Sign in to follow this  
Mythos

3.31 Apprentice HP Increase by 27%

* 7.31 Apprentice HP Increase by 27% in order to bring the apprentice hp more in line with the hunter and increase nightmare survivalbility and viability.

Basically all thats missing from the patch notes! :-p

Seriously though for some unknown reason the apprentice has about 30% less hp then all other classes.

P.s. don't forget to fix deadly strike tower so its useful.

lolwut? Next patch is 7.31....

Figured this was a fake note though. Apprentice HP is fine.

DST needs a little love but is useful enough in the right places. Mostly it just needs some target priority options.

It really isn't fine while progressing.. Maybe once you get 1000 to all stats. My buddies hunter with equal stats has about 60k hp vs my 40k.. That 20k difference is huge and makes the difference between being one shot and not.

Your words are wasted arguing with this one Mythos. Nikodareus is the all-powerful all-knowing almost-always-wrong dungeon defenders expert.

Fixed that for you ;)

It's weird.. Half the community thinks the apprentice is broken and the other half ( from my impression) with elite gear seems to think its fine.

You put enough hp stats and amAzing gear on any character it will seem "fine". The issue people don't seem to understand is while progressing its not "fine". It's a real issue that has haunted apprentice since launch. Hp needs an increase and brought on par with other male range. Especially since the apprentice doesn't have an excape ability like invisible. Apprentice has even lower hp then the huntress.

Isn't 60k still low enough to get 1-shot in late survival? I have just shy of 20k HP on my Adept and I don't usually get 1-shot until about wave 20. My inability to get past wave 20 (23 is my record on Misty) has more to do with the integrity of my defenses and how quickly I can save them than me dying. Yes, I do hardcore.

Invisible is useless against the only unit that is genuinely dangerous (DEW), everything else can be avoided if you're paying attention. Real survival abilities are things like block, Turtle Stance, and Decoy. Adding KB to Mana/Purity Bomb that actually works on all units could be interesting, but the wind-up time is too long to save you.

Isn't 60k still low enough to get 1-shot in late survival? I have just shy of 20k HP on my Adept and I don't usually get 1-shot until about wave 20. My inability to get past wave 20 (23 is my record on Misty) has more to do with the integrity of my defenses and how quickly I can save them than me dying. Yes, I do hardcore.

Invisible is useless against the only unit that is genuinely dangerous (DEW), everything else can be avoided if you're paying attention. Real survival abilities are things like block, Turtle Stance, and Decoy. Adding KB to Mana/Purity Bomb that actually works on all units could be interesting, but the wind-up time is too long to save you.

Depends.. On some levels like mistmire the boss can one shot me while he lives long enough to get away.

I disagree about invis.. Super useful for avoiding spiders and repairing towers and dodging summoners. Helps with dpsing orgres too. I think people forget how useful an ability is until they switch characters.

Yes, apprentice needs enough HP to not get one-shotted by ninjas on later waves of survival. It's pointless how fast he can repair, if he dies while repairing or while gathering mana. On top the hp increase, overcharge should signficantly increase hero speed, giving him a nice niche as the quickie repair expert. Then, he'll get rarely used instead of never during nightmare combat.

Did the hp buff get removed?
The original poster wanted to express that from his point of view that patch note is missing - it never was an official note.

Apprentice should never get hp boost exclusively! If doing so then monks and evies and huntresses should get same % buff too. Countess and Squire has enough hp as they do so it's ok.
Another reason for not giving App hp boost is his damage, glasscannon should be glasscannon. Would give here example of what is unbuffed mages damage but I want to skip hearing "hacker".
One more reason for not giving hp buff to app is that he got win in poll about new costume by cheating and he should suffer HP DEBUFF for me, just to make him useless as he really is...

Basically only time when I like mages is when I play one myself and I one shot kill things around -.- other than that he sucks no matter who controls him.

Apprentice should never get hp boost exclusively! If doing so then monks and evies and huntresses should get same % buff too. Countess and Squire has enough hp as they do so it's ok.
Another reason for not giving App hp boost is his damage, glasscannon should be glasscannon. Would give here example of what is unbuffed mages damage but I want to skip hearing "hacker".
One more reason for not giving hp buff to app is that he got win in poll about new costume by cheating and he should suffer HP DEBUFF for me, just to make him useless as he really is...

Basically only time when I like mages is when I play one myself and I one shot kill things around -.- other than that he sucks no matter who controls him.

I really should put you on ignore, you say the dumbest things sometimes. Do you know what a "glass cannon" is? It is used to describe an exceptionally powerful class that is balanced (or partially balanced) by their defensive shortcomings (ie. they die when something looks at them funny). Apprentice only fits the "glass" part, not the "cannon" part. If they were a true glass cannon, you'd be seeing more Apprentice towers than you do Harpoons. At best, Apprentice towers are on par with Squire towers but lack their survivability.

Another reason for not giving App hp boost is his damage, glasscannon should be glasscannon.

Um, my Archer and EVE out dps my Apprentice with better hero abilities. So the glasscannon reference is not valid. unless you want to state that their towers are OP which they are not either. So hurrah for the undocumented buff, with accompanying undocumented nerfs. :P

I also feel like the "glass" part is right in defining apprentice but not the cannon.. There is a reason no one seems to play apprentice late game. So many other heroes excell better at dealing damage and have better survivalbility.

What about overcharge reducing damage taken by 20-50% while active? Would that be overpowered? Alternatively it could act as a mana shield that uses mana in exchange for damage reduction.

I feel like you can't have overcharge active all the time so I would still suggest a flat hp buff over it.

I also feel like the "glass" part is right in defining apprentice but not the cannon.. There is a reason no one seems to play apprentice late game. So many other heroes excell better at dealing damage and have better survivalbility.

What about overcharge reducing damage taken by 20-50% while active? Would that be overpowered? Alternatively it could act as a mana shield that uses mana in exchange for damage reduction.

I feel like you can't have overcharge active all the time so I would still suggest a flat hp buff over it.
Basically. In order to do decent damage the apprentice has to be right next to the target, and you shouldn't do that unless you've already got your funeral planned. Even when he's on the move, a single stray fireball is often enough to splatter him.

The apprentice could do 100 million theoretical dps and it would still not be viable if you died at the start of the wave. 100m dps doesn't help you dead.. You need to be able to apply the damage.

Overcharged Mana Bomb... Overcharged Heal.... your app got hit once and lost half of his health? No problem. Overcharged Heal that instantly back to full! Getting hot out there in the mobs? Overcharged Mana Bomb fixes that.

Overcharged Mana Bomb... Overcharged Heal.... your app got hit once and lost half of his health? No problem. Overcharged Heal that instantly back to full! Getting hot out there in the mobs? Overcharged Mana Bomb fixes that.

Couple flaws to this..

1) both require mana and although it helps some.. It's not comparable to other classes abilities that help with survivability. Yes you can heal faster and it 'can' help.

2) I've died during the casting animation of man bomb countless times. Mana bomb doesn't do enough damage against enemies that matter like dark elf warriors on higher waves... Plus they kill you during the long animation

3) healing doesn't help you if your getting one shot. Period. If mob hits for 50k and apprentice has only 40k but hunter has 60k hp . Who has the advantage? How does heal help in this situation?

Edit** I think mana bomb is a separate issue but it kind of ties into the apprentice problem as a whole. I think it either needs immunity while casting or... I'd prefer if you could cast it while moving and jumping.. That change alone would breathe a lot of life into it.

So I put my gear from my apprentice onto my series ev.. Mainly because they both do the exact same damage. Even though the series ev has the same damage output and is female, she still has significantly more hp.

Apprentice - 5.8k hp
Series ev - 10k hp ~ 75% more hp
Bounty Hunter - 13.8k hp ~115% more hp

This is with ~ 770 in hp stats.

Almost double the hp?!? What is trendy reasoning behind this huge discrepancy? It's over double with the male counterpart. Can I Atleast get a response from someone at trendy on their reasoning if they refuse to fix this?

As much as I love playing my apprentice I think I will have to switch over to series ev until this gets resolved.