manage this sort of play style. 1 out of every 10 Kobolds ignoring the standard unit behaviour and running into the crystal is game breaking. I'm sorry but it's just not how it's suppose too work, that's the game playing up not my build or the minions or the defences of other heroes otherwise it would be a constant behaviour.

Me and my friend keep coming back to this game every so often to play it Casually. I know this game has taken a huge down fall because of the apparent gap between Casual and Hardcore gamers that they keep pushing and pushing (all of the DLC is targeted towards Hardcore players and some of them are impossible just too unlock things we've paid for unless you're playing together, switching out and also have the gear from the harder area's, like nightmare.) further apart but honestly, I just wan't too play this one hero with his one unique abilities.

At the moment the only way I can play Barbarian is if I switch him out or play with others online, that is why my friend plays barbarian with me and I manage the defences as my Summoner...because I paid for him because he was interesting and unique, different content from the same stuff I've played almost a year ago and are bored off. I don't want too be forced too play with other heroes because of a bug in the game.

And yes, you can complain at me if I was whining that the game is too hard and I don't want too switch on Nightmare bla bla bla etc...I'm not. I'm complaining about a bug, where Kobolds decide too attack the crystal directly, phase through all defences and end the match for me...1 out of every 10 kobolds decides too do this NOT ONLY AS SUMMONER but as ALL PLAYABLE HEROES.

This is the bug report forum and I am reporting a bug.

Enemies sometimes completely ignore defenses and walk through them! I have had kobolds and especially Ogres walk on through solid defenses. The defenses are fully intact and NOT moved by sharken this BS was happening pre djinn so sharken are not my point. Sometimes collision just seems to turn off! Wyverns flying through harps Magic missles and minion fire! Ogres walking though walls kobolds running through walls and going straight at crystal! This does happen plain and simple! please fix this as it can truly destroy the game play experience.

First of all, I'm assuming you're host because if you're not, then lag can show creatures running through everything. I've seen it many times.

Secondly, Kobolds will ignore defenses if they have a clear path to the crystal, so ignoring your defenses isn't a bug.

That just leaves collision detection. So you're saying that they get by your barriers on Summit? I have never had this happen on flat stages like Summit. Did you check all your walls by trying to walk through them on all sides? If you can get by, then enemies can. I'm guessing it's the bottom crystal in Summit you're having trouble with? Are you using 2 spike barriers per side? If you post a screenshot of your walls, I can try to give you some advice.

I have seen it happen sometimes. Mobs can and will wiggle around blockades like it's nothing and continue straight to the crystal. Suiciders and ogres are the main ones that pull it off on occasion. It is true that lag can make them act that way, but mobs to a default can walk through everything. It's just that collision is normally turned on for actual defenses and players while off for minions (yet we can't walk through them ;_; ). If you have played karathiki, then watch the wyverns on that map. You will probably get a migraine trying to deal with wyverns flying through game-border walls, invisible walls that they can't be damaged while they are inside, and....that one random wyvern that came from a direction I never thought it could (this one made me afraid to play karathiki).

My suggestion to you, since you probably have a squire/countess, is to use slicers instead of spike blockades and have an orc/ogre by them. The slicers should kill mostly every suicider that enters range while the orc/ogres kill the random lucky ones.

Mobs do get lucky which is why you have several methods to guarantee that it almost never happens.

I have seen it happen sometimes. Mobs can and will wiggle around blockades like it's nothing and continue straight to the crystal.

First, you need to build your walls properly. If you do, there are certain spots on certain maps where mobs get by your barriers, and it's always the same spots. Since the op is complaining like it happens everywhere, incl. flat Summit, I suspect improper wall building. If op post screenshots, then it will become crystal clear.

Suiciders and ogres are the main ones that pull it off on occasion.

Suiciders can jump from higher elevation to lower if the drop is not too great. You need to take this into account when walling. Alchemic Lab is a good example of this.

mobs to a default can walk through everything. It's just that collision is normally turned on for actual defenses and players while off for minions (yet we can't walk through them ;_; ).

There are invisible walls that prevent players from going to some places on the map, including certain spawn points. It doesn't mean they can go through your defenses. Karathiki is different issue - that's a mob pathing issues (and yes, there are a lot of mob pathing issues where they get stuck in parts of the map, incl. parts that you are not allowed to reach).

First, you need to build your walls properly. If you do, there are certain spots on certain maps where mobs get by your barriers, and it's always the same spots. Since the op is complaining like it happens everywhere, incl. flat Summit, I suspect improper wall building. If op post screenshots, then it will become crystal clear.

Suiciders can jump from higher elevation to lower if the drop is not too great. You need to take this into account when walling. Alchemic Lab is a good example of this.

There are invisible walls that prevent players from going to some places on the map, including certain spawn points. It doesn't mean they can go through your defenses. Karathiki is different issue - that's a mob pathing issues (and yes, there are a lot of mob pathing issues where they get stuck in parts of the map, incl. parts that you are not allowed to reach).

Not exactly. Sometimes minions and defenses can push mobs around a blockade when they normally wouldn't. This might be the op's problem since his is happening a bit too frequently. I was just listing a bunch of possible causes.

Yeah, suiciders tend to fall off of higher elevation and then light their matches.

I meant how mobs can potentially move through everything else but defenses. Not that it happens often though. I think I have only seen mobs pass through stuff twice, but that may have just been lag.

It's not just pathing with karathiki. Let's consider the northeast crystal with wyverns coming from the south and west. The wyverns from middle north spawn inside an invisible wall that protect them until they are within about 10m of the crystal. At that range, 1 wyvern can survive and attack the crystal if it's lucky. Wyverns from the south go through a building which keeps them from being attacked until they are within 5-10m of the crystal. Then, there was that random wyvern that came from the northeast of that crystal. Never saw a wyvern spawn from there and there is nothing but a cave wall there, but it still happened and attacked crystal. Not sure how that happened, but it did shock me.

Of course, the op's problem is the summit so I doubt it's that. It might be that he didn't completely block off a path with an actual blockade.

Not exactly. Sometimes minions and defenses can push mobs around a blockade when they normally wouldn't. This might be the op's problem since his is happening a bit too frequently. I was just listing a bunch of possible causes.

Indeed, I have seen ogres pushing through other ogres, but again, in the same spots that they glitch past the barriers.

I think I have only seen mobs pass through stuff twice, but that may have just been lag.

Yea, all bets are off if you're not host. If you don't get data from the host, the game seems to assume that the mob keeps walking straight, ignoring all physics and collisions.

It's not just pathing with karathiki. Let's consider the northeast crystal with wyverns coming from the south and west. The wyverns from middle north spawn inside an invisible wall that protect them until they are within about 10m of the crystal. At that range, 1 wyvern can survive and attack the crystal if it's lucky. Wyverns from the south go through a building which keeps them from being attacked until they are within 5-10m of the crystal. Then, there was that random wyvern that came from the northeast of that crystal. Never saw a wyvern spawn from there and there is nothing but a cave wall there, but it still happened and attacked crystal. Not sure how that happened, but it did shock me.

Wyvern spawns and paths on Karathiki suck, I agree. If you don't have strong auras up, it's game over. You can be perched on the crystal with towers watching it, and boom, you take crystal damage.

Of course, the op's problem is the summit so I doubt it's that. It might be that he didn't completely block off a path with an actual blockade.

Yea, that's what caught my eye. If he had said Misty, I would just nod.

Even if there are solutions too stop this it is still unenjoyable.

How upsetting is it too spend so many minutes playing too finally reach the final wave of a round and find that 3 kobold's have suddenly decided too squeeze through your well placed defences and just attack the crystal? It's not like I have unlimited units and it's difficult too put up a fail safe system on possible area's that it could happen and it's just not fun.

I have fully stopped playing until this is fixed and most people are just saying it's a part of the game or that I can't use minions and so on...It's against most TD rules...if you have a blockade and it's in the path way of the AI or runners path then it should attack that. It shouldn't phase through anything and it shouldn't switch priorities based on random behaviour. If every 9 Kobold's light their fuse and decide too bomb my walls/minions then why on earth does 1/2 out of every 10 Kobolds decide too light and run through my walls into the crystal?

If I can't walk through my walls why can minions? It's simply not enjoyable and it just makes the game feel so much less polished and unpredictable...like no matter what I do unless I'm doing everything perfectly I'll fail...and tbh I tried too solo the Desert DLC Campaign map for both the unlockable rewards and too have the crystal on my wall in the tavern...or heck too complete something I paid for and I couldn't do it...It took me so long teleporting around the map riding these flying carpets and everything just too finally watch 4 kobolds mess up my defences. They ran at a staircase and phased through 2 large orc minions that at every other part of the game completely sealed off every other attack, ran through 3 archers who were behind these orcs, also blocking the stair case...ran through 2 archers placed at the bottom of the crystal too kill wyvrens and bombed it.

I've never tried too play that campaign map again and I've just given up on the game. You say I can't play the summoner because he's only suppose too support and his minions apparently can't block (even though they block everything apart from the glitched kobolds which no one can block) so I can't play what I paid for unless I'm forced too play it in a style that others expect me too and since I'm playing solo I have too switch between other things...I can't play squire and things like that because the same things happen and to be honest I'm bored of it happening and I'm bored of the squire.

Bottom line is I shouldn't have too work around this...it is clearly a design fault in the game and how the AI works it should not be unpredictable like this...not in a TD styled game unless you specifically design it too be like that.

No it's not, I have a problem with the majority of levels on Insane or almost every single DLC campaign/mission that includes large mob waves and Kobolds.

If I recall correctly. Summoned orcs, ogres and DEWs move a bit in a small radius to attack monsters when in hold defensive move. If that's the case then they could have been attacking something next to the kobolds which could have opened a gap between the orcs thus letting the kobolds to slip by. So that might be your problem.

It seems like everyone is just making guesses, and no one actually knows what you're talking about. I have yet to see one person say they have seen your kobold barrier glitching problem, which affects all stages (that have sufficient numbers of kobolds) and happens everywhere on insane. I recommend you post a screenshot (it's F12 to take a screenshot in Steam) of your defenses and kobolds running through them.

I recommend you post a screenshot (it's F12 to take a screenshot in Steam) of your defenses and kobolds running through them.

Err... Think about what you said... Even assuming that he's watching the spot where one squeezes through like a hawk, not knowing before hand, and the lag for taking a picture is going to make getting a picture of it running through almost impossible.

Though, I agree that we can't really do anything until you actually post a screen-shot of enemies getting past. In my experence though, enemies on summit don't squeeze through. Instead, they're pushed off the walkway onto the mail "floor" of the level, which makes them be on the other side of your defenses.

Err... Think about what you said... Even assuming that he's watching the spot where one squeezes through like a hawk, not knowing before hand, and the lag for taking a picture is going to make getting a picture of it running through almost impossible.

At the minimum, he needs screenshots of his defenses - that's easy. I don't think it's that hard to capture a screen of the kobold running through if it happens all the time and takes more than one to kill the crystal, but that might or might not be necessary (we can likely figure it out just from his defense screenshots). I have used orcs as walls before, and it worked just fine for me (although inefficient use of mu - real walls with archer spam seemed more effective). Remember that he's not talking about specific cases here - he's got a problem that affects all stages - so I'm guessing he's doing something very different that we can't comprehend. He's made it clear that he doesn't want our builds; he wants his own build fixed, so it's up to him to provide the screens so that people can understand his problem.

Not every stage just the majority of stages. I even get the odd goblin that goes behind my defences which is odd but it is only 1. Sorry but I've really just given up with this game so I can't be bothered to put in effort recreating defences and playing just too screenshot at the right moment with my defences falling.

Generally it's the later levels that give me problems because I've completed everything on INSANE apart from the levels that I've experienced this bug with. I've experienced it on the desert campaign crystal shard DLC whatever it's called the main one and I've experienced it on The Summit and a few other levels here and there.

I can imagen why a lot of people haven't seen this is because a lot of you are maxed out and have perfect/multiple characters working alongside for defences where as I only just use one hero and I'm not even max level, I'm lvl 74 I think although my Squire reached lvl 70 before I quit last time.

I'll post a screenshot eventually...but seriously, it's not my defences since the routes should be blocked, I can't walk through them so minions shouldn't be able too. Summoner should be able too use his minions as walls...I've used them effectively in every other situation and I've had kobolds go past my Squire's defences before in the past although I can't remember the levels I use too play. Please don't treat me like I'm doing something wrong..I've completed and got through most of this game around the halloween patch and I understand how walls work and the gaps etc...I'm not putting huge holes through my defences and complaining about it, everything is literally lined up as close as it can get and it's still not working...they do actually just phase through them like there is no collision enabled or sometimes they squeeze through them, stopping for a split second but just passing through.

I don't understand why the AI is programmed too lock onto the crystal while detonating...In fact I don't understand the Kobolds at all. Sometimes they don't bother lighting their rockets, sometimes they go after players if a player is fighting near them..or sometimes they ignore them...sometimes they light their rockets in the purple spawn area so no matter what happens they'll just detonate straight away for whatever reason and sometimes they bomb the wall...which is what I thought they were suppose to do? Like target what's in front of their pathing instead of ignoring it. I honestly honestly think that the way these things work needs too be polished or just...explained..fixed..I don't know...I feel like they're the most broken unit in the game and I would happily see them replaced with something else that deals just as much damage as long as it wasn't broken.

I can imagen why a lot of people haven't seen this is because a lot of you are maxed out and have perfect/multiple characters working alongside for defences where as I only just use one hero and I'm not even max level, I'm lvl 74 I think although my Squire reached lvl 70 before I quit last time.

The later insane levels are actually quite popular for nightmare players to get xp while afk, and you put your character in a safe place for the 1.3x no hero damage multiplier. For squire-only builds (cuz quicker to not change characters), you do often have kobolds and ogres hitting the barriers, so barriers do need to work run after run.

So now you understand that we have builds that deal with kobolds just fine, at insane-level stats and solo. There are a lot of nice people here who are willing to help you with them as well, if you are willing to make the effort. If you want to make your own build work and wonder why it doesn't, then post some screens of your defenses. If after making the effort, we all see what you mean about this kobold bug, then I can't speak for others, but I at least will be your supporter in describing and asking for the bug to be fixed. But if you don't make any effort and just keep posting complaints about a problem we don't really understand, then I don't see why anyone will take you seriously. Drop us a note if you ever "un-quit" this game.

Not every stage just the majority of stages. I even get the odd goblin that goes behind my defences which is odd but it is only 1. Sorry but I've really just given up with this game so I can't be bothered to put in effort recreating defences and playing just too screenshot at the right moment with my defences falling.

I'll post a screenshot eventually...but seriously, it's not my defences since the routes should be blocked, I can't walk through them so minions shouldn't be able too. Summoner should be able too use his minions as walls...I've used them effectively in every other situation and I've had kobolds go past my Squire's defences before in the past although I can't remember the levels I use too play. Please don't treat me like I'm doing something wrong..I've completed and got through most of this game around the halloween patch and I understand how walls work and the gaps etc...I'm not putting huge holes through my defences and complaining about it, everything is literally lined up as close as it can get and it's still not working...they do actually just phase through them like there is no collision enabled or sometimes they squeeze through them, stopping for a split second but just passing through.

I don't understand why the AI is programmed too lock onto the crystal while detonating...

Well, according to the plot, monsters are trying to destroy the crystals, not your defenses, so I don't see anything surprising about them going for the crystal. From the game-play side, most tower defense games have the monsters going for your (object to defend) and not attacking the towers at all, so again, I don't really see what's unusual about this.

In fact I don't understand the Kobolds at all. Sometimes they don't bother lighting their rockets, sometimes they go after players if a player is fighting near them..or sometimes they ignore them...sometimes they light their rockets in the purple spawn area so no matter what happens they'll just detonate straight away for whatever reason and sometimes they bomb the wall...

Well, from comparing some levels, I think the game designers set how likely they are to "light up", because on some levels they are programmed to light-up before leaving the purple explicitly. Also, when they take ANY damage, they always seem to light up right away. This often heppens with a stray shot from a familiar, or a hit from a harpoon at long range.

Like target what's in front of their pathing instead of ignoring it.

That's not how monsters in this game work. For one thing, most of them prioritize things that are attacking them. (Though there are exceptions, I think.

I honestly honestly think that the way these things work needs too be polished or just...explained..fixed..I don't know...I feel like they're the most broken unit in the game and I would happily see them replaced with something else that deals just as much damage as long as it wasn't broken.

Here's my view on what you've said:
1) Kobolds act semi-randomly, light up at semi-random times, and seems to agro crystals more than other stuff...
Sounds just fine to me. Though, I admit they're easier to deal with as you get more range later.

2) Kobolds "leak" through defenses.
I haven't seen this problem, unless I had a weapon with high knock-back, enemies are falling off, or I didn't place walls right. (I'm assuming you're not playing survival)

If this happens it's a bug, but honestly, I at least want to see your defenses and stats before I consider this a game bug. Also, please show a level that's NOT a boss level. Two out of 3 of those (boss levels) have places where enemies fall off, going around your defenses. Another option would be inviting one of us into your game to watch it.