I decided to compile a list of questions asked during the Trendy Summoner Preview event for those that missed it.

If you wish to rewatch the Summoner Preview, you can here.

(I'll update as I can.)

SUMMONER:
Q: When does the Summoner come out?
A: 5/23, but the exact time is unknown. Trendy is at the mercy of when Valve releases the patch. Previous patches have taken as much as 6 hours to go live. Trendy's best estimate is sometime in the afternoon.

Q: How much will the Summoner cost?
A: $3.99, like Series EV

Q: Can the Summoner attack?
A: The Summoner cannot equip weapons, and therefore cannot attack. However, the Summoner can equip two pets to do damage.

Q: Isn't using two pets overpowered?
A: Trendy has said that when you equip two damage pets, the damage on them will scale downward (around 75% or so).

Q: Does a genie pet work with the Summoner?
A: Yes. The genie will grant mana based on the attack of your other pet.

Q: Does the Summoner float?
A: Yes, the Summoner has the ability to float for about 10 seconds. (This probably does not work in PvP.)

Q: What are the Summoner's stats like?
A: The Summoner has one of the fastest runspeeds on the game, but his hp scaling is the worst. He's sort of a glass cannon.

Q: Since the Summoner has no weapons, what does the Hero Damage ability do for him?
A: Hero Damage will still affect the damage his pets do.

MINIONS:
Q: What minions can the Summoner summon?
A: In order of when you unlock them: Archer, Spider, Orc, Mage, Dark Elf Warrior, Ogre.

Q: The Summoner can summon 6 different types of minions?
A: Yep!

Q: What's the Archer like?
A: :archer: "Archer is a ranged attacker. He's the workhorse." "You'll find yourself relying on him as your go-to power."

Q: What's the Spider like?
A: :spider: "Spider minions are awesome!" "The spider does two things: It will initiate by webbing, which does exactly what you'd expect a web to do, and after that, it will do basic attacks which are melee." "He also moves extremely fast."

Q: What's the Orc like?
A: :orc: "He's your bruiser. He attacks in a wide cleave that can hit multiple enemies. He has a very, very nice, fatty amount of hp."

Q: What's the Mage like?
A: :mage: "The Mage does the highest dps of all of them." "The Mage kind of just shovels fireballs out of the ground at people, does fire damage. The thing that's cool about the Mage is if you have a damaged tower near you, [he'll repair it]." "It is an AoE heal."

Q: What's the Warrior like?
A: :warrior: He attacks and can jump over towers and enemies. (Not as much was said about him, because IceArrow got distracted professing his love for the Initiate. :D )

Q: What's the Ogre like?
A: :ogre: "The Ogre has three attacks: the poison ball attack, the regular slice attack, and the overhead."

Q: How much does each minion cost to summon?
A:

• Archer - 40
  • Spider - 80
  • Orc - 140
  • Mage - 180
  • Warrior - 300
  • Ogre - 600

Q: Does Tower Boost, etc. affect minions?
A: Anything that can buff towers affects minions.

Q: Does this include Series EV's Buff Beam?
A: Yes. [Hitmonchan Edit: The Buff Beam will not go down if a minion moves out of the Buff Beam.]

Q: Do minions disappear when the Summoner switches characters or leaves the map:
A: No. Just like towers, the minions will remain. However, without a Summoner around, they won't be able to be controlled.

Q: Can minions be upgaded?
A: Yes, just like towers, minions can be upgraded all the way up to 3 stars.

Q: Can my Summoner control another Summoner's minions?
A: Yes.

Q: Do minions take up DU?
A: No, Summoner's have their own pool for pets ("minion units"). However, each Summoner on the map shares this pool. That is, if you have 100 points to use on pets and you use 75 points for your minions, the other Summoner only has 25 points remaining.

Q: How many minion units does each minion take up?
A:

• Archer - 4
  • Spider - 5
  • Orc - 6*
  • Mage - 7
  • Warrior - 8
  • Ogre - 13

*(Hitmonchan had the UI off when this was summoned, so this is a guess based on the other costs.)

Q: How many points are there to summon pets?
A: Just like DU, it is variable based on what map you are playing on. The number of minion units and defense units will be the same. So, on Shipwreck Monster Fest, you'll have 140 DU and 140 MU.

ABILITIES:
Q: What are the Summoner's abilities?
A: As covered in the 5/9 Dev Digest:

[quote]The first of his abilities is Flash Heal. When activated, the Summoner can send a wave of healing ethereal energy to his trusty minions and to nearby defenses. When in Overlord mode, this power only affects his minions.[/quote]

[quote]The second ability is Phase Shift, which transports him to the Crystalline Dimension and renders him immaterial in the physical world. Hell be able to move through objects on the battlefield, enemies will not target him nor be able to damage him, and the power does not consume mana. While he can issue orders and use tower-related abilities, his pets can't attack or collect mana when in this mode. This will be the go-to ability when using Overlord mode.[/quote]

Q: How does Overlord mode work?
A: Overlord is very similar to how you'd play an RTS game. The Summoner gets a top-down look at the playing field and can control his pets. Or, from the digest:

[quote]The Summoners RTS mechanics represent our biggest gameplay evolution to date. Entering Overlord mode, players will gaze down upon the field of battle and move minions like chess pieces. Each minion has a wide variety of stances to defend positions and seek out threats.[/quote]

Q: Can Summoner summon more minions while in Overlord mode?
A: Yes.

Q: Can the Summoner control multiple minions at the same time?
A: Yes. Like RTS games, the Summoner can click and drag to form a square around the minions he wishes to move.

Q: How do you move around in Overlord mode?
A: You can use WASD, or you can move the cursor to the edge of the screen to move.

Q: How does the Overlord mode with a controller?
A: Currently, it does not.

Q: Can the Summoner go into Overlord mode if he's webbed?
A: It was hinted that only things with feet can get webbed...

ITEMS:
Q: What drops when soloing with the Summoner?
A: Since the Summoner does not use weapons, only armor will drop while playing him.

Q: What about rewards?
A: For rewards that are hero specific (eg beating Summit), the Summoner will obtain Monk rewards. This is because the other drops have already been duplicated across the other DLC heroes already (ie Barbarian gets Squire stuff, Series EV gets Huntress/Apprentice stuff).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot to mention Overlord mode doesn't work for controller users. Support my thread and hope they implement it in the game! Check my signature for link to thread.

You forgot to mention Overlord mode doesn't work for controller users. Support my thread and hope they implement it in the game! Check my signature for link to thread.

No, I didn't. ;)

I have a question. If the summons don't use DU, how are they balanced? Are they really weak? Do they make the game easy when combined with towers? Does the difficulty scale up if you use it forcing you to summon twice as much stuff??

I really am not seeing how the summons can fit into the current model without breaking the difficulty or being largely useless given you can still build all the towers you could before.

I have a question. If the summons don't use DU, how are they balanced? Are they really weak? Do they make the game easy when combined with towers? Does the difficulty scale up if you use it forcing you to summon twice as much stuff??

I really am not seeing how the summons can fit into the current model without breaking the difficulty or being largely useless given you can still build all the towers you could before.

They didn't mention anything about scaling of difficulty during the stream. And I agree, in the end it should make the game even easier with tower DU and MU now.

A: Trendy has said that when you equip two damage pets, the damage on them will scale downward (around 75% or so).

Haha. Oh wow. More throwing of arbitrary numbers I see. Take all of 10secs before they need to release a patch to fix that too. Well w/e, as long as he is fun to play or at least bring something to the table. EV lasted all of 10 days before she got relegated to nothing more than a glorified monk, instead of trying to sure her up they decide to release another character DLC >_> How long will this guy last before the Jester takes his place?

Honestly I dont think nerfing pet damage is gonna do much to curb him. Dudes basically adding extra DU to every map. If you got a stable build, bringing a Summoner in is just gonna buff up your layout that much more. Unless he or his summons are so weak that they cant make a noticeable difference to the game. But I'll reserve judgement for after I've tried him out a bit.

I wouldn't be caring about 2 pets anyways with his minions being his main focus. And to use phase shift to protect yourself while controlling them make pets useless. So they only really good for gaining mana fast and stats.

Ya but now I see an Edit done at the bottom, nice try =P

It was there before. I've been editing and adding other things as I think of them.

I just hope all the people that didn't want summons using DU because the summoner wouldn't be welcome in games are happy if/when it is balanced so the summons are of minimal value or the builds take twice the setup and a lot more management if a summoner joins.

I was really looking forward to summon based builds potentially removing the squire from my builder list as well.

Edited the FAQ: The Buff Beam will not go down if the minion exits the Buff Beam.

Tossing in a mage at every choke point will make for some very long-lasting builds. Not only will they be doing damage with fireballs, but also healing your walls, and they're not limited to which direction they're facing, making summons the default go-to for anti-spider efforts. this means more DU can be allocated to offenses, while the summoner takes care of keeping your defenses up, and able to help with crowd control.

Are the spiders able to web ogres and mini-ogres? If so, then that'll get around the issues caused by them not caring about gas traps and being less effected by slow auras. May even mean we don't need slows and gases, except for managing sharken and djinn.

I wasn't here to watch the stream, sadly.. But did the question get asked if they can upgrade/repair other towers? Like say a buddy's Magic Missiles? And I assume they can also do more than one upgrade/repair at a time?

Some guy wants to play Starcraft in his DunDef and we're all paying for it.

It's more like DoTA, than SC.

I completely agree. Hopefully there will be some magic balancing to make it make sense, but I really don't know what could be done.

If the difficulty scales up because a summoner is present, then why bother? If the rewards scale up as well, then wouldn't we just be paying for better loot?

If the difficulty doesn't scale up, then isn't it just Pay To Win?

Some guy wants to play Starcraft in his DunDef and we're all paying for it.

If you're talking monetary cost, then only the people that want the Summoner will be "paying for it", no?

I wasn't here to watch the stream, sadly.. But did the question get asked if they can upgrade/repair other towers? Like say a buddy's Magic Missiles? And I assume they can also do more than one upgrade/repair at a time?

Yes, you can upgrade and repair other towers, even when in Overlord mode.

Yes, you can upgrade and repair other towers, even when in Overlord mode.

Cool, but can you do more than one at a time?

@Draken

Yes and no, The Summit will only grant you a Monk guardian, but the only drops if a Summoner is alone will be armor. Hit and the Devs mentioned it in the stream.

Rather than simply complaining about the likely screwed up balance of the summons I feel like suggesting a solution if they do prove too powerful or too weak. Rather than straight nerfing them or trying to screw around with switching them over to DU and rebalancing or even adding difficulty increases when summons are thrown into the mix. I suggest trying some sort of inverse summon stat scaling with the combined MU and DU once they exceed a certain combined total so that if people want to use summons on a full DU tower build they are weakened to be more of a build supporting tool but if the summoner just wants t throw down a few walls and auras to support the summons they will be much more powerful. That should keep everyone happy.

Q: Since the Summoner has no weapons, what does the Hero Damage ability do for him?
A: Hero Damage will still affect the damage his pets do.

Being honest, I think without any weapons, two pets are alright. A 75% nerf for pets is terrible! I know he's not meant for combat, but he would need more damage in my opinion.

EDIT: I thought you would only do 25% of damage with pets, not 75%. Shows how terrible I am!

Honestly, on nightmare I hardly even attack with how much my djinnlet outdamages me. I think the nerf when using double damaging pets is understandable. And really, you don't need 2 damage pets- Some versatility isn't a bad thing. And if you really want to pump out damage, 150% of the damage other people can do with pets is still probably gonna be competitive with actual melee damage. Remember, in nightmare pets get a damage boost, where most player attacks get nerfed a ton.

An edit for an edit: An understandable mistake really, given the way that it was phrased in the faq.

This guy looks like a ton of fun! :D

I'm interested to see how this will evolve into new survival builds. Actively playing a monk will still probably be the best, but having a summoner summon summons, dem dat language, will help. Would tower boost boost the summons?

I can already see this "armor drops only" becoming a huge issue, imagine people hosting Aquanos nm hc survival runs and only accepting summoners to join just because he wants armor pieces.