Map Name : Kings Valley
Author: Nexus
Game Type : Crystal Defense
Player Count : 4+
Objective : Defend the Crystals at 4 unique locations.

Completion : 99.9999998% complete. Map is completed and Submitted. Few problems I didn't get to fix were found after the time window closed. Like Wyvern pathing by the castle not working, some orbs in the throne room decided to pull a fast one and not cook correctly. Some other very small details.

Author Objective: I wanted to build something that was outside the box. Literally, with how your typical Dungeon Defenders map is. I've always wanted to see some more dynamic environments and some more interactivity in a map. So I set out to do just that. Catapults, secret passages, hard to get to treasures, surrounded by a unique and vibrant environment. Sticking to the visual style of Dungeon Defenders as well, I did take a few artistic liberties to give my map its own magic feel. I hope everyone enjoys it!

This is a big map. Only the best Defenders will be able to conquer it!
Current Version : 2.0 Final Final Submitted as is. Hope everyone likes it.
Download Link : http://dungeondefenders.nexusmods.com/mods/37/

TEASER Video :
[video=youtube_share;9mLg7UKVU20]http://youtu.be/9mLg7UKVU20[/video]

Screen shots :

Night Version (unreleased during contest)

INFO :

-Features 4 crystal locations over the map!
-Portals for quick travel to each location!
-A looming non working Boss
-Many Secret chest locations!
-A lot of room to explore!
-ICE Skating!
-Unique and powerful rewards for completing the map.
+ More travel mechanics: Secret tunnels & Catapults.
-- Minecarts have been set aside for a different map.

And thank you Trendy Team for the video review and the podcast interview! Muchos Gracias! For anyone who misses the news post the video is found here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by8sUvsHv-4
and the podcast ( http://dungeondefenders.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Map-Contest-Kings-Valley.mp3 )

Thanks again guys!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the scenery view already a lot. As for what you have planned you may want to limit yourself to 4 crystals. Having more can causes performance issues if memory serves me correctly.

This contest keeps getting crazier. I'm gonna have to host more testing events, lol. Looks great! :)

I like the scenery view already a lot. As for what you have planned you may want to limit yourself to 4 crystals. Having more can causes performance issues if memory serves me correctly.

Really? Okay I will keep that in mind then. Sort of nullifies some of the map with a crystal less but I suppose I can work something else in.

When you develop a map, you need to be prepared to rework various parts of it and change this or that around. I had a few friends test out an early version of a map I was working on and they all said the same thing about a particular section of the map, so I decided I had to change it in some way, even though I liked how it went. These sorts of things will happen to everybody who tries their hand at this. :)

This is a good time to tell you that you also want to make sure not to go too high with the DU. Too much DU can be problematic for the same reason too many crystals can be.

One other little tip for you: If you look at the other maps where the windows you chose are being used, and switch the view to wireframe, you'll be able to see and click on the god-ray meshes in front of them. These will look much nicer than point lights in front of them. :)

One other little tip for you: If you look at the other maps where the windows you chose are being used, and switch the view to wireframe, you'll be able to see and click on the god-ray meshes in front of them. These will look much nicer than point lights in front of them. :)

Yeah that just doesn't have the same effect really. The "god-ray" light is really just a spot light. The other lights accompanying them are dimmer point lights. Not exactly the appearance I am going for. But thanks for the suggestions!

The map looks really great! Just like Alhanalem said...

...One other little tip for you: If you look at the other maps where the windows you chose are being used, and switch the view to wireframe, you'll be able to see and click on the god-ray meshes in front of them. These will look much nicer than point lights in front of them. :)

...there are some minor things, that could look a bit better with some simple changes.
Nice work!

Sorry for the OT question, but how is this happening? Because i am just on to build a map with much more than 5 crystals. If this would cause performansce lacks, it may be a bad idea. Is this based on the pathfinding-agent or something similar?

[QUOTE]Sorry for the OT question, but how is this happening? Because i am just on to build a map with much more than 5 crystals. If this would cause performansce lacks, it may be a bad idea. Is this based on the pathfinding-agent or something similar? [/QUOTE]Most likely, it places extra load on the AI processing. I can tell you what happens with too much DU- the game gets out of sync (I played rainbow of death with a friend, and in the later waves, by the end of the action he would be like 30 seconds behind or more and I'd have to wait for his end to catch up before the next wave)

Okay so after doing some tweaking with lights and putting in the light mass box i keep getting an error that looks like this :

Swarm will be allowed to distribute this job
(11:01:40:705)Log: *** CRITICAL ERROR! Machine: BLACKNBLUE
(11:01:40:706)Log: *** CRITICAL ERROR! Logfile: UnrealLightmass_BLACKNBLUE_F69D11B2430CCF5D49BD338254B2FFE3.log
(11:01:40:706)Log: *** CRITICAL ERROR! Crash report:
(11:01:40:859)Log: Job has failed! Job executable didn't exit cleanly. Exit code: 1
(11:01:40:877)PerfEvent: LIGHTING BUILD INFO TIME LoadListCtrl: 0.018319
(11:01:52:153)Log: Illumination: 1:33 min (0 ms encoding lightmaps)
(11:01:52:154)Log: Lightmap texture memory: 0.0 MB (0.0 MB on Xbox 360, 0.0 MB streaming, 0.0 MB non-streaming)
(11:01:52:154)Log: Shadowmap texture memory: 0.0 MB (0.0 MB on Xbox 360, 0.0 MB streaming, 0.0 MB non-streaming)

I can't find the log it references anywhere, however. Any ideas?

Be sure to fill this out and add it to the OP --

Map Name:

Author:

Gametype:

Player Count:

Objective:

Added. Thanks!

Some new screenshots will be coming soon. I've been hard at work with all of the many details!

Looking good :) I'd definitely look into adding a dominant directional light to the level as well as some heightfog! Keep it up!

Thanks. I had a directional light before but got rid of it because it was causing some glitching. Added a new one here! Also, height fog is present, just hard to tell from the screen shot angle above.

Through the doorway of the village tavern!

Ah looks nice!!! For directional lights to take effect you need to make sure the skydome mesh doesn't cast shadow. Also there is a bit of an issue with the way the outline effect works on really distant things that makes crazy wild lines for things in the distance, if you make the material on the distant mountains translucent it will get rid of all of the wild crazy line nonsense :D

Ah looks nice!!! For directional lights to take effect you need to make sure the skydome mesh doesn't cast shadow. Also there is a bit of an issue with the way the outline effect works on really distant things that makes crazy wild lines for things in the distance, if you make the material on the distant mountains translucent it will get rid of all of the wild crazy line nonsense :D

Ah thanks! I was actually just about to ask that. For the material, I would do that in the material editor correct?

Huh. Seems to only result in the mountains not showing up at all... maybe I missed something?

Everything looks great- you've done a ton of work on this. My only criticism remains with the lights on the windows. The reason is simple: Light from a window does not radiate on the surface around it. to produce the kind of lighting you have on the towers, it would need to be coming from a light source outside the window. Proper light sourcing (Making sure that lighting has a justification for its existence) makes a huge difference in map aesthetics. Take this thought to heart- You're really doing a great job! That's the only criticism I have!

Everything looks great- you've done a ton of work on this. My only criticism remains with the lights on the windows. The reason is simple: Light from a window does not radiate on the surface around it. to produce the kind of lighting you have on the towers, it would need to be coming from a light source outside the window. Proper light sourcing (Making sure that lighting has a justification for its existence) makes a huge difference in map aesthetics. Take this thought to heart- You're really doing a great job! That's the only criticism I have!

Thanks. And I am actually going to be revamping all of the lights around windows and the like once I've finished doing most of the construction and fine details. Just using the point lights as place holders and as light references for the time being. I usually save lighting for last when building a level. : )

But thank you for the feed back! The finished level will not disappoint I hope!