The more I hear about the summoner...

I agree with haker10201 maybe mana would be better than du,but there will be downsides to it.
Like the health goes down fast the longer you keep them alive,upgrading them,it goes down a little slower ect ect.
So after 3-5 mins or so it will be hard to keep them alive so better off summoning new ones.

Then the sec skill set could be heal one minion,then heal group of minions,use one minion as a bomb.
or something like that.

Using du could be a downfall of this char.

it wont be the downfall of the character. it will just make it so the character cant do anything other than run around app+hunt buffing everything in the map.

[c3;463863']it wont be the downfall of the character. it will just make it so the character cant do anything other than run around app+hunt buffing everything in the map.

Well let's be honest that is a kinda downfall.
That will be some boring game play for the person who uses the summoner then.
Won't be half as bad for ppl who solo though.

I'm pleased with the idea of minions taking up DUs. It's only appropriate to do so. With these commands to give the minions, it's literally anti-sharken.

"Oh, top lane's getting rushed by 5 ogres? alright, better change commands of my minions in left lane to follow me. *reaches top* alright, lemme change their commands again to be aggressive!" Then;

It's mobile towers, literally. You know you always have those moments where you're like "Gee, I sure wish this bouncer could be over there just for the start of the wave..." or "I know this lane get rushed early on, but then the bird swarm comes later... only if i could tell this harpoon to turn 180 degrees in the middle of combat phase!"
This summoner class basically allow you to do exactly that.

What ManaCorporation said. Think of the summons as mobile towers and the use of DU makes perfect sense, the summoner done right could be a 3rd, main builder.

Diablo III open beta only allowed you to get to lvl 13. The beta barely scraped the surface of what the game will be.
Surface may be. But Blood Raven placed fear in my soul years ago, because of her awesome speed and the feeling arrows rain out of the nowhere. The skeleton king just has a lot of HP, never had to worry about healing because of healing orbs. Was just like any other enemy. Oh wait, no, he wasn't. He didn't die after 5 seconds like champs and that stuff, he lasted for around 4-5 minutes. Never ever a boss was that boring within D2.

In general: much much MUCH easier than D2's Normal mode. The only thing that dealt serious damage to my sorc were archers. In any other case I jumped between the enemies and didn't care if they hit me, because there was nothing to worry about ... In D2 you had to be careful while facing champs - in D3b I never even bothered about the colour an enemy had.

It's like playing huntress on easy mode with Djinns, Sharkens and spiders. She is level 1, ungeared and holds back EVERYTHING with one proxy trap, just has to shoot every minute or so to avoid spiders/Djinns/Sharkens. After that comes a boss, doing nearly no damage, you just have to shoot for 5 minutes until he is dead.

I'd rank the difficulty of Normal mode even lower than the difficulty within Numen - Contest of Heroes. And that one I only played (and bought) to chill without any chance to die.

But then again ... the beta changed my mind from 'not buying it' to 'buying it for 10€' - the 'Diablo feeling' is still there.

[/OT]

I'm really excited about the summoner so far, he sound pretty interesting - something completely different :)

we only just get enough du now for our builds,some maps could do with a little more imo.
Now if the summoner stealing du for his minions,then that's going to cause probs for ppl online as we all know public games are not that friendly.
I don't think, he is 'stealing' points - changing setup to add new things in isn't stealing. Stealing would mean you are FORCED to put his minions into a setup. But I do understand the general feeling - often I'm thinking: 'meh, a few more DU - and I could try out a whole bunch of other builds'.

In general I'd like to see an 'Endless' map in the future. A map on which DU increase with every wave but also does number and difficulty of enemies. A map without a wave limit. A map on which every hero's ability is needed. But I'm fully aware there are many problems (especially with saving - choose wave would make those mode obsolte, I think).

I don't think, he is 'stealing' points - changing setup to add new things in isn't stealing. Stealing would mean you are FORCED to put his minions into a setup. But I do understand the general feeling - often I'm thinking: 'meh, a few more DU - and I could try out a whole bunch of other builds'.

I don't mean stealing du if you use him in your builds,i mean by players joining the map,and start summoning the minions because they think the minions will protect them.
then it will be taking away the du you need to complete your build.
So you end up kicking them or put up with it.
or the minions are useless and not as good as ppl thought they would be,so wasted du using them/

but like i said it's early days yet,but the way this game is heading,i don't have much faith in this char tbh.

I don't mean stealing du if you use him in your builds,i mean by players joining the map,and start summoning the minions because they think the minions will protect them.
or the minions are useless and not as good as ppl thought they would be,so wasted du using them/

How is this any different then what is possible now? ATM anybody can just join your game and start throwing down useless towers (or should I say throwing down towers in useless places.)

but like i said it's early days yet,but the way this game is heading,i don't have much faith in this char tbh.

Then why are you still playing?

and start summoning the minions because they think the minions will protect them.
Ok - of course that's a problem. But these players would act in a similar (not identical, of course) way with every other new class. Either they are willing to learn or they are a problem with any class on any map (but I agree, personal bodyguards worsen their behaviour). But well - that's not the problem of the summoner over all, but of these people.

That's the thing with a builder hero. Can't really use him if you don't want to build. Unless you'd build him around the ability to have two pets, ofcourse. Might be viable for nightmare mode.

[QUOTE]or the minions are useless and not as good as ppl thought they would be,so wasted du using them/

but like i said it's early days yet,but the way this game is heading,i don't have much faith in this char tbh.[/QUOTE]

That's a balance issue. I doubt Trendy will let their new hero go underpowered for more than two weeks.

Then why are you still playing?

Compared to how much i used to play.
nowadays i play less and less.

if dd gets any worst after shards dlc 4 comes out,i will prob move on to find something better.
hopefully gw 2 will be out sooner rather than later.

Also i'm talking about them using the minions as there body guard.
Yes ppl do throw down towers in useless places sometimes,but it wont be half as bad as this summoner spam imo.

btw guys i'm not putting a downer on the class.
Just looking at ways ppl will abuse it for us.

Considering his summons can be told to hold position as well as be buffed by buff beams, they can all act like towers themselves. Although, the only ones I could see being useful like that are Ogres (would serve as a wall as well), and maybe mages/warriors, but I think an actual tower would do the job better than either of those. Archers would just be a vastly inferior harpoon, orcs would be a waste of the buff beams space, and spiders are probably gonna be a terrible ensnare aura with their webs.

Another perk to the summons is if a sharken pushes em, you can just reposition them. This would only really be relevant to a buffed ogre-wall though.

I wonder if guardians will work on the summons. If so, squire guardian may shine quite bright for a summoner when mobile on the field.

In general: much much MUCH easier than D2's Normal mode. The only thing that dealt serious damage to my sorc were archers. In any other case I jumped between the enemies and didn't care if they hit me, because there was nothing to worry about ... In D2 you had to be careful while facing champs - in D3b I never even bothered about the colour an enemy had.

You do realize they are doubling the normal difficulty for retail?

Right off the bat summoner will be junk. He has no weapons and the only way he can do damage is with pets that take du to spawn.

They need to make his pets not take du, or give him some sort of weapon to attack with otherwise he will be useless imo.

Right off the bat summoner will be junk. He has no weapons and the only way he can do damage is with pets that take du to spawn.

They need to make his pets not take du, or give him some sort of weapon to attack with otherwise he will be useless imo.

The Summoner can equip two pets. They can also summon creeps. Think you are a little confused.

The Summoner can equip two pets. They can also summon creeps. Think you are a little confused.

This, 1000x this. If anything Summoner is gonna be OP.

I'm wondering what kind of effect he'll have on assault missions. Being able to use him to summon a small army early in the mission, then have that army go and destroy the crystals could do much to save time, except for lack of ability to control them through traps. But maybe that's where a summoned DEW would come in handy, to jump to otherwise unreachable places and attack from behind... I can't imagine they'd completely lock him out of assault/PVP for lack of his pets attacking, or just locking out of assault because he can't summon.

I'm wondering what kind of effect he'll have on assault missions. Being able to use him to summon a small army early in the mission, then have that army go and destroy the crystals could do much to save time, except for lack of ability to control them through traps. But maybe that's where a summoned DEW would come in handy, to jump to otherwise unreachable places and attack from behind... I can't imagine they'd completely lock him out of assault/PVP for lack of his pets attacking, or just locking out of assault because he can't summon.

his summons are basically his towers. and no towers in assault so he wouldn't be able to summon probably.

I was indeed confused. Thought it was meaning that he would be able to summon up to 2 things at once, not have 2 pets. It should have been worded "he can equip two pets" not "he can summon two pets". Having a second pet makes up for not having a weapon i suppose.