What's the purpose of the backup save data?

I am referring to the 2nd save file that gets automatically created and that is labeled as a back up saved data.
I keep hearing these stories of save files getting corrupted and one of my friends recently got his corrupted and I was wondereing if you could maybe delete the main save and let the backup do its job and replace it upon booting the game? Otherwise, what is the point of that backup save if it can't help you when your main save gets corrupted?

I've had my file corrupt before and I believe the second save (the backup) is only your characters & levels. No items. That way if your file should corrupt, you would still have your characters and experience. I guess it's better than nothing but seems that the backup is seriously lacking wouldn't you say?

I'm surprised because the file size is pretty dang near identical, so it wouldn't make sense for the backup to only be a few bytes on character's names and levels. Did you actually salvage your character and their levels when the corruption happened to you? What steps did you use or was it automatic? It could help my friend who is having this problem right now.

I'm surprised because the file size is pretty dang near identical, so it wouldn't make sense for the backup to only be a few bytes on character's names and levels. Did you actually salvage your character and their levels when the corruption happened to you? What steps did you use or was it automatic? It could help my friend who is having this problem right now.

I know. Seems strange the saves would be almost the same size.

What happened to me is that my game froze on wave 21 of a survival run. I had to hard reboot the system (original 60GB) and when I loaded up the game it said the file was corrupt. From what I recall, it auto deleted the save file. I backed out to the xmb and checked the saves folder and there was still the backup file but no original save. I loaded up the game and all I had were my characters. That's why I assume the backup is just characters and levels.

luckily I had PS+ so I just downloaded my saves from the cloud. Only lost about 2 days of stuff but I'm ok with that. Better than losing everything.

I've had my file corrupt before and I believe the second save (the backup) is only your characters & levels. No items. That way if your file should corrupt, you would still have your characters and experience. I guess it's better than nothing but seems that the backup is seriously lacking wouldn't you say?

A lot of games do it this way, but not what you mean with storage nonidentical.

My guess would be a type of "checksum" that cannot be verified, with the deletion/corruption of the original save, and removes those items it cannot verify, i.e. items in the forge.

That is pure speculation, of course.

i think it needs to back up everything!!!!

I agree with that. People without PS+ have absolutely no way to back up their saves and given the number of hours you can invest in this game, it's pretty heart breaking to lose everything but your character's levels...

I agree with that. People without PS+ have absolutely no way to back up their saves and given the number of hours you can invest in this game, it's pretty heart breaking to lose everything but your character's levels...

Agreed. I think it wouldn't be such an issue if the game wasn't so unstable. Just seems like corruptions happen more often than they should.

Agreed. I think it wouldn't be such an issue if the game wasn't so unstable. Just seems like corruptions happen more often than they should.

I still don't see corruption often enough as everyone has been talking about.
Hell I tried to emulate the corruption issue with no avail.

I think a change in the backup structure would be better than enabling off disk backup.