Pros/Cons of Seahorse vs Monkey

Hey everyone, so I'm trying to decide on a dps pet. Problem is I can't decide between a monkey or a seahorse. I'm currently using a laser robot, and to be honest it seems pretty good. But I've been reading around and a lot of people have been saying that the monkey/seahorse are probably the best dps pets right now. So I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which one is preferred or why monkey might be better, vice versa. Opinions that can weigh out the pros and cons of each and give an overall opinion on which is better would be very helpful! Thanks in advance! :)

seahorses generally have better stats generally, fire more projectiles, fire faster.

Monkeys have better range, better damage, heal and do generic damage where seahorse does poison.

seahorses generally have better stats generally, fire more projectiles, fire faster.

Monkeys have better range, better damage, heal and do generic damage where seahorse does poison.

To my understanding, poison resistance is pretty rare so that shouldn't be a problem? Neither pet pierces like the laser robot right?

The problem is this: poison is also the one immunity that lets enemys speed through slows, so your pet will be completly useless in guarding crystals vs air. Standard anti air defense consists of some sort of damage + a slow around the crystal so the tower gets enough time to shoot them. Poison immune enemys however get through at normal speed so you need some extra protection (read: you) at the crystal and if your pet also deals poison damage your pretty much screwed.

As far as fighting the Kraken goes, I much prefer the seahorse, I'm a blocking squire in this situation. Even in a buff beamed decent healing aura, if I get nicked, my monkey just ends up shooting me for 1-4 minutes until I'm finally back to full health, and then refocuses on the kraken. I can't be bothered for unreliability in that regard.

Overall, pros and cons as people say...

Seahorse pros: Easier to get, insane stats, more projectiles, faster firing rate, awesome shotgun pet, absolutely insane dps when blood raged/hero boosted.

Seahorse cons: His aiming pattern is really unreliable and it seems after a certain short distance, despite what shows on the screen, his blobs won't do damage or register at all even if it hits something. Also, poison damage.

Monkey pros: Huge generic damage, accurate, AOE (seems to be like a fireball tower), can use the banana rifle on his back for farther ranges. Heals too! Cosmetic pro - first time I saw one, I laughed for about 5 minutes straight.

Monkey cons: Hard to get, even harder to get a good one/find a good one for sale, may heal you when you don't need him to and would rather he fight. Slow firing rate also.

As far as i can tell he has splash up close and the snipe banana long range is single target or possibly smaller aoe? one of the two i think.

I really do like the laser robot pet, are either one similar to it? I was leaning towards getting a monkey because it heals and I thought that might be useful. I don't like the fact that the monkey doesn't have a long ranged pierce/aoe attack though, which is why I'm considering the seahorse. The 1 negative point of the seahorse for me right now is the poison damage.

I use a laser robot, too. I really wish it didn't have a damage penalty, I love using it.

I'm probably going to switch to the monkey, though. I've heard it has pierce with the rifle, but it acts like it has ethereal projectiles so it shoots the walls sometimes. It's also pretty damn hard to get a hold of yourself.

Elemental Damage is lame, but it is good to have more than one pet, Seahorse will easily annihilate any boss while the monkey would be better for general play, IMO.

Well I have both pets - Monkey and Seahorse
Seahorse - When upgraded, the 6 Total projectiles produce Huge DPS, and when Hero Boosted or Blood Raged, Absolute INSANE amounts of damage is produced, but it only does Poison Damage and it has shorter range than the monkey

Monkey - Upgrades at 150 each upgrade, so can produce huge damage per shot, and they also have a small Area of Effect, and it heals as well, it also has huge range as well, but it only has 1 projectile and it heals you when you have less than 50% health, which could be an issue if you want it for purely DPS

Hope this helps you out

So when the monkey heals you, does it not attack the spawns? What I'm getting from reading these is that it's useful to have both.

I got a trans seahorse on insane, can you get a trans monkey on insane too?

I only did Krak Jungle once and got a crappy 60 monkey on Insane. Do monkeys drop with the same stats as seahorses do on Insane? Or do I need to do Nightmare?

*giggles...you said Krak Jungle....*giggle

I hope monkeys do, I've been putting it off because solo nm survival on that map is rough. Add me if you want! jemmajule