About the HD television in the "secret room".

I've always wondered, why does channel 2 cause my fps to drop horribly? It gets worse the closer you are to it, and is at its worst when looking directly at it.

I've always wondered, why does channel 2 cause my fps to drop horribly? It gets worse the closer you are to it, and is at its worst when looking directly at it.

Because it's showing the forge in the background? A lot of players who get random FPS drops in the tavern usually narrow it down to looking at the forge. If this is the case you should check to make sure you have the latest graphic drivers as that usually is the fix for low FPS when looking at the forge.

The reason is that channel 2 shows the entire room rather than just the area in front of the bar. So basically the game is rendering the tavern twice. My graphics card is high end and it still can't handle the fps drop.

Also note it's only when you're looking at the TV. Leave the room and fps returns to normal. Personally I think channel 2 should be removed, I'd be surprised if anyone has a computer that can render it at normal fps.

No issues when looking at the forge at all. A glance at the relevant hardware components here...

Win7 64 bit Pro (derp, software, still worth mentioning that I don't run an ancient OS or something, haha)
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 6x3,2GHz
2x AMD Radeon HD 6870 in crossfire (with the latest drivers of course, checking daily)
8 GB DDR3 RAM

You can probably guess that it's unlikely that this is because of my computer. It runs pretty much everything I can think of smoothly, except for DD in this case, and the portal gun before it got patched caused some minor problems.