i got a set of armor but do not know how to upgrade it. What class and what pts should I put into what if I want to do the high end stuff now? (surv, nm hc etc)?

An EV with high tower HP and ATT is a great way to start. You'll get good walls and buff beams, which can support your other builders very well untill you get better gear for other classes together. It doesn't matter what all other stats are for an EV waller / buffer, since it probably won't be your active character during waves anyways. Getting about 2k in each is even fairly doable in myth gear this way.

Look for pieces with a lot of minus stats on it, as long as those two main stats are high. People usually sell those cheaper compared to gear with high stats on everything. At least that's how I started. Takes longer to gear up this way, but you'll get higher stats where you need them without access to incredibly good gear.

Afterwards it's a good idea to get a good hunter class for gas, darkness and proximity traps together. Focus on tower hp, attack and range first when upgrading. You should get plenty of fire rate from the base stats. Next, go for either an apprentice or squire with high tower attack and tower attack rate. A bit of health and range used to be nice for them, but since EV buff beams they don't have to have nearly as much stats anymore as they used to.