2 pages of ads before we can even play the game

And while we're at it (everyone in the thread seems to gloss over this part), allow us to hide the maps that we do not own, when making a selection in Tavern. I don't own the Warping Challenge Pack or UMF, nor am I likely to any time soon. So why do I need to go through these maps when trying to select content I actually can play?

How about making a new button on the main menu linking to the patch notes and /or DLC to purchase, and removing those extra screens altogether?

And I agree with the quoted part, it gets a bit excessive to see all those maps that are, in fact, unavailable to play.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I logged in tonight and only got one screen instead of two! I thought Trendy had disabled one. Later, though, I realized I accidentally signed in to Open :(

Principal??? No one says anything about the 10,000 other advertisements you see but when a dev advertises content to expand the game you own its now a principal thing???

I could fully understand if they were advertising completely unrelated content that doesn't apply to the game but wow guys, you're a bunch of itchy moaners...

@OP what a professional Moderator man

oh how i miss you as a mod. those were the good old days.
p.s. it never even crossed my mind as something to complain about. hit a twice and its done.

Caerulean, patch notes are fine, what we have now is little more than spam. These ads are useful once, the very first time we get new content, and for new players who may be overwhelmed by the options. After that, they become a hindrance and cause of further agitation. Give us the option to hide these pages!

And while we're at it (everyone in the thread seems to gloss over this part), allow us to hide the maps that we do not own, when making a selection in Tavern. I don't own the Warping Challenge Pack or UMF, nor am I likely to any time soon. So why do I need to go through these maps when trying to select content I actually can play?

i have to admit a hide option would be nice.

Something I realize about the people who are defending these 2 annoying pages, they don't realize people have different personalities to themselves and hope that everyone else should see it the same way?

I am not going to write a big block about why I hate these 2 pages, I will just say that I hate reading these things when I've already bought them, and this Is a paid game, maybe some people are too used to Facebook and all the free mmorpgs out there with the reckless nuclear bombardment of spams that we have to endure if it really was that good and free- that they no longer care about those 2 pages. but fact is there are ALOT of people who are annoyed now.

And there is a simple solution to this - query.

Just add a freaking query command that checks each user's installed dlc contents, and only show the ones we don't own.

If they can't write it themselves then I'm sure there are more then a few capable coders in the community who would happily do it if they pay us! :0

Something I realize about the people who are defending these 2 annoying pages, they don't realize people have different personalities to themselves and hope that everyone else should see it the same way?

I am not going to write a big block about why I hate these 2 pages, I will just say that I hate reading these things when I've already bought them, and this Is a paid game, maybe some people are too used to Facebook and all the free mmorpgs out there with the reckless nuclear bombardment of spams that we have to endure if it really was that good and free- that they no longer care about those 2 pages. but fact is there are ALOT of people who are annoyed now.

And there is a simple solution to this - query.

Just add a freaking query command that checks each user's installed dlc contents, and only show the ones we don't own.

If they can't write it themselves then I'm sure there are more then a few capable coders in the community who would happily do it if they pay us! :0

Well you know what they say about people that make assumptions.

Whilst I don't care if they remove ads or not, I think people are making too big a deal out of it. That's just me though.

Are you serious? Glad to know you'e not the only one that's getting irrate at the fact that the developers of a PAID game have decided to make it into a giant SPAM fest before you're ever allowed to select which character you want to play in?

It was all good before, when the DLC was hidden in the menus and if you didn't own a particular map pack or character, there was a link to get it. Now I feel like TE is literally FORCING their damn DLC packs down my throat any time I wish to play their little game.

Freemium gaming and micro-transactions might very well be the death of gaming.. I dont know enough to say for sure, but I do know as a customer they piss me the **** off. and yeah, that's a pejorative i used there, deal.

I really hope the devs stand up and take notice, and more people make their voice be heard on this issue if it pisses them off too. STOP SPAMMING THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALREADY PAID YOU MONEY!

Just want to point out that whilst you paid for the game, you didn't pay to play it online, or even specifically, on Trendynet's servers and via their online framework.

There are plenty of games with ads on specific servers, developer and player servers alike.

You may not like the ads, and I count myself as someone who finds them a bit intrusive, but waving around your receipt isn't the best position to argue from in this case.

If you just buy all the DLCs the ads won't bother you. ;)

Actually I hate ads. I really really hate ads and the insidious way advertisers operate. I am by no means a sheep who accepts what is put in front of him. Having said that..
The ads on DDef don't bother me a bit. It's a couple of fast clicks and I am playing. The ads themselves are straightforward, simple, and appropriately placed.
How many of you go around wearing Nike's swoosh or a TShirt with an icon? Do you know how hard it is to find a cap withotu a logo on it these days? :) How many classic Christmas songs now bring up images of one retailer or another? I really hate ads, you have no idea.

So, said in a defending Brittany Spears tone, "Just leave Trendy ALONE!"
(on this one)

Just want to point out that whilst you paid for the game, you didn't pay to play it online, or even specifically, on Trendynet's servers and via their online framework.
They don't have servers, and they use steam for their online framework. At least try and construct a cogent argument.

[QUOTE]If you just buy all the DLCs the ads won't bother you.
[/QUOTE]I've got them all.
I still see a splash screen telling me I can 'get' Talay, the summoner, and shards part 3.

Down one side it says "news updates". Down the other "game updates".
The news updates are actually a tiny thin bar at the bottom full of nebulous hand waving - "stuff may be coming soon".
The rest is pointless, since I already own it.

Every time a new patch is release, there should be a screen with the patch notes listed on it. Not some link to the patch notes which probably less than 5% of the community click. But a single, dedicated page listing the updates, with a link to the forums to 'discuss'.

The next page can have anything it wants. I don't care. Show me stuff I already own. But let me then dismiss it until the next patch is released. I either want to buy it, or I don't.

If you then want to add a third page which shows the actual DLC I don't own, I'm down with that (in fact, I only bought the last one to get rid of the screen - never used a penny arcade skin, and never planning to). But again, let me dismiss that until the next patch.

This stuff shouldn't be difficult, and not pissing off your customers should be top of mind. It's possible to drive DLC down our throats, while also not making us hate logging on.

They don't have servers, and they use steam for their online framework. At least try and construct a cogent argument.

FYI-From what I've read, TrendyNet is hosted on Microsoft's Azure "cloud" platform. I'm sure the cost to Trendy for that is non-0.

I've got them all.
I still see a splash screen telling me I can 'get' Talay, the summoner, and shards part 3.

Down one side it says "news updates". Down the other "game updates".
The news updates are actually a tiny thin bar at the bottom full of nebulous hand waving - "stuff may be coming soon".
The rest is pointless, since I already own it.

That's the first screen. The second screen appears if there's at least one thing you don't have. For me, it shows just the Penny Arcade costumes.

Darn it zing, you beat me to it

I don't know you, but I definitely have read many of your posts and I can't say that I have found one with which I disagree.

Dani, you're right. We don't pay to play it online, BUT WE DO HOST IT.

Now, I bought 4 copies of the game and 4 complete sets of DLC so that my family could play together wherever we are(excluding Penny Arcade) and I HOST the game.

At what point have I spent enough to have a voice in how that is handled? Anything that adds to the Dungeon Defenders experience, I purchase---TIMES 4. The Penny Arcade skins added nothing in my opinion (please don't throw rocks at me for voicing it. I am sure some people wanted the Penny Arcade skins) and no amount of plastering it on my screen will change that.

This game is the first game in a reallllyyy long time to get me excited and I am a die-hard fan. One that waits to be dazzled as opposed to telling the devs how they should make it. When I voice suggestions, they are just that, suggestions. Never "OMG! This is so broken! They need to fix this!"

Now, even if they cannot remove the ads or remove the ads of the content that you have purchased, can they not at least put the button to close the window closer to the buttons you previously clicked to get there? Keep New DLC on the top page so that even fast clickers see it momentarily. You'd be surprised how many people will go back to investigate when they realize they have clicked through something new. Instead, you have some of your best customers irritated with an aspect of your game. Hell, if nothing else, can we get a function that allows the removal when you recruit a friend? That has to be better value than any single DLC and it breeds the opportunity to sell even more DLC! Seriously, I have bought four copies of the game and four sets of DLC, when have I spent enough to warrant consideration? Does Trendy not realize that I, as well as the rest of you, are the best ads they could ever hope for?

Please don't misunderstand, I do not feel my purchases entitle me to anything other than to play the game. Trendy is selling a product that I am very willing to buy.

I don't know of anyone that continues to play the game because they hate it. I believe quite the opposite. The reason Trendy has such a passionate fan base is that they have a great product and those of us that play, know it.

I guess what I am saying Trendy is "You are preaching to the choir"...I'm already converted, I read this forum, the Dun Def digest, and am usually awaiting the launch of each DLC packet. Seriously, I'm already sold.

If you just buy all the DLCs the ads won't bother you. ;)

Actually I hate ads. I really really hate ads and the insidious way advertisers operate. I am by no means a sheep who accepts what is put in front of him. Having said that..
The ads on DDef don't bother me a bit. It's a couple of fast clicks and I am playing. The ads themselves are straightforward, simple, and appropriately placed.
How many of you go around wearing Nike's swoosh or a TShirt with an icon? Do you know how hard it is to find a cap withotu a logo on it these days? :) How many classic Christmas songs now bring up images of one retailer or another? I really hate ads, you have no idea.

So, said in a defending Brittany Spears tone, "Just leave Trendy ALONE!"
(on this one)

Nice point, but you forget one thing. Those items all serve another purpose. Shirts, hats, shoes, pants, coats, are all clothing. Now, people who buy those, CHOOSE the logo. Hell, even things you probably consider as not having logos still do. Levi's tab on the pocket, Polo logo on the shirt, even your car is a walking (or rolling in this case) advertisement. People have become walking billboards and are totally oblivious to the fact that if we are giving them advertising, WE SHOULD GET PAID, not pay them to do it for them. But I digress, back to the subject at hand.

The Ads could be combined with nearly any of the screens we are already having to click through. Throw it on the initial character selection screen. Throw it on the opening menu. Anywhere, but to make it another couple of screens and to move the button is an annoyance. Not a game breaker, but an annoyance.

Yeah! I hate dem ads trying to sell me game related content!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

FYI-From what I've read, TrendyNet is hosted on Microsoft's Azure "cloud" platform. I'm sure the cost to Trendy for that is non-0.
It sure is. But they're not hosting any games on it. You host on your own computer. They just provide initial authentication and a list of games.
Azure is the most expensive of the cloud platforms (by dint of having to pay for windows licenses on top of everything else). You also pay for having servers, rather than the use of servers. But it's still in the range of $60 per machine per month. And unless they did something really strange, I don't see a need for more than a handful of machines to handle a few thousand simultaneous auth requests, and a return list of current public games. The good thing about the cloud is that you pay on demand, too. So while they were extremely popular, they might have had many more machines, but as demand scales down, they simply take them offline, and pay less.

Yeah! I hate dem ads trying to sell me game related content!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
I don't mind the sale; I mind the fact that it's forced, can't be hidden, and after seeing it a hundred times in the space of a month, becomes little more than spam that I don't even read.