Sign in to follow this  
DoomAngel

[Guide] Talay NM Campaign 7.36

Hi this is my first guide.
I have just cleared Talay Campaign NM (not HC since I only wanted to unlock to be able to do survivals)

Picture: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559817564380044641/9861CDD122C2C3C633BE890FC5DB86A0B848A54F/

DDPlaner

Here's the main idea

There's a North cristal, East where forge is, South and West which is at the lowest level.
I always start with the South cristal, then West, then North and finally East so I can switch character.

Wave 1: Auras & some harpoons
At each cristal, set 3 auras: ensnare, lightning & strength drain.
You should have enough time to switch to Squire and start setting up harpoons
South: 2 harpoons
West: 3 harpoons
North: 3 harpoons
East: 2 harponns
During the wave, set all remaining harpoons

Wave 2: Traps & buff beams
I only used poison traps. 1 trap for each alley where monsters can come from.
Buff beams are for harpoons. They are 4 DU buffs except the North one (i didnt setup my harpoons close enough lol)

Wave 3: Summoner minions
2 archers 1 mage for each alley is the minimum. You can do whatever you want with extras
(i only used archers & mage).
In my case they were on the poison traps since their range is a lot shorter than harpoons.
And that way they are not too close to the cristal when ogres arrive.
And of course they should be within your aura's range to take minimal damage.

Wave 4: minions if necessary then upgrade/repair

Wave 4+: i was running around with my monk + monkey pet to repair or upgrade.
In the end, my auras/buffs had 1 star or 3 stars.
Poison traps/harpoons/minions had 1 or 2 upgrades only

Not everybody will be able to do this. But at least the path South/West/North/East is the fastest path to build IMHO.
All my characters have between 2000 & 3000 tower stats, average is 2600.

Good Luck!

Well done.
I don't know if i can do this without walls.
How are you managing to keep the ogres at bay on the first wave?

i checked the map to see where they are and rushed to help my harpoons (i had my squire with a djinn pet).
2 cristals got damaged on the first wave (about 1/4 or 1/3 damaged thanks to the strength auras)

Worked like a charm. Just some first wave ogre damage and one sharken mishap, but rest was smooth. Used a genie on every wave but the last to make it smoother. Added proxies since there was extra DU to the crystal that took damage the first wave, just for added security.

Solid build. Thanks. Works like a charm. Then used it to open up SV to wave 13 before everything collapsed. At least now I can start with a full set of mana, and perhaps build some walls. ; )

Edit: guess I got lucky. My run on campaign, didn't see any crystal damage, and had active builder with a giraffe.

by the way, at this moment (version 7.36) some monsters get stuck: Djinns & Wyverns at the end of wave.
That leaves you some time to set up defenses or repair them.

I took advantage of this glitch so maybe thats why I was able to solo it.

vid so we can see how you set it up?

I did it this morning first try, my build was not organized. Just first wave run around trying to get all the chests while doing monk auras, then switch to squire and do harpoons, put th em far enough away from the crystal to prevent ogre I put them on opposite sides of the crystal as I felt safer that way. Then after that summoner minions all around the crystal and a booster beam to top it off.

Crystal got chipped like 2x from an ogre but other than than smooth.

Yeah first wave is the hardest. Once you get pass that it's easy if you have the right strategy (and right stats lol)

Also, if you skip str drain and electric at the top, you can get all the harps and auras down in the first wave, and then switch to DPS (or buffer). End of wave, the missing auras are right next to the forge, so you can add them quickly.

I have had no luck getting past the campaign of this map solo. Is it doable?

I have tried this build about a dozen times. Generally I get the 3 auras at each crystal down, then 2 harpoons at each point with the starting mana. I try to put the auras exactly as per the ddplanner, and the harpoons behind, but not right on the crystal so ogres swinging at the harpoons rarely hit the crystal. I make sure the harp orientation is right, to ensure no entrance is not covered.

It never goes according to that plan though. The auras seem to do little to stop archers getting lucky shots on crystals, or wyverns getting lucky hits. And the ogres ignore the harpoons hammering them completely, beelining straight for the crystals. I have not observed a single time they focused on a harpoon.

My stats are not low either. Aura monk has something like: 18xx/31xx/15xx/26xx, countess has 15xx/24xx/18xx/2xxx or so. Attempts at this map with this build seem to get steamrolled in less than a minute. I can clear aqua NM HC mix-mode survival right through, and I have a long play-time and a great deal of experience yet this seems obscenely difficult on the first wave.

i did it solo because i have 1000 more stats than you. That's maybe the reason why the auras are not big enough or dont do enough damage.
In your case, I think it would be best to ask help and be at least 2 people running around and killing all the small mobs

I managed to do it just now. With lesser stats on monk than gamblor, but with better on squire. Its a little tight, and involves some luck. First wave i was able to stop ogres before they killed crystal, and after that i got some EV walls up to keep ogres at bay.
It's notable though that i placed both auras and 2 harps at each location and still managed to swap to my DPS monk in time.

yes it can take some practice to be fast enough to setup all in time.
And some luck too especially on the first wave

Finally nailed it solo with a variant of this build after another dozen odd attempts.

As someone else mentioned, first round, luck is a major factor. Second round is dicey (but less so). After that its not too hard.