Sign in to follow this  
Syclic

revert shops back to before you had to enable them

Was there an actual reason to this change? All I've seen it do is make nearly any shop i go to not be up because the owner doesn't actively read the patch notes. I've seen maybe 10 shops that actually have shops up since this update. All the rest have afk owners that I can't even tell to enable afk shop.

Along with not seeing any decent upgrades (most everything has negs) it seems like the intention is to keep people who don't already have good myths/trans from getting them.

As far as I recall, it was to keep the afk shops in the afk shop tab, rather than cluttering up games of people actually playing the game.

We'll add an explicit message to The Shop UI that indicates this all the time "Note: Your shop will be inaccessible after 15 Minutes unless you enable AFK Shop Mode." That should help make it clear to anyone who isn't already aware of this change.

-Jer

Imo 15 Minutes is still too long.
I would say 5 mins at the most would be better.

Hmm. What about after an hour, also enabling the AFK shop flag?

Seems like a pretty good idea, we could automatically enable the AFK Shop Flag after one hour of Tavern idle-ness. (Note that it automatically disables again if you go into any Gameplay Mission, etc). What does everyone else think?

-Jer

As long as auto shop enabling only works for public games sure. It would really suck to go afk with your tavern unlocked in a private game and suprise you turned into an afk shop.

Uhh is it gonna move games into the shop section?

Perhaps if only shops that actually have items with prices in the player shop can become afk shops. But yeah, keeping shops out of the games section is better then worrying about games ending up in shops section. Besides if you do head off to a mission it will pull your game from the shop section and people will find it.

I personally think this is a horrible change. In my line of work, I have to be able to leave at a moments notice, and to come home and find that I unintentionally left my shop unlocked or left shop prices low so my friends can grab things from me while I'm away and find that everything has been pilfered would be mildly upsetting, to say the least.

Edit: unless it is going to remain a private match. In that case, disregard this lol

If it works the way it is now, a private match is still a private match, no matter if you have AFK Shop on or not.

@Ozlazen: Why do you have things in your shop for less than you want to sell them for anyway?

I don't like the idea of it automatically turning on - I don't like the idea of a game automatically changing *any* setting that I have done myself.

Doesn't affect public/private settings of course. Just moves the game listing from regular searches to AFK Shop searches if it was a public match, and even then, will relist the session as a game when you load a mission. Will also only do this if there are shop items with prices set on 'em.

Doesn't affect public/private settings of course. Just moves the game listing from regular searches to AFK Shop searches if it was a public match, and even then, will relist the session as a game when you load a mission. Will also only do this if there are shop items with prices set on 'em.
What about people who only sell floor items for tokens and have nothing but empty folders won't be affected? That's still quite some leftover clutter then.

Would it be possible to turn matches which are "afk" for over an hour into a private match and remove it from the listing in case there aren't any items in its store? One could argue that they don't want a game to turn private while they're making one,but chances are pretty slim that you'll get a game running if nobody is interested after even an hour. =/

It's good to see that the shop stuff is being worked on.

Can you create a public API that will json back all the shop names and items currently available in the "Show Games" listing?

Someone put a lot of work into the defender store site but it's more frustrating then anything. You find lots of items you'd love to buy but you can't. People don't want to add people to their steam just to sell an item (95% of the people I added never accepted).

Having a simple site displaying currently open shops and what they have, solves 75% of the shop issues. I've talked to people who tried to use the defender store and it's generally "wasted an hour finding items, trying to figure out how to buy them, realizing barely any of the listings accurately showed a valid afk shop".

The API doesn't even need to give out the steam name. Just the current shop name, so if you do find an item you can go login and buy it. Obviously there's a lot of cool stuff you can do beyond that, but at this point having the most basic of shop information accurately displayed would be a monstrous improvement at this point.

Cap the hits on the api, give private keys, whatever makes you feel comfortable, but this "log into random shops hoping they have something and if they do they aren't mana capped" it's really really annoying. With the expanded shop limits it would be nice to actually sort this stuff and make it a lot more fun. Thanks!

Seems like a pretty good idea, we could automatically enable the AFK Shop Flag after one hour of Tavern idle-ness. (Note that it automatically disables again if you go into any Gameplay Mission, etc). What does everyone else think?

-Jer

i don't think this is a good idea and i see no reason not to keep the actual system. clicking a button shouldn't be too hard. i don't want my games to be afk shops when i'm afk for dinner or something.

i don't think this is a good idea and i see no reason not to keep the actual system. clicking a button shouldn't be too hard. i don't want my games to be afk shops when i'm afk for dinner or something.

If you go afk for over an hour, you should probably return to the main menu anyway. What's the point of advertising a game in the list that people can join, if you're not doing anything with it? It's wasting people's time, time which I personally would like to spend actually playing the game instead of running into AFK game hosts.

[QUOTE]@Ozlazen: Why do you have things in your shop for less than you want to sell them for anyway? [/QUOTE]

I use my afk shop for storage. My item box is too small for trying to farm 10 differenty types of gear for 9 characters (5 types, 1 tower, 1 dps)
I do not know if I am part of the problem you are trying to fix, and I know they are increasing the size of the item box, but don't make me use my AFK shop as an actual shop. I can use the storage.

On a personal note: Shops, buying, selling... If I had just been running for cash/mana I could have probably crushed the game by now. I don't see the point.

If you go afk for over an hour, you should probably return to the main menu anyway. What's the point of advertising a game in the list that people can join, if you're not doing anything with it? It's wasting people's time, time which I personally would like to spend actually playing the game instead of running into AFK game hosts.

i'm only hosting private games. will only public games be "converted" into shops? if that's the case, i said nothing! :-)

Why not make idle games turn private, and add a switch between private and public?
That way the clutter gets removed, and you have absolutely no reason to go in wrong category, as you can just host a game and it will become a shop anyway.
Also it removes the problem of afk non-shop players that otherwise would still be listed in the server list...

i'm only hosting private games. will only public games be "converted" into shops? if that's the case, i said nothing! :-)
Doesn't affect public/private settings of course.
You should be fine, Spliff. :)

Why not make idle games turn private, and add a switch between private and public?
Isn't that in already as the button to hide/show match? Or I'm misunderstanding you.. =/

Also, people who try to stay in the games list on purpose, while being a shop, those won't be gone. (and this is what the problem is most of the time)

I run into this fairly often. Someone will have finished playing and just leave their game open while they go eat dinner or whatever. I don't think their intent is to be a "fake game" to get their shop noticed, since their game title suggests otherwise. If they did get logged out or had some indication as to how long the host has been idle, it might be better for both games and shops.

If I had a public game that I accidentally left running, I would prefer to get booted over to the shops listing if I had things for sale in my shop.

show hide is not private/public, its more of a lock

things it does:
1. if your game is public it will remove it from server list, if private its not in there so this does not happen
2. it blocks anyone from joining your game, giving a "you have been banned" message, this includes friends