Sign in to follow this  
Shadow_Hunter

Mistymire Random Crystal Exploding

I thought this issue had been fixed but it just happened to me and my friend during a NMHC Misty survival. The north crystal was at full health on wave 22 and the camera just randomly switched to a cut-scene of it exploding. We were both in the vicinity and absolutely nothing was close to it. The north lane was almost empty except for a nearly dead ogre (doing the bending over in pain animation so not attacking) and a djinn. The cut-scene showed no projectiles or anything hitting it other than harpoons shooting through to hit the ogre...

It was extremely frustrating because it was one of our best attempts at it and we were really handling everything great. As far as I can tell, there's just no way it could've been a legit crystal death.

Edit: So after reading up on it, apparently a mage could one-shot the north crystal now? Reflection beams are now essential on every crystal I guess, just in case? Either way, I didn't see anything hit the crystal and the gas and darkness traps I have there were active so there's no way a mage could've gotten in range of it in the first place.

I've had it happen on several maps including misty. Before reflects came out and with reflects up and running as well. THIS HAS TO BE FIXED NO MORE DAMNED EXCUSES! If i lose do to some failure on my part or the part of my team I'm an adult I can take it!
That being said if I lose just because the game wants to cheat me / us it gets totally unacceptable.

I've had it happen on several maps including misty. Before reflects came out and with reflects up and running as well. THIS HAS TO BE FIXED NO MORE DAMNED EXCUSES! If i lose do to some failure on my part or the part of my team I'm an adult I can take it!
That being said if I lose just because the game wants to cheat me / us it gets totally unacceptable.

If they knew specifically what was causing the issue I'm sure it would be fixed by now. They have a perfectly legitimate excuse. Too many players screaming 'fix this now' and not enough helping them actually pinpoint what the problem is.

They aren't screwing you over for the sake of screwing you over. How would they benefit from that?

I know I just go nuts when I spend all day on a long survive whipping it witch is an accomplishment for me only to have my crystal go POOF! Wave 30 misty 1 enemy left and BOOM Ive had it happen! At least misty is not as long winded as some but still you get the point.

Yeah, I feel ya. Explodey crystals are annoying. It's just obviously difficult to track down what is causing it. Just like harpoon targetting errors. Every time they claim it's fixed it turns out it's not what they thought was causing the problem.(Or wasn't the ONLY thing causing it, anyways) The life of a coder.. >.

Wave 24 Deeper Well Survival - random crystal explosion = dead, prior wave Ogres walked over physical walls
Wave 23 Ramparts Survival - random crystal damage = 10% health, did get through, but we were pretty antsy due to the random damage
Wave 29 Mistymire Survival - random crystal explosion = dead

I'm going to take a break from these. Nothing gets near the crystal -- I think the problem started with reflect walls, but not sure?

Actually its the mages, now that they actually spend time firing fireballs instead of summoning skeletons, they're a huge threat, and their wildly inaccurate projectiles with splash are huge threats to crystals. Especially mistymire's north crystal, which is exposed to necros from below.

I believe I had this happen also. I was running back behind the EV wall, ran past the crystal and suddenly I saw the "Crystal under attack" message and it had 10% of it's life left. The wall wasn't even hurt, no ogre, no ninja.

But there were mages. I'm fairly sure they were shooting at me as I was running back and it hit the crystal.

Actually its the mages, now that they actually spend time firing fireballs instead of summoning skeletons, they're a huge threat, and their wildly inaccurate projectiles with splash are huge threats to crystals. Especially mistymire's north crystal, which is exposed to necros from below.

It could've possibly been a stray DEM fireball, and if it was, that seems incredibly unfair. Like someone mentioned previously, I'm all for punishing a player mistake and I can take a crystal explosion if I misplaced a wall or tower, but something like this is pretty much out of my control. Are we gonna have to sacrifice DUs to box out every single crystal in reflection beams from now on? That's just ridiculous. If my crystal had taken some damage, I would've reacted and changed my strategy accordingly, but instant game over? Very frustrating, especially in long survival maps.

And if it wasn't actually a DEM fireball, than all I can think of is harpoons are causing the crystal to explode in some very rare and hard to recreate situations. Those kind of glitches are the worst to debug...

I'd just like to point out that I've only been playing for about 3 weeks and to be honest, I really admire Trendy's incredibly fast response to the community with constant bug fixes and gameplay tweaks. I just hope this is something they're looking at.

Almost certainly the mage fireball. It actually has pretty severe repercussions to many maps, since they're now the first real source of ranged damage (archers are a joke). I'm thinking Trendy underestimated the impact of it, and with a large patch coming up its probably being evaluated - part of the problem I think is that mage fireballs aren't range limited like archer/wyvern ones, based on some of the behavior I've seen - or if they are, they're less so.

Ahhhh the random crystal destruction. A friend and I played Misty today and our build was going great, we'd cleared 10 waves with no crystal damage and booooom! So we just made room for 3 EV reflect beams in a triangle around the crystal. Worked great until a random orc made it to the crystal with no walls going down! must have floated over one or something. been a buggy month playing this game...

My friend and I have been experiencing this same issue. We usually see it happen on wave 13 or 14 of Alchemy Labs on nightmare hardcore. I'm pretty sure it's the harpoon hitting the crystal, as the crystal either gets knocked down to almost nothing or just gets outright one shotted by something.

I'm not certain about it since it's so random that I haven't been able to reproduce the problem at all. Each time it happens though I see a harpoon firing through the crystal as it shows the crystal blowing up. Also it only got hit once, or many times VERY rapidly before I could see the warning pop up.