Sign in to follow this  
supernovae

Sharks suck

I soloed all campaign survivals on nm without sharken being the slightest issue, you gotta adapt.

I find that hard to believe.

Bull****! your probably a hack, or a Beta tester on defense!

Or maybe he found the perfect way to deal with them? Not everyone who is able to do things you can't is cheating :P

You'd be surprised how much you can do and how far you can get when you stop throwing a tantrum and play the game.

One key to kill sharks is to stun them with a gas trap (before their charge zone), and use either the Inferno Traps/Electric Auras/ Proxy Traps to kill them off while they can't do anything (plus it clears all the general trash). Do this and a shark will never charge your defenses.

I see some people still trying to "Brute Force" the map build. By brute force, I mean using tons of harpoons to kill the monsters before they even get close to the base. Harpoons arnt' the be all towers anymore. Late SV waves you will face off against a bigger group of sharken. Even with the priority tracking, harpoons arn't going to kill the entire group before 1 of them charges.

If you gassed them and used an buffed Electric Aura for example, they would be stunned and take 3.5k+ damage every .15s or so seconds. With a couple hundred thousand hp, thats only 5-15 seconds before they die from the damage, with the entire duration being stunned. Not to mention the general trash would be stunned to and die over time.

I just gas them shortly outside of their windup range, and let my harpoons mow them down. They're not that bad. Use infernos and lightning auras to kill trash mobs in the gas traps so your towers are less distracted by those. the infernos and lit auras will also damage and maybe kill the Sharken.

They've only smashed my crystals twice. Smart placement of towers and usage of multiple classes towers is the best way to deal with them.

The are 2 types of people

1) They like Sharkens because there geared
2) They dont like Sharken because they are not geared an no longer can get geared due to Sharken

The issue is a simple one

Trendy keeps adding new game mechanics that change game play however HAVE NOT improved the quality of items or compensated player with game mechanics to overcome the change in game play.

That's just the thing. The gear isn't the issue. It's the tactics. Sharken don't require any particularly epic gear if you are fighting them right.

2) They dont like Sharken because they are not geared an no longer can get geared due to Sharken

Trendy keeps adding new game mechanics that change game play however HAVE NOT improved the quality of items or compensated player with game mechanics to overcome the change in game play.

How geared are you talking. I don't mind the sharken and Most of my stats dont pass 1200 (I have a 1600 HP Wall builder and my harpoons are at 1400dam/600rate). 1000+ stats can be gotten from the Monster Fests fairly easily. Also some people don't seem to upgrade their gear much either. Getting each piece to level 50 is farily inexpensive once your able to clear any of the Monster Fests. Level 50 on 4 pieces of gear (if tower built) is 260 to a stat.

I still join games where people are using 3 or 4 harpoons for a lane and not using traps/auras and fully expecting the harpoons deal with a lane. Its not just the gear. If your failing by having a sharken charge in, then your "beyond the walls" build needs improvment. Its not about the Almighty Harpoon anymore.

And starter myth's can be found in ANY of the newer maps on Insane Difficulty. From there you can start doing the monster fests to at least wave 13 (wave 13 is generally the problem wave with time) and find plenty of upgrades there to eventually clear the fest.

That's just the thing. The gear isn't the issue. It's the tactics. Sharken don't require any particularly epic gear if you are fighting them right.

This. So much this.

You don't need 2k stats. You need the basic gear for NM, possibly upgraded some, and the knowhow. Gas them, Toss in an Inferno, Maybe a lightning aura, and bam, you're fighting them. No need for incredibly high stats. You're on your way to getting better gear. A proper layout trumps the Sharken. Granted they'll get through every now and then, but it happens. If you have a DPS character, or another player on DPS, then he should be hunting them.

There are 2 types of people, but you've got it wrong.

1) People who learned.
2) People who didn't learn.

If people still need help learning how to deal with Sharken, they should go back to Deeper Well NM and play through the Campaign again until they get it right. The game will teach everyone everything they need to know as long as they are willing to learn. I do understand the frustration some people feel, but if you've played other Strategy games you'd know failure goes hand in hand with success; you learn something every time you lose. Anyway, if people don't like exploring new towers and playing with new setups, this might not be the game for them. It is a strategy game, slapping down Harpoons and letting them do work will only get you so far.

A bigger part of the problem is the guides section. Threads like these are what you get when new elements are introduced and no new guides by the big names are on the board yet. These kinds of threads are made by lazy people who've gotten everything they have by copying builds and not learning from them. So you've got plenty of people who can slap down some towers just like the guides tell them to, but you've only got a handful of people who can actually build.

Plus, they don't spawn with elemental affinity, which means they're always vulnerable to gas traps and ensnare auras.

...is this really true? While playing Aquanos on Insane lately, I set up a wall and 2 harpoons at the end of the corridor at the bottom of the map. I tossed up an ensnare aura and had a buff beam buffing the poons and the aura. I believe the poons were level 3 and the aura was starred. The buff beam had 2 upgrades. Yet despite all these and despite my stats being ~1000 for tower strength and attack for squire (active) and also ~1000 for my Monk (not active), a Sharken somehow plowed through the aura, all the way to the end of the corridor, pushing the wall out of the way.

I have absolutely no idea how that could have happened if it wasn't a freak accident with a posion-immune Sharken. That hallway is NOT big OR long, and 2 harpoons pretty much fills up the width of it. ever since, I've put up a Strength Drain there as well and the problem hasn't occurred again. (Though I'm not saying that's conclusive in the least.) Can a dev confirm that Sharken cannot be poison-immune?

Either way, I'm so-so on the Sharken myself. They're typically not a huge problem, but they do screw up my walls now and then, requiring really careful guard of an area until the end of the wave.

Lies. about the gear.
It's far easer to do a map with top gear at wave 15+ than it is with far less gear,even with gas traps planted.if your not putting out the dmg you will get owned by the sharks anyway.
And to do good dmg you need great gear and have it all lvled up.

Simple fact.

Sharks may get through every once in a while just like djinns may desummon every so often the good thing about sharks is that auras and to a certain extent apps are much more viable to use in builds, a lot more builds now utilize all classes which IMO is a good thing, I thought a lot of ppl were complaining that squire was the only viable builder that is no longer true.

Playstyle options have opened up. You also gotta pay attention to the mini map a whole lot more now instead of hiding behind your towers. I like it but others may not like change

If people still need help learning how to deal with Sharken, they should go back to Deeper Well NM and play through the Campaign again until they get it right.

This is totally incorrect. The campaigne can be muscled thru like it was on normal. Without much thought. Infact i actually did it last week to get my friend his hc mythical achieve for the costume he wanted. I just threw harps down anywhere i wanted and had no problems. What did that teach me? absolute nothing about sharkmen and that the campaign is still a joke.

Lies. about the gear.
It's far easer to do a map with top gear at wave 15+ than it is with far less gear,even with gas traps planted.if your not putting out the dmg you will get owned by the sharks anyway.
And to do good dmg you need great gear and have it all lvled up.

Simple fact.

Of course. You can't expect to do Wave 20+ NM Misty with Wave 10 unupgraded NM Misty gear. You'll have a bad time. A proper build trumps them. Until, of course, your stats won't let you progress. You could, of course, start with your low end gear, upgrade it, and make progress on the proper maps for your stats in search for gear.

I was a mid geared player when Sharken were introduced, but I never had a problem with them at all. I just quickly figured out how to counter them is all.

It's a Stats influenced Hack n' Slash tower defense game. You're pointing out the obvious.

I will say that Negative generic resists have to go. Desperately. Possibly Sharks having absolute tower priority, instead of just increased. I've had Towers attacking an Ogre while a sharken was charging a few feet behind it.

they are workable for me, seems like i have them under control until wave 14 or boss then they break through, always seems like the crucial points where i have wasted maximum amount of time on level before they charge my walls, very annoying, dont use monk though, will have to keep evolving and changing tactics, if it wasnt for the constant patches and dlc this game would have died along time ago so im not conplaining, keeps it exciting gj trendy

This is totally incorrect. The campaigne can be muscled thru like it was on normal. Without much thought. Infact i actually did it last week to get my friend his hc mythical achieve for the costume he wanted. I just threw harps down anywhere i wanted and had no problems. What did that teach me? absolute nothing about sharkmen and that the campaign is still a joke.

I believe you, definitely some hyperbole on my part.

Of course. You can't expect to do Wave 20+ NM Misty with Wave 10 unupgraded NM Misty gear. You'll have a bad time. A proper build trumps them. Until, of course, your stats won't let you progress. You could, of course, start with your low end gear, upgrade it, and make progress on the proper maps for your stats in search for gear.

I was a mid geared player when Sharken were introduced, but I never had a problem with them at all. I just quickly figured out how to counter them is all.

It's a Stats influenced Hack n' Slash tower defense game. You're pointing out the obvious.

I will say that Negative generic resists have to go. Desperately. Possibly Sharks having absolute tower priority, instead of just increased. I've had Towers attacking an Ogre while a sharken was charging a few feet behind it.

But the point is that progressing for lower end ppl has become very very slow or to a halt.
I only solo so now the sharks have put be back so far compared to what i could do,is a damn joke.

Also it states single-player as well yet soloing has become stupid now because of them sharks and the odd bosses.
also the time limit is too low to change chars every 5 mins for the first few waves on many maps.
the point is the sharks have ruined this game imo.

But the point is that progressing for lower end ppl has become very very slow or to a halt.
I only solo so now the sharks have put be back so far compared to what i could do,is a damn joke.

Also it states single-player as well yet soloing has become stupid now because of them sharks and the odd bosses.
also the time limit is too low to change chars every 5 mins for the first few waves on many maps.
the point is the sharks have ruined this game imo.

The first 2 waves of any map should only need bare bones stuff. Usually you can get 2 characters worth of stuff out in the time limit. Usually I get out 1 or 2 harpoons per lane and then swap over to my EV and get the buff beams, walls, reflectors out. I usually run genie on my EV and stay on her during the save maxxing out my mana during the first wave. After that wave, I can throw up the auras and traps during the next build phase (I don't bother with the chests this wave as I'm already mana maxed). Then swap back to my squire and push the finishing touches and upgrade. The timer is RARELY an issue.

And you don't need 2k+ stats to handle sharken. My stats for most of my characters are at 1200 damage at best (most stats under 1k). My wall builder has 1900 (everything in tower hp), and my squire has 1800 damage now (though I've been upgrading and handling sharken with 1500). Those stats are easily obtainable from doing Mosterfests and upgrading gear to level 40-50. I RARELY have an issue with sharken using Auras/traps outside my walls. Again stop relying on the Almightly Harpoon, its not the end all be all tower anymore.

This is totally incorrect. With the sort of gear that I (or you) have now it can be muscled through like it was on normal. But it seems like you've been it that position too long to remember progression through it (either that, or you got boosted or bought gear from shops). When I first played through nightmare campaign it was co-op with a friend, we had slightly above entry-level mythic and every map was a challenge. This was pre-sharken so I assume there are a few more tactics that now need to be learned for people with THE APPROPRIATE LEVEL GEAR FOR THE CONTENT.

I hadn't been really trying to break into nightmare until recently. After the Sharken were put in. They had gotten the nerf and I wanted to try nightmare. I started on deeper well and payed attention to where things were. I had a couple harpoons in, I had ensnare auras from my monk who is my weakest character.

I was careful to not put a wall on any straight path where a sharken would see it from far away. Only just after turns. It was mostly just an additional slow down and sharken bait.

With a few proton beams for the damage, I went at it. No sharken attacks bothered me. What actually ended up killing me were the damned spiders actually. I thought I had successfully double covered my harpoons so that spiders would get shot, but it didn't seem to matter. On several waves, the spiders start coming down and the harpoons were instantly webbed before any harpoons even had a chance to fire at them.

The kicker was seeing what looked like a spider web while it leaped at me. Maybe there were other things going on, but it was a real pain to deal with the spiders. Not the djinn or the sharken. Hopefully it's just a matter of shifting a few towers around to better target the spiders.

I haven't hit other maps yet, I want to do them in order, but I am betting, except for a few, the Sharken won't get a good chance to charge because there are corners on every map.

This is totally incorrect. With the sort of gear that I (or you) have now it can be muscled through like it was on normal. But it seems like you've been it that position too long to remember progression through it (either that, or you got boosted or bought gear from shops). When I first played through nightmare campaign it was co-op with a friend, we had slightly above entry-level mythic and every map was a challenge. This was pre-sharken so I assume there are a few more tactics that now need to be learned for people with THE APPROPRIATE LEVEL GEAR FOR THE CONTENT.

I didnt get boosted or buy gear from other shops and the only stat on my tower builder above 1k is damage and i had solo'd every campaign map. I aslo strated doing nm es to get mythics to get gear doin the first 2 waves cause my builders gear wasnt great and dps was a better option. I layed down a few traps for the mobs to run thru and dps'd everything. I think i know more about progression in this game then you maybe believe.