Trendy has been on fire, however...

It would definitely cut the time you spend building on certain maps, which can get tedious. Will definitely mean more pets coming into the game :P

This comes up often in the thread graveyard... err... Suggestion forum.

A little while ago someone pointed out how saving layouts could emphasize strategy, allowing players to endlessly tweak layouts to really hone their defenses.

I think the only opposition from other players relates to how it would trivialize portions of the game, which led me to thinking about alternatives.

One thing I came up with is the idea to only allow saving layouts in Pure Strategy mode. This seems like a great fit to me: it would make Pure Strategy even more strategic. Players that want to tweak and tweak and tweak can do so in a dedicated mode. Players that think saving layouts cheapens the experience can be content knowing that it only works in a more that drops worse loot.

This could make Pure Strategy even better as a "pure" Tower Defense game.

Yeah, just off the top of my head -- without thinking about any potential negative effects -- I think this is a great idea that would really save some serious time... Like, a half hour per map in prep time.

Nowadays pretty much all of the "community tested and proved" layouts involve at least 4 different class types. Unless you've committed the layout to memory, it can take 20 to 30 minutes just to set everything up, especially when you're going back-and-forth between a Web browser and the game (I usually run DD in a smaller-res windowed mode when I do this, with the browser scaled down to something crazy like 400x1080, but I still have to ALT-TAB between the two).

Unless you're blessed with having a multi-monitor setup, it's a pain (and one that I don't think HAS to exist). How about it, Trendy? Is there any reason you wouldn't consider implementing something like this?

(If you don't like the idea of players being able to just load up a map and go, what about some kind of savable "ghost" layout, which saves the position of all towers and shows them on the map as opaque, ethereal representations of the applicable towers? You'd still have to set everything up manually, but this way you could at least save layouts, and maybe even share them with other players if you employed some kind of ID system!)

saving games and layouts will mean trendy has to buy a whole lot of cloud / server storage tech + maintenance + data safety lul

saving games and layouts will mean trendy has to buy a whole lot of cloud / server storage tech + maintenance + data safety lul

Not necessarily... So much is stored client-side already that it's possible the data could be packed into the dundefheroes file, and if not, I'm sure it could piggyback on TrendyNet.

The concept itself really doesn't require a significant amount of memory, anyway. You know how the Web-based layouts work? Every possible combination of towers and positions is simply assigned an X-bit code, depending on how the ID system works. For example, a full custom Misty layout is simply represented by a string of numbers and/or letters like this:

[QUOTE]if87hf84s9efsnf8ngj9rgnnngr9ug94ngr0e59959ggjgjlautwwh73737884fjvjkjfjdfffhiikji2999994jnghhhfhgjakbcjxbckljduqiod38u7328rhf2238ryhc82298yvhu8h7f349ihfg63892hf98gd78ew8yd982998yf2h9859ggjgjlautwwh73737884fjv84s9efsnf8737884fjvjkjfjdfffhiikji2999994jnghhhfhgjakbcjxbc
[/QUOTE]
...etc. The point is, the saving system is ridiculously simple, and it could require less memory than it takes to store a single piece of armor.

Nowadays pretty much all of the "community tested and proved" layouts involve at least 4 different class types. Unless you've committed the layout to memory, it can take 20 to 30 minutes just to set everything up, especially when you're going back-and-forth between a Web browser and the game (I usually run DD in a smaller-res windowed mode when I do this, with the browser scaled down to something crazy like 400x1080, but I still have to ALT-TAB between the two).

There's no need to ALT-TAB if you feel like you need to follow a layout (unless you're not using Steam...?): Just SHIFT-TAB and use the Steam web browser. Yes, I know it's not the best browser around, but it gets the job done and is a whole lot easier on your PC. Plus, you can surf the web while you ride out the wave XD

EDIT: Even though I do have my setups commited to memory, I still take 20-30mins to set things up. It's all about making sure auras/traps are as efficient as possible :P I don't think it's that great an idea either, all it will end up encouraging is mindless zombie farming where once you found something that vaguely works, people are likely to just spam without a thought for better layouts/efficiency :(

There's no need to ALT-TAB if you feel like you need to follow a layout (unless you're not using Steam...?): Just SHIFT-TAB and use the Steam web browser. Yes, I know it's not the best browser around, but it gets the job done and is a whole lot easier on your PC. Plus, you can surf the web while you ride out the wave XD

EDIT: Even though I do have my setups commited to memory, I still take 20-30mins to set things up. It's all about making sure auras/traps are as efficient as possible :P I don't think it's that great an idea either, all it will end up encouraging is mindless zombie farming where once you found something that vaguely works, people are likely to just spam without a thought for better layouts/efficiency :(

But what if that's the way they want to play? I mean optimization isn't for everyone. I know in my case, if it works, don't bother.The feature doesn't cater to your playstyle, but that doesn't mean it won't cater to someone else's.

I don't think it's that great an idea either, all it will end up encouraging is mindless zombie farming where once you found something that vaguely works, people are likely to just spam without a thought for better layouts/efficiency :(

This. Alot of people think 'saving layouts' would help people improve their builds. I think it will do exactly what you just said there. When people find something that vaguely works they will just load it everytime without caring about tweaking builds and making them better. Having to place the towers again everytime makes the player still think about what he is doing everytime and (hopefully) do something a little different.

Sure, it would help -a few- tweakers out. But it would help the lazy who don't want to learn to make better builds out even more. They could just hammer at levels with loss after loss looking for better gear to make worse builds work, which is what I'm pretty sure trendy is trying to discourage or nightmare wouldn't be as difficult as it is.

yah, but each player would have to build it first and be able to win it.

You can only save and reload your own build. To progress you'll be forced to tweak it and get it right. You can't jump into someone else's game and save their build or even "download and load" a build. Heck, go so far as you can only save towers you place.

It takes like 14 runs sometimes to get 1 upgrade...Each time 30 min or so to layout the towers; it's depressing...

It takes me forever to get the towers just right. I place and sell and place and sell. Right now I would do an AQ run if it wouldn't take me 30 min to layout the towers.

Well like I mentioned earlier, it could also be a layout that doesn't actually build the towers for you... It could be a "ghost"-type layout that shows the positions and everything -- maybe something you can toggle -- and you'd still have to build the towers yourself (although you'd just be building on top of the "ghost" towers anyway).

But yeah, to make it less EZ-mode, I guess you could ditch the "sharing" idea and make it so that players can't swap builds or do any kind of import/export... I mean, then it'd be the same as using Web-based guides, the only difference being that it's actually in-game and a LOT more convenient...

Yeah, just off the top of my head -- without thinking about any potential negative effects -- I think this is a great idea that would really save some serious time... Like, a half hour per map in prep time.

Unless you're blessed with having a multi-monitor setup, it's a pain (and one that I don't think HAS to exist). How about it, Trendy? Is there any reason you wouldn't consider implementing something like this?

(If you don't like the idea of players being able to just load up a map and go, what about some kind of savable "ghost" layout, which saves the position of all towers and shows them on the map as opaque, ethereal representations of the applicable towers? You'd still have to set everything up manually, but this way you could at least save layouts, and maybe even share them with other players if you employed some kind of ID system!)

I absolutely love the idea of saving a "ghost" position for your defenses. Especially if when using this mode and you hovered a defense over your ghost it "snapped" to the exact position of your ghost layout that way in those maps where you have really tight setups you don't have to spend 5-20 seconds trying to get it to go green which I find really frustrating especially when there is a countdown timer.

If this isn't seen as "fair" there could be a slight penalty to it so that using it speeds things up but you don't get as much reward out of it or something.

Well like I mentioned earlier, it could also be a layout that doesn't actually build the towers for you... It could be a "ghost"-type layout that shows the positions and everything -- maybe something you can toggle -- and you'd still have to build the towers yourself (although you'd just be building on top of the "ghost" towers anyway).

But yeah, to make it less EZ-mode, I guess you could ditch the "sharing" idea and make it so that players can't swap builds or do any kind of import/export... I mean, then it'd be the same as using Web-based guides, the only difference being that it's actually in-game and a LOT more convenient...

Now THAT sounds freakin' awesome. (We probably won't be able to implement saved layouts, though.)

I really liked the idea of using this feature in pure strat. I'm all for anything to make that mode more viable, actually.

Now THAT sounds freakin' awesome. (We probably won't be able to implement saved layouts, though.)

Does not compute... When you say the devs probably won't be able to implement saved layouts, are you talking about this entire idea (including some kind of compromised version, like the "ghost" layouts)? Or were you just referring to the potential ability to share/import layouts?

Glad you see the merit in some aspect of this idea, though! Cheers!

i can see share/import really adversely effecting the game play.

Save/Load your own builds, that i'm down with!

I'd settle for the ghost view too.

Ghost view would be awesome. That way you would also be able to make tine adjustements to your build - compared to previous positions and such. C'mon Trendy, just do it :)