I don't know about you guys, but when I build Nightmare, it takes some time...

--Get on Waller EV, lay down walls.
--Get on Squire, lay down poons.
--Get on App, lay down FB towers (yeah, apps are cool again).
--Get on Buff Beam EV, lay down TBBs.
--Get on Huntress, lay down traps.
--Get on Monk, lay down auras.
--Get back on any of the above to adjust defenses because the TBBs effective range missed them.
--Get back on Buff Beam EV, re-lay down TBBs because for some reason they can go on defenses, but defenses can't go on them, and I just adjusted a few towers.
--Lay down reflect walls.
--Get on DPS character, go around upgrading and prep for start.

To do all this, on a map I FARM, takes a good 15-20 minutes. On a map I havent been farming for months, we are talking 20-25+ minutes of build time.

Then some unexpected fluke (or even just a bad choice) happens 2 waves in... a poon was 3 degress shy of the right angle to cover wyverns... an ogre Kerri Strug'd over your mid wall on Aquanos... WHATEVER. In a split second, its game over.

Maybe I have just been playing this game for too long, but I feel absolutely no urge whatsoever to restart that entire build, and redo the whole thing over again. I hit Escape, Exit, grab some tea, and Double Click my Diablo 3 icon. You know why? Because checkpoints and autosaves are cool... and that game has a lot of them.

Dungeon Defenders can be cool too.

I recommend a "Save" option for builds. Lets face it, Nightmare Mode has become a meticulous, build-time consuming, one-pixel-off-on-your-gas-trap-equals-game-over, hassle. The difficulty of Nightmare (and even sharks) is great, im not talking about that. But After building a map for 20 minutes or so, and getting through a few successful waves, it's heart breaking to have the whole thing fall apart in literally 3 seconds.

Too convenient? Well, at least let us save the build IF no waves have been completed. So we still have to go through the initial no-loot wave. I don't want anything nerfed, I dont want sharks taken out, I dont want mobs weakened, I don't want Britney Spears on the X-Factor. I simply want to spend more time playing the waves, than building. With a save option, we can reload the build, fix what was "off" in it, and get right back into playing the waves. It's Dungeon Defenders... not Sim City.

Agree completely. Too time consuming setting up builds. Stop torturing us Trendy. Let us save the initial build.

I takes me more time to build aquanos wave 18 and get seahorses then beating to wave 20 *(

i normaly farm aquanos insane from wave 9 to 30 for xp , wich takes more time then doing 9 15 over and over but having to build and upgrade again is so boring i just do till 30

I don't know how long it's going to take game companies to realise that the more mundane and repetitive a time sink is the more likely it is to end up driving people away (as indicated by the OP, and he's not alone - I do that too).

It's not good when so many of these developers seem to think that grind/time sinks = great game.

Let us save and get to running the waves. As the OP suggested, just let the initial wave build be saved, please :-)

I think this might also make a good mana sink if the tavern sold the ability to save layouts. Maybe the first one is free or really cheap, but they get ridiculously expensive after that.

I think this might also make a good mana sink if the tavern sold the ability to save layouts. Maybe the first one is free or really cheap, but they get ridiculously expensive after that.

Problem with this is, that there is no "ridiculously expensive" as long as there is the mana cap. I dont value 600m or even 2b mana expensive compared to the enormous amount of time saved. And Token is not officially supported :)

But, yeah, totally agree with the OP

It could be like an upgrade meter that you have to fill (that way they can charge much more than 2 billion). Because yeah, even with just decent gear, 2 billion is a couple hours max doing Shipwreck.

Why does it have to cost mana? All that means is that the time saved on mindless building is replaced by mindless farming.

I Say make "Save Layout" Premium content , this way both sides wins , Trendy gets extra moneyzzzzz and we get more play time and less boring build time , Why premium ? because its not a must in game so those who don't want to build over and over buy it , others just build it over and over again.
Its something i would by 100%

I understand fully of what you guys are asking, i think it would be a cool and useful tool the first few times, but after that its just a "press auto build everything button" "setup auto clicker to press g every few minutes" come back in a few hours rinse and repeat for profit, that almost seems more boring, i like to keep building different maps and trying different builds, yeah ill still farm moraggo and when u have the build down you can set it up in about 5-10 minutes no prob.

I just feel that this would make the game even more mind numbing then it already is.

*My opinion*

has i stated , its not a must , so players can either use it or not. those 10 to 25 min make a difference when you only play lets say 1 2 hours per day or less giving you more play time to lets say reach last wave on survival.

I've seen this suggested half a dozen times in the last few weeks alone, with no Dev response as yet...
As far as my opinion, I feel something like this could only add to the replay value if implemented correctly.
One of the best suggestions I saw in another thread was to add something like a blueprint, where your saved layout appeared as 'ghosts' and to build you approached the ghost image and pressed a key (perhaps upgrade? As you'd be upgrading from ghost to reality) to build that tower.

Something like that would:
-still retain the need to physically run around and "build" the tower
-still require you to gather mana to build the tower
-eliminate time lost trying to get that perfect placement

As for WHEN you should be able to save it... Let's say during either the first or second build phase. As in wave 1 or 2 build phase, not the start wave you select. Sometimes there simply isn't enough mana pre wave 1 to complete a build, so extend it to that second phase, still before any loot drops (except chests)

If they want to limit it, or to make it easier on them, why not lock it to the stats your builder has when the build is saved. So that if you get a massive stat boost and want to gain the benefit of that, you have to recreate your build.
I'm sure that would make saving easier, as well as preventing any potential exploits (get naked, save build, gear up, auras where they shouldn't be).

Edit: Forgot to add, I haven't dabbled in coding for several years now, but there is clearly some form of getPosition() script in place for the towers, for displaying them on the minimap. So I doubt it should be TOO difficult to have that function return positions into an array, and obviously reverse that to dump the towers back in.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

the Ghost mode is an awesome idea i've lost games cause barrier was 0.0000000000001 inches closest to crystal and ogre splash hit crystal