Feature Request: Speed up time Multiplier!

For those of us doing some of these waves we waste god knows how long waiting on djin and spiders to spawn etc.. 10 minutes at the end of many waves is spent scratching our proverbial butts, So put in a Time Speed up Option would Just As it says Increase Everything to 2x speed, or 4x speed, Allowing us to motor thru waves if we so wished.

Many Tower Defense games do include something similar to this. Maybe have it need all active players to hold 'G' during the Combat Phase to make everything speed up.

The next best thing would be some kind of option to make it so there's no lengthy wait period between creeps spawning. just have them all come out at the beginning.

I love this idea. It might run into some implementation problems in multiplayer though, when half the players want to speed up and the others don't. There would have to be a vote of some sort, and it would need to be able to drop back to normal speed quickly in case things start to fail.

Good idea, it's just... this might be extremely difficult to implement. Sounds like it'd strain Trendy servers and people's computers a lot.

Good idea, it's just... this might be extremely difficult to implement. Sounds like it'd strain Trendy servers and people's computers a lot.

Trendy doesn't host games, so it shouldn't affect their servers at all. People's computers, yes.

Yeah I could see this being a problem for player's computers that were on the lower end. With so many projectiles, weapons firing, and mobs spawning/dying is a lot of quick rendering. There's plenty of players who have difficult time with just smaller maps on survival, having a large map with speedup could be destructive.

It probably is very difficult with the current designs. As it is, playing at normal speed often times the mobs start coming out of doors at odd rates during waves. You end up with a few doors completed long before the other doors are half done. With a high speed mode, this would only get worse, as well as there is a limit to the mobs that can currently be dealt with by the game.

Maybe they will be able to work on a speed up option, but I would expect that they are probably working more on the mob spawns now rather then adjusting the time used. With the ability to start on waves that you have completed, they have helped cut back on a lot of time used because you don't have to do as many waves to get to higher waves.

For those of us doing some of these waves we waste god knows how long waiting on djin and spiders to spawn etc.. 10 minutes at the end of many waves is spent scratching our proverbial butts.
But - even if I would LOVE a speed up-option - that would be a fight against symptoms. There should be a rework of spawn mechanics. There is no point in waiting one minute until the last wyvern spawns (have this problem nearly every time in the City in the Cliffs) - and there is no point to wait 30 or 15 seconds either. Same way with last two spiders in Mistymire. Same way with last 2-4 wyverns in Endless Spires. And so on, and so on. Speed up wouldn't solve that problem, only hide it.

Yeah I could see this being a problem for player's computers that were on the lower end. With so many projectiles, weapons firing, and mobs spawning/dying is a lot of quick rendering. There's plenty of players who have difficult time with just smaller maps on survival, having a large map with speedup could be destructive.

I see no reason you guys can't work up a version of projectiles / GFX intensive items that were low polygon, had fewer shaders and were relatively low intensity compared to actual GFX.

Honestly people would use a button that swapped "Fireballs" to a red-line with fireball written on it. Pretty projectiles aren't an important part of gameplay.

I'm surprised that a simple check for active mobs isn't implemented. Thinking out loud in pseudo-code, something along the lines of:

if (instance_exists(obj_mob) == false)
{
obj_controller.spawntimer = 0;
}

I never became familiar with the UDK nor the DunDef source code, but that would make sure that those last few kobolds/wyverns came out when the field was cleared, not 5 minutes after the field was cleared.

Tons of people (myself included when I am theorycrafting) use speedhacks for this in single player. I'd really like this to appear in the game, even if it's just for theorycrafting (i.e. in single player only), because speedhacks are difficult to use without crashing. It'd also be great to have in multiplayer, but I suspect that it'd give people with good computers an unfair advantage over those without, so it'd kind of mess up balance. But single player? Why not?

If the game isn't using fixed time deltas then it shouldn't increase the CPU/GPU use too much. All you'd need to do is multiply the time delta and make sure to have a while loop where projectiles and mobs are spawned and simulate them for the remaining time to correctly handle multiple spawns per frame, something like this:

static const float s_timeBetweenProjectileSpawns = 0.005f;
static float s_timeSinceLastProjectile = 0.0f;

ProjectileManager::Update(float timeDelta)
{
//Update the list of all projectiles here

float timeRemaining = timeDelta + s_timeSinceLastProjectile;
while (s_timeBetweenProjectileSpawns < timeRemaining)
{
timeRemaining -= s_timeBetweenProjectileSpawns;
Projectile newProjectile = SpawnProjectile();
newProjectile.Update(timeRemaining);
//Add newProjectile to list of all projectiles here
}
s_timeSinceLastProjectile = timeRemaining;
}

It should only be a little more CPU/GPU usage than running at normal speed, unless your spawning functions are very expensive. Of course if you are using fixed time deltas then yeah, it'd pretty much cripple slower machines, which is why I've never liked using fixed time deltas despite the extra work that is needed to get flexible time deltas to work nicely.

Not a programmer but I would pay for this feature as a Premium DLC, NP! if thats what it takes to get something like this put in, and as far as Lower end pcs not able to handle it, Well folks can Buy something new if they wish to use the feature. hence make it a premium DLC so folks don;t have it default and if they want it theres requirements listed, everyones happy.

Or just make it so that the last mobs aren't terribly slow spawning Djinn...

For example, I just did another 3 man Misty NM run and cleared wave 30. We had to wait for like 50-60 Djinn per wave or something to spawn at the end. It's so tedious to just be running around and killing those. It's not difficult at all, just plain boring. Just keep the gas traps active and they'll float around waiting for towers or players to finish them off.

This started when the number of active Djinn per player count got reduced, and has been boring the crap out of people ever since. At least most of the people I play with dislike it anyway. I can't speak for everyone. =/

What about a "next spawn" button instead? Even that pause at the halfway mark of some maps can be a little lengthy, so why not just press "G" and have the next set of enemies come out? This could easily be adapted to those djinn, wyvern, or what ever else at the end of the wave. I'm not sure how many times I've lost UMF Lifestream due to djinn not spawning until 5 seconds remain.

I'm not sure how many times I've lost UMF Lifestream due to djinn not spawning until 5 seconds remain.

This. I had to go back to running UMF because I could no longer beat Lifestream UMF. I got to the point where I achieved my first OMF victory yesterday and it has very similar Spawns to Lifestream UMF but the smaller size of the map and the fact there are only 2 spawns gives you plenty of time to finish off the straggling Djinn.

why not have it so that pressing G basically fastforwards to the next enemy spawn. That way if you get to end of wave and there's a wait between ogre or djinn spawns, pressing G would take you through all of that. Since there's not a ton of projectiles from towers firing at those times it wouldn't be an issue. Also, if in the middle of the wave while there are still tons of spawns occurring it would basically have no effect and again have no issue due to projectiles as well since it would stop at the next enemy spawn regardless of the enemy type. Then give this ability only to the host.

Edit: Same idea as Siggycakes except mine would still count against the time.

oh boy( hacked items users) want to speed things up cuz they are wasting time / no offense (too late isn't ? )

When there is a pause in spawning, there probably should be a sort of kickstart. That would be good. But when any monsters are out they probably couldn't effectively speed anything up. I am still sort of hoping for even spawning from all points unless they are meant to spawn at different times. This whole finish half the room at a time thing is getting old.

oh boy( hacked items users) want to speed things up cuz they are wasting time / no offense (too late isn't ? )

Wow, someone needs to go back and play UMF Lifestream again and then see if this is the case.

We want to speed things up because we're tired of losing because the monsters aren't coming out properly. Getting to wave 14 and having 3 monsters left and 15 seconds between each spawn is infuriating, especially when that last one causes you to lose. It has nothing to due with having hacked items or anything, come back when you learn how to play at end game.

So slow everything down to support slow players? You do have recommended specs for the game right?
I do suspect that most ppl that invest time in this game have enough processing power. Lets think about them and not the other 2 players.