Sign in to follow this  
sindro

Diablo 3 vs. Dungeon Defenders

I'm shocked that people say these are completely different games. They are not. The basic mechanics are the same... Kill monsters, get loot. Diablo 3 will most likely replace this game for me. I loved the time I spent with Dungeon defenders, though having to buy the game twice while Im still waiting for them to restore my characters has sucked...

I was looking forward to Diablo III until I heard about Dungeon Defenders. I got this game the same weekend the Diablo III open beta came out and played the beta for about 5 min before I stopped and went back to playing Dungeon Defenders.

Diablo 3 is completely differnt than Dungeon Defenders. If your rationale is they the same because you kill monster and get loot then that is much to broad. You could then say Dungeon Defenders is like Grand Theft Auto where u can kill mobs and get loot and Minecraft where you can kill mobs and get loot and a use map setting starcraft ii rpg where u kill monsters and get loot.

Dungeon Defenders. Towers. Most Characters are stats and 2 abilities. Mind numbing xp slog.
Diablo 3: No towers. Characters are much more than just stats and can choose a wide range of abilities. Will prolly be a Mind numbing xp slog. (Guess you got me on that part)

Guild Wars 2 (and the beta weekends leading up to it) and Torchlight 2. Both of those in addition to Dun Def. The excitement I had for D3 faded pretty quickly as more and more things about it were announced.

I'll probably do the same as I do now - play DD when I feel like playing DD. And play minecraft/Terraria/Grimrock/Avernum/D3/whatever the hell takes my fancy when I feel like playing them.

Dunno why people think you have to play ONE game and only ONE game =)

apples vs oranges?

$5~40 (depending when/how/what you bought DD) vs $60+?
I paid ~25 for this game, of course it's going to be only half as good as Diablo 3, costing at least twice if not triple of what you paid for DD. Also, selling items for real money is legal in Diablo 3. They even have an auction specifically designed for it to keep everything watched. We're talking about BLIZZARD here, a team of hundreds of developers, code-makers, artists, and all these tech-savvy people backed by millions of dollars. Let not forget a massive beta-testing team.

DD or D3 or both or both and other games?
I'll go with the last option. But the truth is, if your question is this "Will you be reducing your DD playtime when Diablo 3 comes out?" My answer is immediately yes with a slow curve return to normal DD playing time.

just because a new game is going to come out doesn't mean everyone will buy the game day 1 i don't really like buying games at release day unless i really wanted it like bf3 on release day

Well massive development team and beta testers are nice (I'm still convinced the DD beta team is a lie ;O) but to sum it up:

Diablo 3 so far leaves me entirely unimpressed (and this is comming from a die-hard Diablo fan, I played the **** out of D1 and i wouldnt be surprised if I sunk more than 2500 hours in D2)

And theres an entire LIST of things that make my say MEH ontop of it looking entirely sterile and lacking any charm
1. Real money auction house? BIIIIIIIG nono in any game. And if Blizzard can pull this one off have fun finding a game in 5 years that doesnt have this "feature"
2. Its a goddarnmotherfracking hack & slash. Get rid of this PVP bull****, no one needs that an its entirely immpossible to balance in such a game.
3. Ok this point is kind subjective but where are my beloved classes of old?

Long story short, i'm not betting money on it but i think D3 could be a turning point in Blizzards game development history from holycrapawesome to just another developer amongst many. I was already severly disappointed with SC2 (but then I never was a competitive RTS player, a skirmish or two with friends or on a lan) but nothing ive heard or seen so far of D3 makes it sound worth the 60 bucks.

But then again its Blizzard, they could probably make a game about shoveling horsesh+t and would sell a million copys^^

Oh, that's one other thing. The price. Thank you for reminding me, ManaCorporation. I don't like buying games that have a SINGLE price of 40 to 50 bucks or higher. If it's spread across the game + optional DLC, that's fine. But I don't like buying games like Diablo 3, GW2, and such when they cost that much. Especially if I don't know if I'll stay hooked into it.

I'm more of an indy game person I suppose. I dunno. I like games that aren't TOO pricey yet have plenty of content to keep me occupied. If it's free, that's even better. Games like spiral knights, DD, Diablo 2(I didn't buy it, someone gave it to me + expansion and strategy guide), Terraria, Minecraft, and Alien Swarm. That's pretty much the gist of it.

I'll be playing both. Both games are awesome and I don't see a reason to not play DD next to D3. However, it's probably going to decrease my amount of time spent on DD for a week or 2. I at least want to beat hell difficulty, then chip away at inferno bit by bit.

supported arena system, PvP death match :) nuff said

Wasn't this said to not be included yet upon release of the game?

These games aren't even remotely similar. I'm also highly against the real money auction house in D3, so I won't be playing it. it's a shame, because I wanted to. But I refuse to support that sort of thing. Even if I did play it, it wouldn't be as a replacement for DunDef, again, because they're different kinds of games.

>> Implying that buying a product which includes this service is automatically supporting said service...

Did you know that the real money auction house is something you access from the main menu, and you won't even see it from within the game? At least that's how it was in beta.

Besides, D3 isn't a game where buying an item would give you a significant advantage over others. You know, unlike a certain other game where those bought items come with increased hacked stats. Further, this method will significantly decrease the amount of spam and bullcrap from goldsellers within the game, like we see in D2 and WoW. They'll simply be there in the AH and keep the real money prices at an absolute minimum. Blizzard can now contain them within an auction house which they are able to regulate. It's brilliant for everyone. Why would you not want this?

comparing indies with d3 is like .........................

I generally think d3 will only attract graphic enthusiast rather then the old d2 style gamers ,and dd is not even the same type of game.

i generally scroll through css / anno / killing floor / dd everyday. (once i die for example at wave 23 misty ) after 3 hours i generally would be too drained to go back and run another 3 hours on the same time frame.

And last i checked dd's main attraction is towerdefence over *killing and loot stuff* :p

These games aren't even remotely similar. I'm also highly against the real money auction house in D3, so I won't be playing it. it's a shame, because I wanted to. But I refuse to support that sort of thing. Even if I did play it, it wouldn't be as a replacement for DunDef, again, because they're different kinds of games.

You are not forced to use real money in the auction, you can use gold for trading items.

I literally had a dreamed this night about how I was playing Diablo III. I'm 100% positive that I'm gonna quit Dungeon Defenders on May 15th, 2012. Not forever though. Don't get me wrong, when I'm sick of Diablo, the next game I'm gonna boot up is Dungeon Defenders. :) Both these two games are great and different, and I wouldn't stop playing Dungeon Defenders, if I didn't like Diablo so much. :D Diablo is just top priority on my gaming list.

All D3 lovers, see you at launch! ;D

1. Real money auction house? BIIIIIIIG nono in any game. And if Blizzard can pull this one off have fun finding a game in 5 years that doesnt have this "feature"

I found this a little funny. Just because it's not the way things have been done traditionally makes it a huge no-no? What about it is going to change your gameplay experience? People are going to be buying items for in-game loot? Guess what, they'd do that even if it wasn't against the rules. Just like they always have.

It's the same reasoning that weed and prostitution are legal in Amsterdam. Controlling these things make them much safer and less public-intrusive than NOT controlling them. If they didn't have this USD auction house, they'd have a dark alley black market just like DD and most every other online game does.

To be honest, I think this is one of the most brilliant ideas ever and I can't wait to implement it into an online title I am working on. I've always intended to CONTROL these things instead of pretend like they aren't happening behind the scenes when everyone knows they are.

In response to the poll: Both. But I'll definitely play DD more. It's a better concept. I think it's funny how the OP only made it one or the other though so that it would appear as if DD was going to have a massive rush of players quit the game when the vast majority of players on these forums would vote 'Both' as the thread has started to show.

Someone should remake the poll with a 'Both' and 'Neither' option and request this one be closed :P (Yes some people would select neither because they are on these forums and not actively playing DD because they want it 'fixed' first so neither is just as necessary as both)

I'm shocked that people say these are completely different games. They are not. The basic mechanics are the same... Kill monsters, get loot.

Tower Defense with action RPG elements vs Action RPG
Defend your crystal(s) vs Kill ALL the things!
Yes, the "Kill monsters, get loot." is the same, but that's still not enough to call these games similar in any fashion, because the "basic mechanic" in most games is "Kill monsters, get loot"

yah, both games are different, despite being partly RPGs. They are RPGs in the same sense that Secret of Mana on the SNES is compared to Final Fantasy.

Probably gonna play Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 (when it releases) for a long time and possibly come back to DD in a few months, maybe. DDs getting a bit stale for me so after the Shards is done, I'll probably stop playing and wait for future Trendy games :P

For sure when it comes out Diablo III will be the easy choice for a number of reason at last for an X variable amount of time:

1) put a lot of time already playing DD
2) put a lot of years waiting for D3 to finally come out
3) can't wait to play a fresh Diablo game again
ecc

This doesn't mean i will not be playing DD anymore tho, i'll slowly get to a point where i probably will play both of them in more or less equal timings, but i'd be false in saying omg i'll play DD all life long :) Hell i think most of the DD Staff it's gonna play D3 aswell :)

I will play both... A little.
Tho I hope that D3 release will shift Trendy's attitude
from "lets add more content!"
to "how can we please our loyal customers?"

Guys my point is: DD and Diablo are very similar games.
DD has a lot of D2 inside.
Item Grinding, Coop play and Characters development really look like D2.
Main differences is that Diablo has a bigger world and it has no towers, you attack, you don't defend, which is a good thing since I'm a lazy ***** :)
D3 is going to be a complete new story, though.
They've abandoned the character building story: everybody will have the same stats and skills at the same level and they will only be able to have different strategies and different equipment. It is going to be just about your skill in building your style and how is going to be good your style.
We are speaking of a game that was almost ready in 2006 (if I recall right) and was CANCELED and rebuilt from scratch with another team because it wasn't fun enough. We are speaking about blizzard: this means that the game is going to be Flawless at launch, you won't need 15 patches before being able to play, you are no more a beta tester, you are a gamer. AND this is worth 30 bucks more, in my opinion. They have like 70 developers and artists while trendy, if I recall again correctly, has 3 programmers, and they did great job!
D3 is going to be the game of the year, and probably the game of the 2 or 3 coming years.
DD is a great game, a great idea with very little resources. I'm strongly looking forward to see DD2, I think that trendy got lots of learnings from DD and they will be able to build a way better game, hopefully flawless.