PSVita release update

Trendy,

Any sort of news related to the PSVita release of DD? Can you at least confirm or deny that it is being developed? Any tidbits of info would be greatly appreciated.

I just got my Vita and I would love to know if DD is coming to it. I saw a list of Vita titles being released and DD was one of them. I hope its true!

Hitmonchan, make me a promise. When you know something that you are able to say' at least drop a hint. From your response I assume that you guys are working on it. If that wasnt the case then I assume you would flat out say no. Either way your response has somewhat quenched my desire to know due to the fact that someone actually responded. Thank you for taking the time and i anxiously await any news. If there ever is news where would it be posted first?

I have $400 worth of psvita gear and all I do with it is PSN msg people wile playing DD on my PS3....make my purchase worthwhile!

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately, we do not have more information on that at this time.

Hit, you sound like a spokesman for a major organization. :)

/reporter

This just in, Trendy Entertainment is now known as Trendy Inc..

As someone who runs a vita specific site I am obviously bummed.

And as someone who has been here since before day one, and also wrote a newb console strategy guide that has over 10,000 views... i feel like I owe you guys quite a bit of thanks. So thanks.

I don't want to sound like an entitled, whiny gamer. But I do think you guys are making the wrong decision.

I would assume that you guys have the same access to info that i do. Through my site I've gained the trust of several Sony employees that wish there was more Vita info out there than Sony seems willing to release. And looking at the digital sales on the platform I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to get in on that? Digital only releases on the Vita are making serious cash. I'm hearing the top five are selling between 50-90k a month. The digital adoption rate of software is absurdly higher than on the PS3. Drinkbox sold more on their first day with the Vita than they did the entire run with the first Mutant Blobs game on the PS3. That's a major reason why they went PS3/PSV exclusive with Guacamelee. I talked to those guys before the Vita launched, they were 100% certain at that point that their next game (which was guacamelee but I didnt know that) was going to be multiplatform. The vita sales changed that.

I'm sure you guys are privy to all the same numbers I am. And I guess you have so many versions of the game that even if the Vita version is going to make you bank you may not have the manpower to get it done. This is a bummer. I love the game. I have it on the PS3, ios, Android and Steam. I was really looking forward to playing it on the vita but I guess you can't always get what you want.

Anyway, good luck to ya Trendy. Thanks for the great game. I'm bummed about this but i'm not on some anti-trendy tirade.

It's no suprise to me, because honestly the Vita seems to be performing terribly at an eyeball's glance. It probably had a worse launch with the 3DS (which did not have a good launch), with most of the stores I visited only having like 2 games for it.

[QUOTE]And looking at the digital sales on the platform I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to get in on that?[/QUOTE]I know a lot of people were upset when they found out you couldn't port your PSP PSN store account over (thus being able to play those games on it), even though in Japan you could do that.

I just have no compelling reason to buy a PS Vita (No DunDef certainly doesn't help those prospects though!)

The PSP was in a distant second place throughout its existence, and I don't see any signs the PS Vita will do any better

There's two million of them in the world currently... and digital sales are through the roof. The story from neogaf's of the world is that its DOOOOOOOOMED but talking to people inside Sony they are actually quite pleased (though they want to see higher sales in Japan... US/EU is where they projected). They didn't expect digital sales to be as high as they are.

It's never going to catch up the 3DS in terms of units sold, but I dont think they ever had delusions of that in the first place. You don't need to be number one to have a successful platform. Hell, the PS3 is #3 and it still has sold over 60 million units. Its one of sony's few divisions that makes any money.

[QUOTE]You don't need to be number one to have a successful platform.[/QUOTE]i don't disagree. But there's 2 real reasons digital sales are high:

1) You can't port over the PSN store stuff you already own from the PSP, forcing you to buy it again if you want to play it on the Vita (In japan, you can do it, it was disabled in North America)
2) The number of disc games available at launch was horrendous. My local Walmart had like a dozen PSVitas on the shelf and, for a few days, literally zero games for sale.

The fact is, while digital distribution is doing well these days, a lot of people still prefer to go to a store and buy a physical product. And it's these people who were sorely disappointed.

I do own a PSP, but so far, I have no reason to upgrade, especially considering the few digital titles I own I can't move over to the Vita.

Digital PSP games transfer over to the Vita, but yes - UMD's don't. And the deal in Japan wasn't even that great of a deal. It wasn't free. You sent them your UMDs, for only certain games, and paid a $15 charge, and they gave you a download code.

I personally had my entire library of PSP digital, as that's what i prefer (I also bought a GO when it came out). So I still have my entire library of PSP games. But most don't.

Also, yes the in store presence of the Vita is bad. It was bad for the 3DS as well. With the 3DS they basically just mixed stuff into the DS stuff... and with the vita they just mix it into the PSP stuff (I mean in stores like Walmart. Gamestop obviously has a decent Vita and 3DS section).

Also, these numbers tend to surprise people, but games wise both in terms of quanity and quality only one system launched in the last 8 years had a better first four months than the vita.

These are north american numbers, taken from wikipedia and metacritic (and from my own site... obviously. I didn't just pull these to make a forum post ;) )

Wii: 60 games — 15 with a Metacritic of 70% or higher.

Vita: 48 games — 21 with a Metacritic of 70% or higher.

360: 46 games — 33 with a Metacritic of 70% or higher

3DS: 40 games — 11 with a Metacritic of 70% or higher (note that all three versions of Nintendogs were counted individually)

PS3: 34 games — 20 with a Metacritic of 70% or higher

PSP: 29 games — 17 with a Metacritic of 70% or higher

DS: 17 games — 5 with a Metacritic of 70% or higher

The problem is that it's people like me communicating this stuff. Sony is so absolutely terrible about promoting their own products. They should be shouting this stuff from the rooftops but they arent, so they are letting the trolls on neogaf, 4chan, giantbomb, gamefaqs and wherever else control the narrative of the Vita. Sony is so, so dumb sometimes.

But anyway, my argument is that Dungeon Defenders is a digital game, and a very awesome and popular one at that. Looking at the sell through on the store I think Dun Def would do very well. Not as good as they do on steam, obviously. But better than they have on the PSN and XBLA.

@Alhanalem
You can import your PSP's PSN profile onto your Vita (In the USA, at least). I have bought over 20 digital games from when I had a PSP go, and I have activated that same account on my Vita. If the game was supported on Vita, I could re-download it again at no cost. The only way I would have to repurchase a game was if I had the UMD version. That's what people are really upset about. Since I've been waiting for more good games to come out (Like Dungeon Defenders), I've been using my Vita to play those PSP games I had already bought in 2009-2010. Luckily, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection just came out, so I have something new to play. I'm very disappointed that they have cancelled development of Dungeon Defenders on the Vita. If I didn't already have a Vita, I would go and buy one just to play Dungeon Defenders. Dungeon Defenders was the game that made me buy an iPod touch early last year. It's that good of a game. It's such a shame that they cancelled it. Oh well, at least I can play it on my PC.

Welp, there goes a shot at giving PS Vita's game catalog some color.

"Steady... Aim.. And-a-miss."

It seems when they are not busy they can successfully port Dungeon Defenders on every other electronic device while blindfolded and only using their pinkies.