Spike Walls are Obsolete due to Physical Beams; Suggested UNIQUE ability

With the release of the EV Series and her Physical Beams, it has effectively made Spike Blockades virtually worthless. At 2 DU, the P.Beam can cover the same or wider area, and at 3 DU can cover a staggering distance.

Even before EV's release, I spent a lot of time thinking about how the Spike Blockades can become unique in itself. Sure, it has spikes to do damage to attackers. But it needs more. This is my suggestion;

Increase the thickness of the wall itself (not the spikes). Do not increase the length! Like this;
Original: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120106150303/dundef/images/thumb/7/79/Spikeblockade.png/150px-Spikeblockade.png
Modified:

Now the unique ability can come in play! Allow the ability to build towers ON TOP OF THE SPIKE BLOCKADE! It is wide enough that you can build two fireball towers next-to-next on top of the spike blockade. Being built on top of a spike blockade does this;
1st benefit: All towers on top of a spike blockade cannot be attacked by melee (ranged?) or recieve less damage, or force enemies to attack the spike blockade first.
1st Negative: If the spike blockade is destroyed, all towers on top of it are destroyed instantly - identical to how the buff beams are destroyed when a buffed tower is destroyed.
2nd Benefit: All towers on top of Spike all share one combined health bar (could be like 1st Negative) and thus only has to be repaired once.
2nd Negative: As soon a tower is built on top of a Spike Blockade, the spike blockade cannot be upgraded.

Other benefits/drawbacks you might want to add here, go for it!

tl;dr to this: I recommend making Spike Blockades thicker, allowing the construction of towers ON TOP of the blockade, creating new and unique building possibilities. This would validate the 3 DU cost.

Apart from you put your towers behind your blockades so the mobs can attack them. Blockades are useless if they don't protect the towers behind them.

Not really. An EV's beam health is directly related to its DU use. A 2 DU PhB has less health than the 3 DU spike blockade (roughly 2/3). Covering areas that are short spaces (like some of the corridors in Moraggo) will require spike blockades rather than beams, since the spike can cover the area without sacrificing tower health significantly.

Would be nice if spike walls would be immune to the sharken special attack (you know pushing it back).

It would give a use to this wall.

Not really. An EV's beam health is directly related to its DU use. A 2 DU PhB has less health than the 3 DU spike blockade (roughly 2/3). Covering areas that are short spaces (like some of the corridors in Moraggo) will require spike blockades rather than beams, since the spike can cover the area without sacrificing tower health significantly.

nope ...

@Torinir
In most cases one can place the physical beam so it is either diagonal or at junctions so maximize the DU cost. There are a few cases where I prefer spikes, but in nearly every situation beams come out on top.

This should not be done as it would block players such that they could not get past the barricade without selling the towers on top.

Spike walls are not obsolete... they can do damage while having a huge amount of health for 3 DU.
Both of them already have unique ability.
Spiked Walls:
-High health
-Damage

Physical Beam
-High health
-Huge coverage

Neither of them are better than each other.

They do damage...

Spike walls are not obsolete... they can do damage while having a huge amount of health for 3 DU.
Both of them already have unique ability.
Spiked Walls:
-High health
-Damage

Physical Beam
-High health
-Huge coverage

Neither of them are better than each other.

>Implying people place Spike Blockades to face mobs

This should not be done as it would block players such that they could not get past the barricade without selling the towers on top.

Valid point! It can be another 'negative' associated with it. Obviously don't do this in narrow pathways where you can't go around it.

>Implying people place Spike Blockades to face mobs

Heh, I actually laughed out loud there. Nice one.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that Trendy will fix that mobs tend not to attack EV walls and reverse spikes at all, though.

Heh, I actually laughed out loud there. Nice one.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that Trendy will fix that mobs tend not to attack EV walls and reverse spikes at all, though.

I still can't understand why they haven't, it seems broken and cheesy as hell that players have to rely on that bug/glaring design flaw.

It's not really a bug per se. Mobs (especially Ogres) respond by the 'aggro level' of towers and heroes. They tend to ignore everything else and gravitate towards those with higher aggro levels. Because reversed spike blockades has a naturally low aggro level (it doesn't do damage) and towers behind that blockade have higher aggro levels (from dealing high enough of damage) so mobs tend to 'want' to attack these attacking towers, instead of the reversed spikes/p walls.
It's a design flaw that everyone is 'abusing,' me including because it works so well.

I honestly don't really care if this gets "fixed" or not. I mean it would make sense for them to attack the walls, since that's the only thing they can reach anyway, but the game is balanced around the fact that they don't.

The only thing I ask here, is that we need to keep that simple fact in mind. If ogres start attacking walls again, balance their damage or the tower hp around that. To be honest, fixing that would make it so that people will start using spike walls the way there were intended again. Would allow for some more actual gameplay decisions to be made.

So, to summarize in short - If we get a fix to wall aggro, spike walls should be just fine. We would just need another fix to balance out that overall wall nerf.

Oh and I like your idea, OP, but it might just be a little too gimicky. It sounds cool and all, but I doubt it's really practical, and worth trying. The idea to have a defense that protects your towers is quite nice though. I think we could work that idea out into something cool someday. Or well, trendy might, possibly with a new hero. (I wanna see an animal tamer hero that just puts lions on leashes near your towers to protect them. Just because it's awesome :P)

main problem i have with spikewalls is that ogres can jump over them and zippys glitch through...Have yet to see it happen with ev walls.

main problem i have with spikewalls is that ogres can jump over them and zippys glitch through...Have yet to see it happen with ev walls.

I think addressing this would help spike blockades a lot... How about, one an enemy hits the spikes, the only direction they can move is back away from the spikes?

They do on Glitter at times, especially if the beam is choking on a diagonal (like someone mentioned on page 1). Sometimes a mob will get pushed through/over the beam if it gets too crowded. Happened to the occasional Ogre and Kobold.

I had one side step them on magnus.... the spike was in the center of the middle stairs and it just walked right by it without falling into the lava :(

But then I had some just fall into the lava for no reason, now that was funny.

building towers on top of walls is...
well, plain retarded - seeing as ogres and orcs cleave, kobolds explode, and djinn/mages do ranged splash attacks

I would rather see HP for the Magic Blockade increased. As they are now they are almost worthless.

A single magic blockade combined with a proxy trap kills spiders at their spawn when you can't get a tower to aim at it. For 5 DU it's cheap and safe. You could use a MM for campaign, but the amount of spiders in late survival waves will completely wreck anything else. (unless you can get a buffed harpoon to quickly aim over to the spawn, while still able to damage stuff in lanes from that location)