Is summoner going to be like EV or Barb?

Now that I have your attention, what I mean is :)

When Barb came out it was a great new DPS char. Use him or not depended on your play style.

However, EV was pretty much a requirement to handily play the game.

Moreover, around that time Sharken was released. It took weeks of man hours for me, and many players, to move gear around. Gear up additional characters. And basically get back to the progression point you were at before EV and Sharken.

SO, is Summoner going to be a great new addition, or am I going to have to spend weeks re-arranging players, gear and strategy again?

p.s. Summoner is not out so this is all conjecture I suppose....

I think it will be like the EV in that it will become a requirement shortly after. honestly I think summoner will be the answer to all sharken haters but I could be wrong. I think it will make maps as much easier as the ev did. I can't wait for the release :D

I don't think the summoner will be essential, the series EV offered much better walls and buff beams to greatly boost tower effectiveness withouyt the need for Guardians which did make the game much easier following the Squire nerf. The Summoner offers a completely new way to go about defenses which may or may not be more effective, but isn't going to be a straight improvement over what we have. It will be more like a different way of doing things.

On the DPS support side the summoner could have some value in quick repairs and dual pets could be powerful depending on it's Hero Damage scaling but again it probably won't be a huge improvement.

I kind of see the summoner as being more for fun than a requirement. I mean, I can definitely see the summoned monsters helping out during the boss fights (summoned ogre vs kraken, perhaps). But the later waves get so chaotic that I don't see being able to keep with all the sharken and other threats as a summoner unless you devote a lot of DU to summons (in which case you'll be spreading your towers to thin).

But it still looks like it'll be a lot of fun and I'm definitely buying it.

I think there will be some gear swapping. I also won't be surprised if the gear stat mix/ratios need to be different to get the optimum results. Causing me to farm for new gear.

I kind of see the summoner as being more for fun than a requirement. I mean, I can definitely see the summoned monsters helping out during the boss fights (summoned ogre vs kraken, perhaps). But the later waves get so chaotic that I don't see being able to keep with all the sharken and other threats as a summoner unless you devote a lot of DU to summons (in which case you'll be spreading your towers to thin).

But it still looks like it'll be a lot of fun and I'm definitely buying it.

The summons are towers/defenses though. Whether they are as good as current towers remains to be seen but they should be more flexible.

The summons are towers/defenses though. Whether they are as good as current towers remains to be seen but they should be more flexible.

I just pictured them as moving around the map rather than staying stationary. I guess we'll find out next week.

Maybe if I go the suggestion forum and make a thread suggesting they release it today instead of the 23rd it'll work...

I just pictured them as moving around the map rather than staying stationary. I guess we'll find out next week.

Maybe if I go the suggestion forum and make a thread suggesting they release it today instead of the 23rd it'll work...

The digest 2 weeks ago had a list of behaviors you could set in overlord mode, which were...

- Hold Position Defensive
- Hold Position Aggressive
- Move Defensive
- Move Aggressive
- Attack Target
- Follow Target (Me or any other allied target)

New towers tend to imply one of three things.

- They're underpowered, never an optimal choice, therefore not changing endgame
- They're situational, sometimes you can make the most out of them, but sometimes they just won't do the trick, meaning they're balanced
- They're way overpowered, taking up more than their fair share in any build.

It's the second option you want to see. This will change things, make some maps easier if you have a summoner. This would also mean you have to get him some gear, maybe with a different stat priority.

Either way, as long as he's a balanced addition, you're going to want to use a few of his towers in most builds.

The only thing you do need to consider outside of the general considerations for a tower character is the fact the summoner will be kind of different. He is the only character who can go into overlord mode and control his defenses. This means he may be a hero you'll only play when you don't really need to have a dps hero on the map.

This will, of course, only be speculation untill we know more.

I wanna know what kind of weapons are going to drop when you play as the summoner.

Pets? lol

what if they're unchargeable? =o

I am assuming you mean upgradable in which devs said they would be upgradable and could be buffed like any tower.

I wanna know what kind of weapons are going to drop when you play as the summoner.

Pets? lol

Good question I hope maybe only armor for better armor collection.

Anyways I personally think how new he is compared to the others its impossible to determine how good he is unless you play him first hand. I hope he is a good addition and so far he sounds like it, personally I don't care since I like everything I have heard about him I just hope all the summons are useful unlike some towers are now(well its more like some towers are more useful and make others obsolete for the same class like proxy traps and ethereal spike).

Summoner will be the best AFK hero I think. Two DPS pets? A djinnlet and an imp to continuously repair towers while AFK? Two guardians?

I wasn't going to mention this, just incase trendy did rip phase shifts properties straight from pure strategy, but it is possible that Guardians will stil work in phase shift. If they do you would be able to sit an AFK summoner, with 2 guardians, anywhere and not worry about them dying.

I said unchargeable, as in not being able to be moved by sharks? lol, but it wouldn't matter cause you can move them back any time you like.. so you get your moving wall option as long as your summoner is still active :P

Yeah I also think the summoner is going to be essential (unlike of the barbarian which I now hardly ever use) especially so with the final chapter and new enemy.