So...i tried Aquanos insane a few moments ago.
3 harpoons, Monk Strength Drain and Slowdown Aura, Gas Trap, and EV walls and buffbeams at each entrance.
Then the Sharken comes. Speed up. and run straight through the gas trap and slow aura, kicked the Walls away and killed the crystal.
So...this was realy crazy.
Why dont they get stunned from the Gas trap like any other enemy?
Even the harpoon wont focus him, they shoot the Ogre instead...
I hate this sharken -.-

If they are preparing to charge or already charging, the gas trap won't affect them. They only get stunned if they are stunned by the gas before they start the charge animation. Try putting the gas trap further away from the wall if possible, even if that means it won't be buff beamed.

They can only be affected "BEFORE" they charge. Builds are mostly going Gas Trap + Strength Drain/Darkness Trap + Electric Aura/Inferno Trap/Proxie Trap outside the lane to deal with sharkens and general trash.

They work on a similar mechanic to sappers. If you gas them before they charge/light up they will be stunned. If the light up/charge first they are immune.

The sharken sucks in my opinion. there is no fun for me to play now.
Hope it will be better with Summoner then

Yeah the shaken have ruined my gaming experience as well. Maps that were beatable for me are no longer possible after many tries.

i think i will quit this game as long there is nothing new, like the summoner.
The sharken sucks in my opinion. there is no fun for me to play now.

Translation:

I can't AFK waves anymore.
/end sarcastic-ish comment.

I don't understand it. I swear so many people only played this game so they could just sit and do nothing. Now that the levels require intelligence it's like... not okay?

It isn't just you making these complaints. So many seem to think a game isn't fun if it means they can't AFK a wave.

I'm sure if you just spend some time on it you'll be able to find ways to keep winning again! :)

Serious question.

Where are you guys in stat progression and level progression? Sharken have certainly not made things easier, but since I was using gas traps for just about every lane anyway for Djinn, I haven't really noticed sharken changing much.

I am wondering at what progression level most of the people having problems are at.

yes...
first (before the halloween event) i played apprentice.
Then a long time later the apprentice build was horrible.
Then i pushed my squire to 74 to let him build.
Now the sharken release, and the Squire sucks if you dont have 3k stats.
At the moment it seems that i have to play a highlevel monk for building...

also i think they ruined the game with to high stats.
after a while tower stats wont matter anymore, there is nearly no change.
So...why do they release more and more powerful equip?
Supremace now, whats next?
Do we need 5k stats to beat the next enemy then?

@Lars:
My EV is at 2k Tower HP, 1,5k rest. wall at 5 is over 100k HP. Buffbeam is boosting the tower dmg with 2,11 at 5 i think, something about 1,5 the other stats.
My Squire is at 1,5k Tower dmg and speed. harpoon is hitting with something about 18k i think.
My Monk is at 1,5k Aura range and stregth. Maximun slowdown (15%) and a range of 14.
before the sharken it worked fine, realy.
But now...how do i get better stats if i cant beat the waves anymore?
Join random games and Ninja-loot everything? realy?

Sharken are trash mobs now...as suggested above, try putting it a little further away from the walls but close enough to be in Harpoon's range.

Also my Countess is at Lv. 83 with 1.5K stats so...I don't quite see your point.

there is no sense if the sharken charges in a blind spot.
The main problem is the middle crystal at aquanos, the sharken charges while he is still behind the corner.
the harpoons wont fire at him because they cant see him
then he charges and boom, walls pushed away, ogre walks through, crystal down.
Sometimes a Genie will fly over my harpoons and auras (dont know how) and desummon them, sometimes they stuck in the air where i cant hit them, or the Fish wyvers will come through because my harpoons cant handle the ogre and sharken spawn, and onehit my crystal, very nice.

i mean...this isnt even NM, it is Insane.
I failed at wave 10!
This is why the fun is gone for me.
To get better equip i need to finish this, but i need the equip i would get there to finish it. this cant be true.
Thanks to the Easter event i equipped most of my Chars, without the eggs...no chance.

yes...
first (before the halloween event) i played apprentice.
Then a long time later the apprentice build was horrible.
Then i pushed my squire to 74 to let him build.
Now the sharken release, and the Squire sucks if you dont have 3k stats.
At the moment it seems that i have to play a highlevel monk for building...

also i think they ruined the game with to high stats.
after a while tower stats wont matter anymore, there is nearly no change.
So...why do they release more and more powerful equip?
Supremace now, whats next?
Do we need 5k stats to beat the next enemy then?

@Lars:
My EV is at 2k Tower HP, 1,5k rest.
My Squire is at 1,5k Tower dmg and speed
My Monk is at 1,5k Aura range and stregth
before the sharken it worked fine, realy.
But now...how do i get better stats if i cant beat the waves anymore?
Join random games and Ninja-loot everything? realy?

First off, with those stats, can I assume you're working on NM survival for gear? Also, I'm assuming you've beat mist mire and moraggo to open survival NM? If not work on those. The next parts will refer mostly to survival strat, but they are still valid in campaign. The Monster fest maps may still provide some upgrades. I haven't done them in a while though, although I did the new one once and it was much nicer to setup than OMF.

I have no stats beyond 3k, and other than tower HP, My stats are mostly 2000-2500 Tower Attack and 800-1200 Tower spd for most characters. I have a clear path for upgrades (20+ survival), but it just takes time.

You don't list a huntress, so flat out you need a huntress. For high level of survival I generally felt you needed a huntress for djinn before, but sharken heighten that requirement. Also a good Hero monk and a good DPS pet help a lot (until recently i was using a 96 upgrade gryphon).

Your huntress doesn't need all that good of gear at first. Using only gas traps you can probably get by with less than 1000 in each stat until you find more to gear up a huntress. Gas traps scale with Tower HP, Tower Rng, Tower Spd; attack makes no difference(i think) and I would guess 500 in each would be a good starting point. I put down gas traps with my hero gear and they worked ok for quite a few waves (500-600 in each stat).

Since the sharken release, A fairly standard defense at any choke is.
1-2 boosted turrets (1-2 harpoon or 1 harpoon/1fire ball)
1 ev wall (boost depends on DU and positioning)
1 boosted gas trap
1 boosted ensnare
1 boosted lightning aura

You can add darkness or reflects or str drain depending on DU. Or you can swap inferno/proxy for the lightning in some cases.

The gas trap needs to be a ways out, but it depends on your range. I can put the edge of the trap next to my wall and still make it to 20+ aquanos without sharken ever charging. The lightning aura needs to be able to hit all mobs stuck in the gas and preferably a bit beyond. Also the gas trap should generally be the furthest thing forward in terms of the center part.

You should see some upgrades at 15+ misty/moraggo/kara/aquanos/citc and probably more in any wave past 20. The RNG is still pretty random, so from 15-20 you might only find a piece or 2, and then probably around 1-4 per wave past 20. With my stats, I still occasionally find upgrades/equivalents at 15+ and usually find something every other wave past 20.

Like others have said, if you aren't using gas traps, you should. Make electric auras and gas traps kill all the trash in it with help of harpoons / fire turrets. And STR Drain to clear immunities. The rest is up to you. I have a friend who likes Inferno traps to help clear, I have a friend who likes Lightning Towers to help clear and stun some more. But you do need a way to stop them before they charge, before they get lone of sight on your walls.

ensnare + prox = no sharken problems, ever. My builds have all gotten better since sharken, because it has forced me to use more variety, creativity, and skill. I have had ONE wall moved since after day one of shark release. Prox is so necessary.

There is a certain excitement that comes with having a wall fall and saving the day, but it's nearly impossible when ogres won't aggro on you and would rather pound your defenses. Plus, the crystal is too fragile to last long enough even against even the smallest pack of mobsters. Not to mention, the DEW and spider interruptions that prevent you from rebuilding.

If Trendy wants to change the dynamics of the game to add excitement, they need to significantly increase the hp of the crystal AND make kiting the ogres easier to give us a fighting chance.

Until then, the Halloween Monster map is still the most fun to play on nightmare since there are no Djinns or Sharken.

i killed my squire now and gav ehis equipment to my apprentice.
fireball + streght drain works much better now.
on aquanos i cant realy bring in the electric aura so far, need some more testing.
with fireball towers i can survive wave 10, but my auras will go down realy fast.
I lold as one Wyvern killed my MM Towers and my Crystal with one strike each xD

Translation:

I don't understand it. I swear so many people only played this game so they could just sit and do nothing. Now that the levels require intelligence it's like... not okay?

It isn't just you making these complaints. So many seem to think a game isn't fun if it means they can't AFK a wave.

I'm sure if you just spend some time on it you'll be able to find ways to keep winning again! :)

I love how dumbasses think that anyone who dislikes Sharken was just afking through all their games before they were added.

normaly im running all the time to repair auras, upgrade BBs, repair walls etc.
Btw: is it normal that the aura range is decreased on NM?
Normal: 14,69
NM: ~10
EDIT: yes it is

normaly im running all the time to repair auras, upgrade BBs, repair walls etc.
Btw: is it normal that the aura range is decreased on NM?
Normal: 14,69
NM: ~10

Yes, aura range is decreased on NM. btw, are you using gas traps? and have you beat Misty mire and moraggo on NM yet?

i think ive done Misty with a friend.
Moraggo is only cleared at Insame i think.
But only campaign, we didnt tried survival at these maps so far.
Im doing Aquanos only to get the flamethrower then^^

With those stats on Insane you should be able to beat Aquanos really easy.
Whenever I have some DU left I set shock beams after the gas trap trigger area. It works like a charm for sharks.

Really from the sounds of the first post, I think he is simply building so close to the crystal that even if he tries to put gas traps out, sharken will likely already be charging anyways. And he did mention that they were out of line of sight for his harpoons by the time they had started charging for the west crystal. This to me just says that you are building way, way too close to the crystal. When your towers are that close, sharken are going to be charging before they ever come around that corner. Nightmare builds have always been better with your defenses set out from the crystal, but this is especially crucial now with sharken. By having your towers further away, most sharken don't even charge because they are targetting a crystal and not a tower and they never get close enough to the crystal to think about winding up. Sharken don't change targets to walls in their way until they get to those walls which they should be dead long before if you are using gas traps or ensnares properly.

You will reduce the number of sharken charging through your gas traps by a huge, huge amount if you start building further away from the crystal. I very rarely even see one wind up anymore because it's rare that a sharken is targeting a tower when it first walks out the door. On the west side I tend to build on the stairs that the enemies will be coming up so the sharken are dying as they come out the door.

From the sounds of it, your entire issue is with tower placement, NOT stats.

im pretty sure this has been stated somewhere in here but just to point out the obvious.... gas traps arent boosted in any OTHER way than activation range by buff beams.. and considering how dangerous sharken are ... I think tower damage should stop their charge ... even aoe damage should do someting

Translation:

If sharken aren't a problem for you then you can AFK if they are a problem then you lose. The fun middle-ground that you suggest we play no longer exists. I tried making builds to specifically deal with sharken and they worked quite well till wave 20+ but at that point I get steamrolled because I don't have 2k tower stats and the sharken are able to knock my walls out of place before they can be killed. After many frustrating games like that I decided that I must have been doing something wrong to deal with sharken so I went to the guides section and found that most worked worse than what I'd done so clearly I need the stats to AFK a level before I am able to complete it :(.

The thing that really rubs salt in the wound though is that after increasing the difficulty nightmare with sharken there was no bump in the quality of the drops to compensate so where just prior to sharken I had finally started to find upgrade gear for the first time in 2 months now the sharken prevent me from getting to the later waves to get to that gear :(. Until something is done with the sharken I will be unable to progress any further, they might be super weak at the moment but at wave 20+ there's still a chance one slips through and ends your game which is very frustrating and annoying, without providing any fun at all.

Sharken are just plain BAD from a design POV, i still don't understand why Trendy is not changing their mechanics.

No matter your stats, sharken will ALWAYS be a "binary" mob, you either never notice they exist, or they charge and you probably lose (especially on highest SV waves when the Ogres are really good at screening for the sharken anyway).

Good monsters from a design pov would be those that add a certain amount of pressure while they are in play, like for ex: Ogre, DEW, Necro, and even Djinn and Spider. Sharken don't add any pressure unless they charge, and then they add too much, not to mention completely ****ing up defense placement, most likely forcing you to sell some 3 star walls.