Anyone want an 8-player RTS competitive map? Build your team's bases, harvest resources (with a special resource-gathering unit) across the map, create your army units, and direct them to destroy the enemy base?

Non-Summoner Heroes allowed but weakened, and the Minions and Towers are heavily beefy so the map is skewed towards using them to break the enemy team's Defenses. Anyway, we've been thinking about doing it a little later :)

Lookin' forward to getting my Summoner on,
Jeremy

That sounds very interesting. The controls would need to be tight, but if you could pull it off it would be a great change of pace over PVM.

Seems like an interesting idea but whenever you release competitive maps people don't really play them much for some reason. maybe include specific cool looking / decent look like weapons or accessories with unique looks to it so that more people play it?

If you do it, consider:

A variant where one team is all summoners, and the other all builders
A variant with forced stat balance

Enabling it on multiple maps.
Rewards. DD's core incentive is reward loot.

It could be good, if it's done well. I like the idea, and it came up in a discussion I had on campus today - a friend and I were considering buying Defenders of Ardania on steam, which has a multiplayer tower defense mode where one player attacks with creeps and the other builds. However, low metacritic rating on it kinda pushed us away. Might be good for design ideas if you haven't checked it out already Jer?

I'm thinking the other players would have a more strategic role, ferry resources, take out towers (dota), gang up on ogres, etc.

Certainly sounds like it could be fun, though.

I did wonder why you didn't have a mode where there are two teams. Each team has a crystal(s) to defend, and whoever survives the longest wins. (If this mode does exist, then forgive me for not finding it.)

Can't even do that when Valve is takin their sweet time to release the Summoner...

I think Jer is having fun poking at us with a stick while we all sit and wait anxiously.

Non-Summoner Heroes allowed but weakened, and the Minions and Towers are heavily beefy so the map is skewed towards using them to break the enemy team's Defenses. Anyway, we've been thinking about doing it a little later :)

I wouldn't think Non-Summoners would need to be weakened. After all, you're likely going to need other people to help take down the "heavily beefy" minions. It'd make the "follow this person" command a lot more useful, which would allow other heroes to direct attacks, giving the Summoners less to micromanage.

Or, Non-Summoners could be given other tasks, like maybe being the ones that have to gather the resources, but the resources are back behind neutral NPCs that players have to fight through (not to mention against each other to claim them). They could also be the ones building the bases and defending them with their own towers (perhaps with a limited number of summons per hero). Just having Huntresses and Rangers laying traps for the other team would require the other Summoner to be more careful and strategic.

The idea sounds really cool, but it shouldn't be straight-up RTS. It should be an RTS-Tower Defense hybrid. I could see a lot of really interesting stuff done with it, which make the prospects exciting.

Shut up.

And take.

My money.

Seriously. As a guy who grew up on command and conquer, I would throw money blindly at you if you made this, Trendy.

what i want, is some variant of a line tower wars map

thing the competitve kathraki, but instead of the npcs spawning, you have an income of a certain amount, which is used to spend on towers/upgrades etc.. or summoning minons to attack the enemies lane..

the overall goal is to destroy their crystal before they get yours, but you must balance your attack and defense to do it.

Anyone want an 8-player RTS competitive map? Build your team's bases, harvest resources (with a special resource-gathering unit) across the map, create your army units, and direct them to destroy the enemy base?

Jeremy

Does anyone else remember Command and Conquer Renegade? Such an epic game. The only issue i see in this game is the same problem there always is in PVP, differences in gear. However if you could somehow replicate the game play of renegade id love you forever.

Does anyone else remember Command and Conquer Renegade? Such an epic game. The only issue i see in this game is the same problem there always is in PVP, differences in gear. However if you could somehow replicate the game play of renegade id love you forever.

I put hundreds of hours into Command and Conquer: Renegade. One of my favorite games of all time.

I need this hypothetical mode yesterday.

I think that would be a GREAT IDEA!!!:) you would have to farm mana and other stuff it would be fun!:) you guys could probably make a whole new mini game about the summoner where you can play as the summoner RTS style (as the person who came up with this idea if you make it it also must be put on the consoles)
and hit command and conquer generals zero hour is the best!!!:)
and generals 2 is coming out in a year or two!:)

Yes, I wrote about this earlier (Although you saying RTS means it would all be top view?)

I'm interested

I put hundreds of hours into Command and Conquer: Renegade. One of my favorite games of all time.

I need this hypothetical mode yesterday.

Me love you long time if this gets made

This sounds wonderful but make sure you up the scrolling rate or have a slider for it when in overlord mode. It'd be faster to exit, run over, and enter it again and work on another crystal's defenses on bigger maps like city in the cliffs or moraggo. Karathiki ... yeah I don't want to think about karathiki.

Jeremy

The problem is the name this game has made for itself. You have great ideas, unfortunately, people who are buying this game aren't buying it for what you're thinking of. You're catering to the wrong crowd.

It sounds like a kind of DOTA style game, and again, I don't think the time/cost it would take to create the map would even out. I just don't see many people in this game playing it.

You either make a completely new game under this focus to establish its own corner of the market, or I wouldn't suggest doing it unless you've got the free time. And even if you did it, Nuclear Dawn, which sounds very similar in mechanics, Savage 2, and other games never really took off.

It sounds like you want a Command and Conquer/Dota hybrid, but like I said, something that complex requires:

A. A development completely dedicated to the idea
B. A game advertised for that specific purpose
C. Something so fun and addicting you'll drag people from Starcraft, Warcraft, Command and Conquer, Dota, etc into it. The market for games like these are crowded.

The last competitive mode you tried didn't do very well because it wasn't advertised well, it wasn't even given its own category online.

If you really want this to work you need to make it so when people go online they choose from regular Dungeon Defenders, and this new mode. It can't be a challenge. It has to be advertised as something NEW, and different from the main game.

Make the choice from, "Cooperative Dungeon Defenders (original game), and Competitive Dungeon Defenders (base vs. base), make people see that choice early on, and THEN it might work.

Even if 20 people on this forum think it's a great idea, you have to remember 20 people isn't enough to popularize a new game mode, or make it a profit.

You have to think of the larger picture and understand marketing this is the only way to do it, or else, just make a new game.

IF YOU HIDE THIS GAME MODE under CHALLENGES, or something, if you don't make it right at the start, right there for you to try, then it probably won't ever take off.