Quick Question to the Team about the Future

In the latest Digest I read, it sounded to me your done creating content for Dungeon Defenders after the 4th Lost Shard release. Is this true? Please tell me I just read that completely wrong.

-Leo

... Whoa. Good point, I'd like to know, too.

Beyond the peak of the volcano flies Sky City, the final map of the Shards DLC. Our team, from the level designers to the art team to the ivory tower gameplay designers, have invested many man-hours and buckets of man-sweat to ensure that their fond farewell would leave a remarkable impression.

I would say they deserve a break. And there's still content ahead of us. Jester, a community made map (not really trendy). I'm sure theyll add a part to the game about the parents.

There have been weekly map packs too.
I think they're just going to take a long break :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt they'll stop making content. Their business model revolves around making DLC, so if they stop, most of the money will dry up.

By fond farewell I'm assuming they mean for the end of the storyline the Shards maps created. It obviously won't be continuing once all 4 parts + climax are out. I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt they'd stop supporting the game, because it'd be kinda expensive to keep it running if they didn't have new things out every so often for people to invest in.

Though part of me does wonder what Trendy's next project would be if they ever reached a point where this game was "Finished" or at least completed enough where they could slow down on it and focus more resources elsewhere.

There is at least something coming after Shards 4:

Fun Fact: The 4th shard DLC and remaining story were conceived by myself and Jeremy over Korean BBQ in downtown L.A. during E3 2011.

There is at least something coming after Shards 4:

I think in that quote he was referring to the remaining story for Shards 4.

This thread reminds me of the "Myan prophecy" of the end of the world. No really, it does. You guys are so eager to see it all end (why? I don't know), yet no real evidence points to anything of the sort. The Digest indicates the end of the Shards series, nothing more.

I think trendy will pop out a few more minor DLC's i.e. Jester then begin to work on Dungeon Defenders 2

I think I could only get behind an Dungeon Defenders 2 if it were a massive overhaul. Trendy hosted servers with more control over hacking (Preemptive control, not reactive control), GUI redesign with vastly improved options, and most importantly... something other than the UE3 engine.

However I don't see that happening, and if it doesn't there simply isn't a need for DunDef 2 when you can simply continue making DLC's for DunDef 1 and get the same money out of it really.

I don't really have the numbers (only Trendy does), but if you think about it... The DLC's come out two to three times a month at an average of $2.5 The game only costs $15 and it probably took them at least 6 months to a year to develop. So why create a second game, from a business perspective you get more money from the DLC's as long as people still buy them.

If Trendy do something like a "Dungeon Defenders 2", I'd rather expect it to be something like a huge content addition to DD1 than a new game. Which they're already slowly doing with Shards and the new characters...

Since the release of shards and as of Talay, we'll have:

6 new maps (with 3 boss fights)
9 new challenges, plus another 7 from the challenge packs
6 new pets
around 24 new weapons
and 3 new classes, 7 new costumes (2 Bounty Hunters...)

All released since the start of shards. That's nearing the amount of content in the core game. Eventually we'll have at least 1, possibly 2 more core shard maps (speculation for the second, but we'll see) each with a challenge and possibly a monsterfest, a new class (Jester) which will almost certainly have a new map for her alt-gender costume to unlock on, which will also have a challenge. With that much content, if you ignore that the core game has quite a few maps nobody cares about, we'll already have "Dungeon Defenders 2".

And then Trendy will begin work on the next DLC season. Personally I'm hoping we can just buy a season pass to get all new maps and classes automatically in that season instead of just the maps in QftLES, but Trendy might need to decide whether it's worth it to do another season first.

If Trendy ever decide to release a "Dungeon Defenders 2" officially, I still hold it'll be a content update to regular ol' DD; we don't want to lose all our old classes and we don't want a new game which includes them as something we have to pay for over. But a major gameplay overhaul for the core game could be "DD2".

Or, like great companies do these days, transfer the save over to the sequel. Or at least a lot of the other stuff.
Recall the Rathet and Clank series... at least the PS2 trilogy. You beat R&C1, you get some of the R&C1 weapons for free on R&C2. On R&C3, if you had some of the R&C2 weapons, you get those in the third for free, likewise having a R&C1 save granted you the classic Ratchet skin.

We're planning on creating new DD1 content after the 4th Shards release. How long after the 4th Shards release remains to be determined; it depends on how the community's support over time to determine how many resources we can allocate, but yes we do have fun plans that go beyond Shards 4 (which, by the way, is going to be epic :) ).

Keep on Defending,
Jer

^ that is exciting news to hear. (:

Oh "DD1"? Does that mean there could be a DD2 afterall.....

As long as they don't go the activision route and just change the name in the title screen to "dungeon Defenders *2* (or 3 or 4 or 10 or Dungeon Defenders: Black Ops 14) and resell the same game for full price.

Thats excellent to hear, Ill be ready to support yall when you release DLC. Currently I have 4 copies of DD on Steam one for me, my wife, and 2 kids and I buy most DLC for all four accounts! Im insane!!!

Possibly, never really know what Trendy has planned.

If Trendy ever decide to release a "Dungeon Defenders 2" officially, I still hold it'll be a content update to regular ol' DD; we don't want to lose all our old classes and we don't want a new game which includes them as something we have to pay for over. But a major gameplay overhaul for the core game could be "DD2".

I, too, hope that DD2, 3, 4...etc. will be DLC-like additions to the original DD instead of a whole brand new game.

Thats excellent to hear, Ill be ready to support yall when you release DLC. Currently I have 4 copies of DD on Steam one for me, my wife, and 2 kids and I buy most DLC for all four accounts! Im insane!!!

Good to hear I'm not the only one who is slightly insane. I have bought multiple Terraria copies (for my sister, myself, myself, for a friend and for me)

DD2 already? It's too early, DD1 won't die for a very long time. :(

DD2 already? It's to early, DD1 won't die for a very long time. :(

This is what I'm thinking. DunDef has only been out for 9 months (on PC).

I hope they use Trinigy's Vision Engine. It allows for a massive amount of mobs on the screen with no lag. Currently On AQ, CitC, misty, or any maps with tons of mobs - I lag horridly. My computer can run deus ex human revolution on full with no lag. Little bit of a problem, hah.

It might be the graphic engine used, or it might not, I am not sure. I would place my bets on it, though.