Playing with several characters allowed?

I've seen alot of people recently playing up to 4 characters at the same time from the same account using some mod or something, which sounds like a nice idea to level when soloing glitter.

But nobody i've spoken to knows if it's actually something you can get banned for or not, so i thought I would ask here. As it doesn't seem worth getting banned for simply leveling abit faster.

So anybody know?

They weren't using any controllers, they used keybord and swapped between characters with f1-f4 from what I was told.

No you cant get banned, its a feature of the game that you can splittscreen with yourself.

All you need is 1-3 xbox-controllers attached to your pc and you can play splittscreen with 4 chars.

But since xbox-controllers are expensive most people use general controllers and some programm that makes the game think its a xbox-controller. Or, like in my case, emulate 3 controllers with the keyboard, this does have the disadvantage that you cant move the additional heros around, but if you level on insane it doesnt matter anyways and if your out for additional survival pets its enough if you get the chars in during wave 14 so you dont need to move them around either.

Edit: regarding your concerns, how would the game (or steam) know the diffrence between a real controller and an emulated one?
The method i used required some changes to a .dll but if steam doesnt have that specific .dll on the blacklist nothing is going to happen. And im doing this since december so no delayed bans incoming.

Can't speak for Trendy exactly, but it still seems that it isn't really considered a bad thing. I think everyone would prefer being able to take friends into games, or keeping active groups playing, but when you can't get a great group, using your additional characters is just fine in any way that doesn't use a game abuse.

Having the extra characters adds mobs, and you aren't likely able to really control more then one character at a time, so it is sometimes a bit of added challenge. But if you can pull it off then it is just fine.

I personally play using 2 characters due to the fact when my Farming buddies are offline I can just log in my Tower Apprentice. I really like that option in the game and I am sure Trendy allows this or else they would have taken it off long ago. :D