2 pages of ads before we can even play the game

I am for the "Thanks for letting me know now stop bothering me so I can play!" Box.
Very concise summary :) I know that Suggestions Forum doesn't get the same kind of reading as PC Patch Notes. None the less, I maintain the issue.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that space can be better utilized for dynamic content, rather than seeing the same boring ads over and over.

At least give us a check box or something to get rid of it.

I think that space can be better utilized for dynamic content, rather than seeing the same boring ads over and over.

At least give us a check box or something to get rid of it.
This. There are so many better ways, but at this point, I doubt anything will change :(

Yeah, I actually do somewhat like the first page that has new things in an interesting layout, links to the digest, etc. The page of 'Here's all the dlc you didn't buy, what's wrong with you?' Is kinda annoying. At least they made the buttons line up.

This. There are so many better ways, but at this point, I doubt anything will change :(

Did Trendy (as an entity) flat out say, 'no!?'

This is ridiculous. I payed quite a lot for this game and multiple DLC already and what do I see today? Two pages of ads.

I believe Trendy can make a lot of profit from downloadable content. If they can't, agressive ads won't help them for sure. At least annoy other players, which still grow in number.

I agree that you have to go through too many screens to get to playable. And most of them are slowly animated. The ads a the beginning are useful for those not paying attention to these forums, or the steam store... but is there anyway you can put them on the main screen like a banner rather than a popup? Furthermore, is there anyway you can auto-detect what we already have installed... targeted advertising and all that. You have to know it's possible because the game knows what you have and to let you use.

Here is a great idea. Put a rotating billboard of sorts in the Tavern for these ads. It probably wouldn't bother anyone there, and you would see it all the time.

Yes, I no longer see the ads. If they added anything new recently, I'd never know. Because I've had to click through them every time and I don't look at them. I've bought a bunch of the DLC. I know where it is.

Its a valid point but the amount of time it would take trendy to find that sliver of code and remove it, then patch it would be far greater then clicking a few close buttons.

Its a valid point but the amount of time it would take trendy to find that sliver of code and remove it, then patch it would be far greater then clicking a few close buttons.

I completely disagree.

First of all, they only recently added the second page and revamped the first one. Clearly they know exactly where the code is.

Second, think of the number of players and the number of times they start the game. Even if it took a combined 40 hours to program, test, and ship this minor change, the players would easily save more time than it would cost. (40 hours = 144k seconds. Steam says 3600 people have played today. If it takes 2 seconds to close both windows, each of those players only needs to start the game 20 times to exceed 40 collective hours lost. What would that take, 2-3 weeks, tops?)

So, here's an actual suggestion out of the rage/spam that's going in on this thread itself.

Instead of having the menus show up every time the game is loaded, show it only if there's a new dlc, that the gamer has not seen on this menu before. This would not just cut down on spam, but would make more viewers actually look at what's there. Instead of hastily clicking close, by having it show up only during new dlc content, the gamer will be curious, instead of annoyed.

This is a simple solution that should be relatively simple to implement, will solve the problem of "annoying spam", and could possibly even bring more revenue towards your company.

You...click two buttons and play the game which takes all of three seconds, if that. If anything, they could just add an option: "Click to not show again" until new DLC / updates come out.

You...click two buttons and play the game which takes all of three seconds, if that. If anything, they could just add an option: "Click to not show again" until new DLC / updates come out.
This and similar ideas have been suggested multiple times now, and I heartily approve.

Weekend bumpity. There are many ways to deal with the issue. At this point, nobody actually reads the advertisements. I think that bears restating.

Nobody reads the ads. After several dozen times, they just get in the way.

I don't mind a quick ad for new DLC, but I made the decision to not purchase certain DLC... I don't need the reminders constantly popping up that they're available. Yes, there is a Penny Arcade pack. I don't read Penny Arcade. I don't want to play as their characters. I see more Penny Arcade on the freaking loading up of Dungeon Defenders than I do on their official website! It's ridiculous.

Weekend bumpity. There are many ways to deal with the issue. At this point, nobody actually reads the advertisements. I think that bears restating.

Nobody reads the ads. After several dozen times, they just get in the way.

It's rare that people consciously watch ads or commercials and things of that nature—but there's a deep psychological effect to advertising, one that all of the marketing industry isn't oblivious to.

Going to add my support to this. There were already enough screens to click through for them to add another. If they streamline the process involved in actually getting into the game, I'll happily support one unnecessary screen, but as it is, there are far too many unnecessary screens already.

Wow, what a totally petty complaint. Personally, I LOVE the fact that when I start the game I have quick and easy access to the patch notes. A lot of quality of life changes happen pretty frequently and knowing about them is a real blessing since they are tiny and only in the detailed patch notes. Secondly, I hated the previous system, where you had no idea what content went with what dlc so you had no idea which ones you wanted to buy. With the current setup, (the second page of apparent untold horrors) I can quickly check and see if there is anything interesting, and go straight to it. Honestly, this is a good system, and if you want the devs to continue making content, people are going to have to buy dlc, so the "ads" (which, honestly, I don't even really see them as such) are a blessing to the community as a whole.

While we're on the topic of unnecessary screens, how about the private match one?

I am well aware of what a "private match" would be, I do not not need to be asked a second time every time I click on it (which is every single time I play). I have no interest in playing with randoms, I have never done so, and will never do so in the future. I don't need to be prompted every time I create a game. At this point, there's pretty much no one left in the gaming community who doesn't know that a private match would not be viewable by other people, so why are we confirming this choice?

That, plus the 2 ads -- a lot of unnecessary work to start up a game.

I agree with this, the option to not see the ads again until the next new dlc would be very much appreciated by me at least, along with other suggestions made here.

Caerulean, patch notes are fine, what we have now is little more than spam. These ads are useful once, the very first time we get new content, and for new players who may be overwhelmed by the options. After that, they become a hindrance and cause of further agitation. Give us the option to hide these pages!

And while we're at it (everyone in the thread seems to gloss over this part), allow us to hide the maps that we do not own, when making a selection in Tavern. I don't own the Warping Challenge Pack or UMF, nor am I likely to any time soon. So why do I need to go through these maps when trying to select content I actually can play?

Caerulean, patch notes are fine, what we have now is little more than spam. These ads are useful once, the very first time we get new content, and for new players who may be overwhelmed by the options. After that, they become a hindrance and cause of further agitation. Give us the option to hide these pages!

And while we're at it (everyone in the thread seems to gloss over this part), allow us to hide the maps that we do not own, when making a selection in Tavern. I don't own the Warping Challenge Pack or UMF, nor am I likely to any time soon. So why do I need to go through these maps when trying to select content I actually can play?

I own every DLC, and even before I experienced how annoying this is, I supported this thread. After semi-failing to purchase the Talay mines, I got the message that it was "available: New in Etheria" or something, and that's when I realized that these ads are pretty overused.
Seeing that there were new content available in my tavern, I got frustrated that it wasn't out yet, which equals the feeling of not owning a content.

I'm not affected, but I hope Trendy will add this feature for those who are.

Also, the first page is okay by me, because it contains the invaluable patch notes and updates.