Before writing this, I've spent literally all day (its cloudy, in my defense) making, and tweaking a build to get me to w30 of NMHCMM aqua. I can get to wave 20 reliably every time- I'm working with what I'm convinced is one of the best possible builds for this map (I NEVER have sharken charge walls- NEVER have djinn desummon). My problem is that, every single time, the assassins will just kill me in 2 hits under a strength drain if I ever come out of my hideyhole (on a dps monk, with around 35% phys and 30% all res on all gear pieces). If I don't come out of my hideyhole to kill ogres and repair walls periodically, or my walls go down- because the effing ASSAsSINS run up and do trillions of damage to them before they die to auras/harpoons, ect.

I'm running with a 2800 attack, 1600 speed, 1600 range aura monk and a square building towers with almost identical stats. My EV has 1500 tower health and 1700 tower attack, and my huntress has around 1200 in all stats. My summoner has around 1600 all stats.

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm reasonably sure it isn't my build, as I've tried ones from kandar and others and found mine to be considerably more effective. Also, to people who have done up to w30, how the hell do you not DIE?

Yeah, I've tried that. it's failed me multiple times pre-19, there are goldfish that come in from the northeast past the single fireball tower no problem, there's 4 DU wasted on walls at the south crystal, trap placement allows for sharken to charge walls, albeit rarely. I could go on. Additionally, that build doesn't have any information on summoner minion placement whatsoever. I'm asking for help from people who know how to do this in my current gear, not a link to the guide everyone and their mother knows about.

edit: Also, same problem with assassins just wrecking me and everything else in that one >.

a few choices

1, better hp. You don't specify, but I have 1600 on my monk (~140k hp), and can take a decent beating. 90/80/70/50 resists.
2. Good fairy. Seahorsey probably doesn't make much difference at that point.
3. Buy the summoner. Phase shift repairs/flash heals are mighty useful. I have a 6000 heal fairy on a 40k hp summoner, and when I leave phase shift to collect mana, I'm healed as quickly as I take damage. 10k per heal, 2-3 times per second.
4. Time the repairs. Ninja rushes tend to come in waves. So jump in a portal when they appear, then jump back. Confuses them.
5. Imp. Good lord. They drink mana, but they're amazing. And if you're getting hit, repairs are a pain anyway. with the imp, you get full mana, run a circuit of the map (don't even stop) and run back to your hideyhole.
6. If you're hitting wave 20 NMHC mix, you should be finding serious improvements to your gear. 250 myth drops like candy. If not, switch back to non-mix until you do. Switch out characters to find decent builder weapons (the loldrops are ridiculous, I have 3*500s on 3 of them). If you can't do that during combat, just switch to open chests. Anecdotally, the chests seem worse if you swap characters, but you can still get a decent upgrade per run. I'm 3000 (+/-200) on all my builders running non mix, and now mix is a breeze. Add the summoner, and it's a cakewalk.

Edit. Oh. You have a summoner. Just do 3 on non-mix. You won't regret it. Armour upgrades will be falling from the sky.

Edit 2: as for placement. 4*mage and 4*archer on each buff. Remove a few towers. Make sure every aura spot has all 3 auras. Hang on.

Edit 3: http://ddplanner.com/?l=7613,quick-and-dirty
There. That's the layout. DDplanner is giving me an error on DU count and it's late, but I might have missed something. We just ran to 29, and only had one wall knock when 4 ogres charged mid. All summoners. No DPS.

edit 4: just to let you know. About 5-10 trans per wave. 2 supreme the whole run. Some epic trans though. All armours.

edit 5: steam robots with high knockback are mighty effective at pushing back ninjas.

edit 6. Last one, I promise. I lied about my builder stats. Summoner is hybrid, with 2000. Doesn't really matter. Even with 600 tower damage, summons kick ***.

A) Get the last 6% physical on each armour piece. That will more than double the damage you can take (from a quick calc in my head :D. 35% = 75-80%)
B) EV waller. Having 3k THP is really easy to do between loldrops and pets, and so long as your other stats still break 500 it'll still be great for buff beams. It really, really helps.

Honestly, what I find helps a lot is to make your own builds. Maybe glance (re: glance) at one to get a quick rundown on where your "bases" will be—but you learn a lot about the game, about your style, and about what works and what doesn't if you go through a ton of trial and error by yourself.

I avoid Kandar's builds like the plague until I'm well-established and need help. Then I refer to other people's builds, or ask other people to see what they're doing differently than I. It may also help to run Aquanos w/ someone else building—draw from their build that way. It's never good to just run to a pre-build unless you already have a good idea of what you're doing/what you're up against.

In terms of not dying, try establishing a rotation between your bases and minimize the time spent in dangerous territory.

I think your main problem is you have very little resists. I would recommend upping all your resist to the soft cap of 23%(w/o set boost) and upgrading generic beond that.

If youd like id be happy to show you my build at some point our stats are similar and im sure you could tweak it to work for you. Very easily can get me to 30 if i want to. Join the steam community in my sig and follow the instructions to message me if you want some help.

A) Get the last 6% physical on each armour piece. That will more than double the damage you can take (from a quick calc in my head :D. 35% = 75-80%) EV waller. Having 3k THP is really easy to do between loldrops and pets, and so long as your other stats still break 500 it'll still be great for buff beams. It really, really helps.

Both really good points.

[quote]Honestly, what I find helps a lot is to make your own builds.[/quote]He's already doing that...

[quote]what should i do on this imp?[/quote]
Depends who it's going on, but lordy lord, that's a nice imp for an active monk. If you have an major deficit in health or one of your skills, then an extra 100 points to those could be nice. But personally, I'd just plough it all into the repair value.