Sign in to follow this  
SirSmash

Aquanos Solo Clear [No walls build]

Here's the build I've been using lately. It does look a little bit hacky, but it works solo and that's what this is all about. I, like many people I assume, was having trouble clearing Aquanos. I could get into the late 20's consistently but never quite put a stake through its heart and beat 30. I had been trying a bunch of different builds (many of Kandar's iterations, my own builds, other ppl's that I played with, etc) and none of them were working for me solo.

A few days ago I was getting really annoyed with Sharks pushing my walls in the late 20's and decided to just delete them and throw down a few extra guns mostly for ****s and giggles. I was mostly just hoping to eek out an extra wave or two worth of loot, but low and behold it performed pretty well so I figured I'd refine it a little and post it.

Oddly enough Sharken didn't charge anything. I'm not positive but I think because the towers are further back than where my walls used to be the Sharks just never get into charge range before they've been shredded. The extra towers also ensure they die more quickly vs. a walled build.

http://ddplanner.com/?l=6911,sirsmash-aquanos-solo

Notes:

-Everything but Gas traps are buffed (hard to tell sometimes when DDPlanner re-sizes the buff beams when I save).

-Put the front harpoon for each lane far enough away from the other towers that it's the only thing getting smacked by Ogres. It looks counter-intuitive to let your harpoons tank ogres, but inside a Strength Drain they're taking almost no damage.

-At the middle crystal make sure the fireball won't draw ogres from the south (aim it straight forward, not angled like the front harpoon). This is because the fireball is too close to the crystal, if it starts shooting an ogre first the ogre will aggro to it and start bashing it (and hit the crystal in the process). The front harp sometimes just won't be able to hit an Ogre coming from south before the fireball has already drawn aggro. This also had the benefit of reducing the number of ogres that head to the middle from one of the South spawns. They tended to just head for south which is ideal since South brings more guns to bear anyway.

-Priority #1 is melting ogres. Priority #2 is large clusters of Sharks/Genies in the gas traps. I basically spend all my time with the map open running to whichever lane an ogre spawns in, and if I notice any clusters of 4+ Sharks/Genies I blast 'em. If you're playing as a Monk you should constantly have one of your boosts active. Keep switching which boost is active every 20s like clockwork.

-You really need a decent mage for this build to work. Going pure harpoons only causes problems with Ogre aggro. What will happen is sometimes one of the further back harpoons will outdamage the front harpoon, causing the Ogre to aggro onto it and walk to the back and start bashing (and they usually hit the crystal while doing this). With fireballs this isn't an issue because their single target DPS is roughly 2/3rds that of a harpoon with the same stats, so they basically never pull aggro off the harpoons.

DPS Monk: 2k hp/ 2.5k dmg, 1.5k boosts

Builders:
Countess: 1.5k/ 3k/ 1.5k/ 1.5k
Monk: 1.5k/ 2.5k/ 1.5k/ 0.5k
Apprentice: 1k/ 2k/ 1k/ 1k
Huntress: 1.5k/ 2k/ 1k/ 1k

No, only NMHC. I'm not sure on how the wyverns path in Mixed, but as long as they don't head from the Northwest spawn to the North crystal (where there's only 1 harpoon covering that lane) it should be decent enough as long as you don't get unlucky with multiple goldfish heading to the same crystal simultaneously.

I tweaked the build a little bit last night. Swapped the Spider/AA Harpoon in South for a Magic Missile, didn't have any problems. Ended up putting a wall on the weak north side because the odd golden+poison immune kobold would get too close to the crystal before the towers killed it (didn't take full hits, but the little scratches can add up eventually). In mid I dropped the fireball for a second harpoon, and shifted both harpoons over to the left. Any ogres that do get pulled from the middle spawn now won't have any chance of swatting the crystal since the harpoons act as a wall at the expense of needing more repairs.

Tested it with a wave 24 start last night (which I usually find pretty tough solo, fails are common). Beat wave 30 without taking any crystal damage so this is a pretty viable solo farming build. It's pretty smooth as long as you stay on top of ogres, I can't stress enough how you need to be constantly checking the map and getting every ogre killed before the next one spawns. Using the harpoons as tanks works fine when you're assisting them since the ogre spends it's few seconds of life in front of the harpoons doing the butthurt animation. Don't expect to be able to leave an ogre alone and let the build handle it, because your harpoon will die and start the chain reaction of failure.

Could someone plese explain to me the omnipresence of electric auras in recent builds? Last time I checked (more than a month ago), they were useless crap on NM.

read patch notes, Monks have been buffed

* Buffed Monk Electric Aura by 50% in Nightmare

^What he said + Strength drain auras now remove elemental affinity. So dropping a Snare + Strength Drain + Lighting aura nukes all the trash mobs that enter it, and they do a great job as wyvern defense because of 360 coverage and all wyverns being slowed. No more poison immune wyverns ruining your fun!