End game question for a noob

Me, my wife, and my friend have been going through the game together. We're 70-72ish, countess/apprentice, huntress/ev, and monk/barb. We've remained largely insulated from the community, so we're probably pretty noobish, and I was hoping I could get some more experienced opinions.

Basically, we've been rolling defense specced apprentice/EV/monk, and dmg specced countess/huntress/barbarian. My friend just got the barbarian from 1-70 the other night, and now, we are all thinking about rolling barbarians to help do nightmare. Is this a mistake? Is there some purpose to dmg specced countesses and huntresses? I mean, it just seems like the barbarian is infinitely more survivable than the huntress, and does infintely more dmg than the countess. What is the point of other classes in combat? I'm really not trying to cry, I am hoping that there are advantages to these other classes my noob brain is not finding.

Hmm... i would have expected some sort of reply by this point. Are Countesses/Huntressess/EV's just that useless??? Help!

Every class has its place... My 75 Barbarian failed time and time again in the Zippy Terror Challenge on Nightmare... but my 71 Ranger had absolutely no issues.

Barbarians have great survivability, but are not really suited for many challenges. Every class has its ups and its downs. It usefulness's and its uselessness's. You just need to figure out what works and what doesn't.

I was waiting hoping someone with more credentials would reply.

From my personal understanding/experience at the moment a squire/countess builder is a must have for end game. My preferred(my opinion only, not fact) 3 man end game team would be an active builder Squire/Countess with a good blocking weapon, a Tower HP EV, and 2 active DPS EV. Good to haves:: Aura Monk, Tower Huntress/Hunter, DPS Countess for odds and ends(looking at you Assualt). An optional alternative would be a DPS Mage. I prefer EV over Mage for the extra HP and the extra item slot for a stat stick.

My group does not use a Barbarian for end game DPS(we might if someone other than the designated builder had a geared/leveled one).

I believe the trick to breaking into NM is completely rethinking strategies and doing things a bit differently to try and win. If your towers can handle killing everything but don't have enough HP try kiting the enemies or blocking with your Squire/Countess while the towers and others DPS.

If you would like some help, feel free to add me on Steam, same name as here.

I am not an elite player and the above is my opinions and is based solely on my play time and research.

In the beginning of the game, Apprentices can be useful for up to insane. Still, a squire is MUCH easier, with more durable walls and stronger towers.

Late game, a squire is the essential builder. In order, the most important, in my opinion, is Squire-builder ---> Huntress-Traps ---> Monk-Auras ---> Apprentice-Any loose wends, 1DU walls, AoE towers -----> Or somewhere in there a DPS character is always good to have.

Then I'd get a genie or guardian. gear priority also follows that order, but I got my DPS gear after my builder.

Also, IF you have an EV, I would get it some decent wall health after your builder gets some gear. An EV can possibly help more than a trapper or aura monk.

For a DPS character, I personally like Huntress/Ranger or Countess. Get decent hero Health and Damage, and maybe some points in your abilities.

Hope I helped :)

I was waiting hoping someone with more credentials would reply.

You chose not to reply at first and then choose to insult the person who does? You don't even know me or anything about me.

While its nice that you took the time to explain things to him your insults are unwelcome.

your insults are unwelcome.
Ugh. You're so vain, you probably think that post was about you.. (with apologies to Carly Simon). He posted 5 mins after and was probably still writing when you hit send. Whatever.

Back to the point at hand, instead of fragile egos..
Barbarians are good and all, but at early nightmare (below 1000 tower damage), you're better off keeping your builder active for the 30% damage buff, even if it costs you a few points to keep resists high. Aura Monk and Trapper won't likely ever be active, so don't worry about their resists.

I just completed survival on NM to 25 on all maps except hall of court and ramparts (didn't have time for those yet) using monk, trapper, EV and a couple of mage towers. And monk DPS during combat. No squire towers in sight. But, ultimately never a bad idea to have one of each geared up for towers.
As for DPS, pretty much any class will do. On all gear, first upgrade resists. Generic to 41% on each piece with the set bonus. Below 1000 hero health, you might want to avoid monk and hunter as DPS, simply because their HP is quite low. Squire/Countess/Barb are a little more survivable. Ultimately it's about personal preference. I like the speed of the countess, combined with her high defense boost, and group buff early on. The downside is no circular slice, but joust can used to push troublesome ogres off many maps. Again, having a full stable, while possibly impractical, is always nice. But find what works for you. There's no class that can't be DPS - just different approaches depending on what you choose.

Totally agree with zingfharm. Any character can be DPS and be good at it. For example:

Squire has blood rage, which gives you a huge increase in damage.
Monk has Hero boost, which also gives a rather substantial damage increase.
Apprentice has mana bomb, which is pretty much devastating to everything in a pretty huge radius.
Huntress has piercing shot, which is equally as devastating to all enemies in a straight line.
Barbarian has stances, which give him a little more flexibility as a DPS hero.

I'd try out each class and see which abilities you like the most. Even though my personal preference is the Barbarian, having monk DPS chars are a godsend, as their hero boost is amazing to the team.

Problem with Barbarian is he's a mana sink. He's great if you've already got everything upgraded and all that, but that's usually only the end of survival waves.

I think it all boils down to personal preference. Find a character and play it the way that works for you. The difference between countess and squire is not much to most people, but was HUGE to me. To the point that I leveled a squire and deleted my countess. I like the dps and abilities better.

Ugh. You're so vain, you probably think that post was about you.. (with apologies to Carly Simon). He posted 5 mins after and was probably still writing when you hit send. Whatever.

I had not noticed that. You sir are probably right.

I personally use EV as my DPS character. He has about 2000 Hero Hit Points stat and 2400 Hero Attack. I forget exactly but has about 240,000 hit points in Nightmare. He also has 90 physical resist and very high stats in other resists so he can take a lot of hits. To give you an example, I was helping a friend kill the dragon on summit last night and I could just stand toe to mouth of the dragon shooting him the whole time he is breathing fire and shooting me with fire balls and others were beating on me from behind.. Didn't really phase me at all, didn't even have to heal at all until I got webbed, I think being webbed makes you take a lot more damage.

I do have a barbarian level 78 in full trans gear but I don't even play with him and haven't played with him much.. I just leveled him and put gear on him so I can't speak much about barbarian. I just enjoy my EV more than playing the barb at moment.

You chose not to reply at first and then choose to insult the person who does? You don't even know me or anything about me.

While its nice that you took the time to explain things to him your insults are unwelcome.

My bad, didn't mean any insult. I saw a response to the OP, turns out it was a bump, so I decided to respond. I didn't see your post until I was done. Also, even if I had seen your post, I would have responded the same way. It was a qualification on my ability to post and inform not anyone elses.