[Discuss] Countess, the other white Monk

For those of us that prefer to keep on an active builder to gain the 30% damage boost on their relative towers, without splitscreening, I wanted to discuss one of the often-overlooked options.

In today's end-game survival builds, players HAVE to actively maintain the build mid-wave. Very few maps/builds are considered AFKable since sharks have come on the scene. If turrets are trained on an Ogre for too long now... a shark is bound to push that wall soon after. It's possible that community builder Kandar summed it up best when he said "Towers dont kill Ogres anymore. You do."

Many rant and rave about the monk as the optimum active builder due to their tower and player boost abilities. However, I have found that the better option for my playstyle is definately a worthy competitor to the Monk's utility, if not better due to surviveability.

The Countess builder has many comparable, and some down right better perks than the monk. Yes, she comes with a special ability called Call to Arms (CTA) that boosts the potency of her and her allies. This includes pets. But in addition to that, she has a higher health pool than the monk, AND has the overpowered ability to negate all damage in a wide frontal cone via the Squire/Countess block ability.... and at NO MANA COST. This is absolutely invaluable for maps that require you to move around and take out ogres, especially while 12 ninjas have your scent in the area.

So how do you optimize the Countess builder?
You find a great damage dealing Pet with decent tower stats. For instance, a Seahorse with 220 upgrades and at least 3 tower stats at 200+ isn't hard to find nowadays. Heck, you can get them from farming INSANE aquanos over and over. You invest all 220 upgrades into the pet's damage stat. This is why you want it to already have decent tower stats... since you wont be applying upgrades to those.

The second way to optimize the Countess builder is to get a tower weapon that has decent Block percentage. You can still put all of the upgrades into the tower stats. But you want to look for the weapon with OVER 100% damage reduction. Mine personally has 130% block. So I take absolutely no damage from frontal attacks while it is activated. And again, this ability has NO MANA cost... unbelievable. The male counterpart, Squires, have the block ability... but are missing the critical ally/pet boost, Call to Arms.

During game play, when you spot an ogre, you run to their location and intersect the ogre before it reaches your wall. You try to find a piece of the map to back up against, and immediately hold down the right mouse key to start blocking. Your pet will go to town on the Ogre, hitting for about 200k x 5 projectiles (1million DPS)... it wont take long before the Ogre forgets all about that wall, and comes for you due to pet aggro. Thankfully, with your block activated, the ogre can swing and pound on you all day, and you shrug off the attacks. And if you want to drop the ogre faster... you hit Call to Arms, which increases your pets potency along with your own. At this point, your pet's damage skyrockets. Mine personally does over 2million DPS with active Call to Arms (and I only have 880 in my CTA ability stat). That Ogre will be on the ground in under 6-10seconds, especially if towers are still hitting it.

If the Ogre is poison based, which a few will be. You skip the ogre, and head behind him to the nearest gas trap holding back the incoming mobs. Again, start blocking, and stand your ground in front of the group, your pet will clear out that whole clump in a matter of seconds, including any sharks. Meanwhile, the ogre is getting beat down by your towers. Once the Ogre has dropped, move to the next.

Moving your back to a wall is important when the map is Ninja-heavy. They will come from all angles, and as long as your back is to the wall, they can pounce on you forever, but not cause you any harm because of your block ability. Your pet or towers will take them out... you dont need to do any weapon swinging of your own. The Monk doesn't have the ability to tank ninjas indefinately like this. Which is the huge advantage of the Countess.

Keep this style of game play in mind when assembling your tower gear, as you would prefer for any piece of gear to NOT have a big negative stat for your CTA ability. Besides for looking for a tower weapon with decent block, and a damage dealing pet with decent tower stats... you are set.

Give it a shot. The Block ability means that their surviveability far outweighs the Monk when played right... killing everything in sight, while tanking 2-3 Ogres and incoming Djinn-boosted-golden Ninjas at the same time... with no worries. I'll definatley take that over tower boosting any day.

squire blood rage can boost pets, but they arent as fast.
just pointing this out because you said "but are missing the critical ally/pet boost"

I see what your saying.

For example, on aqua nmhc mixed, using a very aura heavy build. the auras kill/Weaken the mobs(to include sharks)
The Towers i find, with the build i use only actually kill ogres.

Granted at 25+ on aqua the ogres hit 40mill HP my 2K Tower/hero boots boost the tower aqequately, aswell as the auras surrounding.

CTA is effective, but with an active builder, you want high stats on the towers, this cant really be wasted on CTA.

Also, If you were to have an active monk(ideally a hybrid 1) you gain that 30% damage that you would lost from having him innactive. And the damage to the sharks through auras i find more usefull.

Finally, monk can hero boost/tower boost, seperately, or together, but with a djin or geenie active, you can easiely maintain 1 or the other. at all times. So at all times, you are either massivly boosting towers/auras/traps and/or boosting your meele/ranged DPS AND that of your pet. And ofc others around you.

Thats just my oppinion atm anyway :)

If you're having trouble surviving, then absolutely, a countess is the way to go. CtA doesn't scale quite as well as hero boost, but it's nice, and AoE, and comes with damage reduction for the countess herself. And block, of course. In addition, monks have better pet scaling damage.

But, once you have high enough hero health, learn how to dodge most attacks (through lots of trial and error, and still a lot of luck), a monk can drop a 45m HP ogre near a wall in a couple of seconds. One (or two) monks patrolling, alternating hero boost, to deal with ogres, is remarkably effective. If you can arrange the fight in a str drain, so much the better.

Squire has more HP, faster casting speed, blood rage boosts pet damage and super run speed... Only advantage to countress over squire is run speed when not blood rage.

At the same time, using both monk tower and hero boost when an oger comes to your wall is just insane! it will melt the oger in seconds. The only downside to an active monk builder is the fact that they cannot build any form of a wall!

If it weren't for the fact that active builders may be needed to rebuild stuff, the reason people won't use active builders is when you get high enough stats, the 30% bonus is not worth giving up the insane DPS you can get from a DPS hero. Once you get high stats, you can spend all points on tower stats (not resistances) giving you 100-200 more points and the towers still do enough damage to kill stuff. My DPS hero can do +10 mil peak damage to a tavern dummy and +10 mil with my pet... In NM, my pet gets ~ 40% damage boost and has 380k HP (hard to get builder armour that always has good HP).

I've found the big downside with Countess/Squire, and even barbarian (if you choose high health & dps instead) is that if you *do* take damage it takes so long to self heal that the advantage can be negated as you are out of the action for a longish period while your defences have to cope.

A healing aura would be the answer to that, but so many of the high-end maps need every DU for defence, so it's hard to identify where to find the spare needed for it.

I didn't think block blocked *everything* - I thought there was a cap, but obviously I was wrong, however, you can still be taking elemental damage from Djinns, Ogres and Spiders can't you? And then there's always the dreaded web to screw things up...

Once you get high stats, you can spend all points on tower stats (not resistances) giving you 100-200 more points

I have never seen a piece of gear with -25 or more in every resistance... that would free up 200 points. SS or it didnt happen.

Most of you shrug off one of the most important facets of this suggestion, and therefore still think monk... the surviveability. Maybe you are all some super-duper amazing players... but nearly every game I play with a group, someone gets trounced by a ninja. "Dodge an attack"? When there are 3 ninjas in that area, you arent doing much dodging... you cross your fingers that one of them isnt Golden buffed, and that you have the mana to heal after you get rofl-stomped. But meh, to each their own. On Countess you dont take a single drop of damage.

And a "Aura heavy" build? Keeping the monk active, only helps Electric Aura, and most builds have twice the number of poons as electric auras.

I don't use active builders anymore. If you set up your defense well, walls hardly ever get pushed and Djinns rarely de-summon your traps and auras . Extra harp damage is not worth losing massive hero and pet dps for me. Finished Aquanos NMHC surv without using any active builders and my dps monk only had 114K HP in NM at the time. DEW's were never a big issue. The build I used only had 2 harps but 6 electric auras.

I didn't think block blocked *everything* - I thought there was a cap, but obviously I was wrong, however, you can still be taking elemental damage from Djinns, Ogres and Spiders can't you? And then there's always the dreaded web to screw things up...
Block of 100% or higher on a weapon will reduce ALL damage to zero that hits you in the "block zone."

I have never seen a piece of gear with -25 or more in every resistance... that would free up 200 points. SS or it didnt happen.
I'm talking the whole set, not just 1 piece of armour... i.e., if your armour has -17% it takes 17^ to get to 1%, then an additional 17^ (I believe) to get to 30% (with bonus) = 34^ just to get a single resistance that was at -17%. Then you can also spend another +15^ on resistances above 30% every 10^. Can easily add up to 200 if all of your armour has two negative resistances stats of -8% and the other two start at 30%. Realistically if you say two around 15% one at 1% and one at -2% that'd be at least 50^ for one piece.

Active tower countess isn't as good as DPS monk.

Monks have the best pet damage scaling plus boosts. My seahorse does 6 x 800k when boosted, I don't see a countess that has to have good tower stats (2k+) plus good resists doing anywhere near that damage. Similar situation for active aura monk. I don't see an active monk having equivalent tower stats to my logged out aura monk (3k dmg), while maintaining high resists, hp, atk and boost skills.

Plus I don't really care if my harps hit for 100k or 130k, I have to get the ogres myself anyways.

At this time nothing is as good as DPS monk with logged out builders.

That is completely unrelated to this topic.

That is completely unrelated to this topic.

Really? So this thread isn't about how you think the active builder countess is better than the DPS monk? Could've fooled me. "Opposing viewpoint" is not the same as "off-topic".

You present an interesting argument, but so does markusoro.

Block above 100% does block 100% of the damage. Including Elemental. If you back up to a wall, you can sit there and tank an entire chokepoint yourself, with no damage taken. In fact, i will probably try this tonite and upload a video.

Really? So this thread isn't about how you think the active builder countess is better than the DPS monk? Could've fooled me.

ROFL... no it absolutely is not. I guess I DID fool you. It is about Active Monk builder vs. Active Countess Builder.

The very first sentance referencing a monk reads: "Many rant and rave about the monk as the optimum active builder due to their tower and player boost abilities. "

No where in my post did I compare an Active Builder to a DPS character of any sort. That would be just silly.

ROFL... no it absolutely is not. I guess I DID fool you. It is about Active Monk builder vs. Active Countess Builder.

The very first sentance referencing a monk reads: "Many rant and rave about the monk as the optimum active builder due to their tower and player boost abilities. "

No where in my post did I compare an Active Builder to a DPS character of any sort. That would be just silly.

Huh... on re-reading I see what you mean. You didn't compare your strategy to a DPS monk, you just weren't talking about them at all.

Still the point stands that just because you dismiss them completely doesn't make them off topic. A salient point was made and, rather than ignore it or rebut it, you (rudely, IMO) chastise the poster.

Still the point stands that just because you dismiss them completely doesn't make them off topic. A
salient point was made and, rather than ignore it or rebut it, you (rudely, IMO) chastise the poster.

This is a thread about Active Builder options. I simply stated that his comment about DPS players had nothing to do with this post. Then you start with coy comments about being fooled. Dont project your rudeness onto me. You get what you give. Don't go into a thread about Birds... and get offended when the OP states that your comment about Monkies is unrelated to the topic.

In any case, I didnt and dont dispute the monk's usefullness, especially a DPS monk. As stated in the OP, this is simply presenting another decent option for an active builder, with some perks that are comparable, some perks that are missing, and some perks that are better. The Countess builder with a block weapon trumps the monk in surviveability, hands down. The monk builder trumps the Countess in the ability to boost towers, and even slightly in pet boost (not sure about the pet boost on monk being better, as the wiki is unreliable and vague, will need to test).