Sign in to follow this  
sindro

Diablo 3 vs. Dungeon Defenders

Was wondering where this thread went...

Unexpectedly became real excited about D3 a few days ago and don't necessarily agree with the claims that D3 and DD are "entirely different games" or "apples v. oranges" - at least from the view of someone who is interested in continued play at the end game. There's only one difficulty (nightmare) and a few maps (shards/city) that "matter" in DD. The same will likely be true of Inferno/Act IV in Diablo.

The tower defense/control of your environment aspect of DD should infuse the game with a strong strategic element and replayability, but there are only two mechanics that matter: gas mobs and kill them while they're stuck, and keep harpoons/fireballs far enough away from walls to stymie ogres. Once a build works, I have no inclination to make it more efficient, and there are no wacky towers that are so fun and strange that it's worth incorporating them in a less efficient build just to mess around. The previous Kandar Aquanos build was forgiving in terms of tower placement, and the new one became more efficient at the cost of being less forgiving, more time consuming to build, and more frustrating. Efficiency becomes more and more constraining instead of being elegant/synergistic.

D3 provides less control over the environment, but there will be some randomization in dungeons, mob placement, and scripted events that reward replays even at the final difficulty. In many ways, I expect to have more control over my experience through the use of different characters and different builds than I do through tower placement in DD.

The towers sucked me in to DD but the loot sold me, and past the RNG similarities between DD and D3 it is a comparison between apples and something infinitely better than apples. I don't mind farming for six hours and getting no upgrades to my gear, but when the 10 billion I get from selling the 100 good drops goes into tokens that I have no inclination to use because auctioning through forums is horribly inefficient, then what's left? D3 should have smoother progression, better documentation (so I'll spend less time doing community outreach in an AFK shop), better buying/selling, and better sinks for excess resources.

Not sure I'll have more fun with D3 than I did with DD, but I expect more longevity and less headaches along with plenty of strategic (build) and tactical (action) decisions. Click, loot, progress... doesn't feel different at all.

I have played D3 all day long and the fact, that I am posting now, means, that I haven't completly written off DD. I was sceptical about D3, because the beta left a strange feeling, but now that I have played way beyond that, it is a very solid and good game.

In Dungeon Defenders I am really stuck in progression right now, and I have the feeling, many players are. I have solid 1.5-2k Chars in every category and I recently unlocked the trans survivalist achievement but I can't go further than that.
I can't beat Wave 20 on Misty on my own, I can't beat the Aquanos Boss on my own etc. The few Trans items i find on the campaign Survivals are mostly useless and if I find something in an afk Shop, the owner mostly want to trade rather than sell it for tokens.

This is a major issue for me right now, and the fact, that most of my online friends switched to D3 or can't play because of deleted Characters or items, make the decision really simple for me: I am playing D3 until Trendy solves these problems.

One funny thing...
When the gamers play Diablo 3, they complain: "This game is too easy and short, I've wasted my money".
When the game is Dungeon Defenders, they also complain: "This game takes so much time to progress, and NM is too hard".
LOL

One funny thing...
When the gamers play Diablo 3, they complain: "This game is too easy and short, I've wasted my money".
When the game is Dungeon Defenders, they also complain: "This game takes so much time to progress, and NM is too hard".
LOL
too short and easy? Diablo is an extremely long and hard game, with over 2.5 million features updated from 2 to 3, imagine all the new features.