Sign in to follow this  
FruitLord

How Wizard Changes Came About

Head Honcho(HH): Guys, we need to call an emergency meeting.
Intern(I): What about?
Dev1: Fixing this damn game, duh!
HH: Players are progressing. They actually get an upgrade at least once a week now.
Dev1: Uh oh.
Intern: Isn't that a good thing?
HH: NO! Now look, wizards no longer clog stuff up, can we fix that bug?
Dev1: I believe the community complained about it for 5 months so we stopped it.
HH: Lame.
Dev2: So...we need to buff wizards?
HH: Yes, they are no longer a threat.
I: Neither are orcs or goblins...
Dev1: How about we pump up their healing! 10% heals for everyone!
HH: Good, good! We need another buff, keep em coming.
Dev2: And they can snipe from waaay outside range of traps and defenses.
I: Won't players be upset about these changes?
HH: Yeah, so let's not put it in the patch notes. I'm sure they'll complain about invincible ogres.
Dev1: But the sniping won't be complained about right away, so we can nerf healing and leave that in.
HH: Great teamwork guys!
I: Players have complained about ninja nerfs...we are going to lose customers.
HH: How much do we pay this intern?
Dev2: Nothing.
HH: Good!

Yeah it took me a few games to figure out why I was loosing everything that was easy for me before. Mages are shooting powerful fireballs non stop at walls.. It is almost a REQUIREMENT now to have a Reflective wall in front of every regular wall.

haha

you might add a job security bit into it also lol. For every one thing they "fix", they break two more so they have something to do tomorrow. =)

How the wizard changes actually came about:

Random side-effects of reducing their summoning time and other changes.

I guess as long as some people find it funny, more power to them. XP

Ironically enough I beat Moraggo for the first time last night even with all the problems. It was kind of entertaining once I had the reflective walls up though, they were nuking their own mobs like crazy

How the wizard changes actually came about:

Random side-effects of reducing their summoning time and other changes.

I guess as long as some people find it funny, more power to them. XP

The change had nothing to do with summoning time. That was fixed like 5 patches ago(7.27 I think). So...no.

The change had nothing to do with summoning time. That was fixed like 5 patches ago(7.27 I think). So...no.

The rapid fire fireballs started happening BECAUSE of the change to summoning time due to them not casting summon nearly as often and only having two other spells to pick from. It started exactly with the patch that changed summon times. They also heal more often because of it. The only change that wasn't related was the super-big healing numbers. Which was covered by my mention of 'other changes'.Not a single one of these problems was intentional or 'ninjaed' in as your original post suggests..

So...Yes.

The rapid fire fireballs started happening BECAUSE of the change to summoning time due to them not casting summon nearly as often and only having two other spells to pick from. It started exactly with the patch that changed summon times. They also heal more often because of it. The only change that wasn't related was the super-big healing numbers. Which was covered by my mention of 'other changes'.Not a single one of these problems was intentional or 'ninjaed' in as your original post suggests..

So...Yes.

Sigh. I'm sorry, but you are wrong. They changed the summoning time and it worked well for many patches. Yes, they threw more fireballs because they were not spamming summoning. The issues with this latest patch were the massive healing(which is fixed) and the *sniping*. The sniping is a buff. They throw fireballs just like they did several patches ago when the summoning timing was fixed except now they do it from an incredible range.

If you play once a week, you won't notice the changes with each small patch. If that's the case then I can understand why you think the fireball nuking coincides with the summoning time fix. Or if you play campaign, etc. But on the longer waves it is blatantly apparent that something changed with 7.29+ and wizard fireballs.

They've already noted on patch notes that the range is capped again.

These almost certainly weren't ninja'd in. Do you really believe they think THIS community wouldn't notice it and complain? Not including it in the patch notes is a way to get MORE complaints, not less.

What almost certainly happened was that Bob J. Programmer had the task of fixing some issue. He also had the task of rebalancing the Necros to make them more threatening again (after the less-skeleton change) without creating the lane clogging they used to. He was working on this task at the same time as fixing bugs. When the time came to add the bug fixes to the release version, he accidentally included his unfinished Necromancer changes as well. These were accidentally included, so obviously wouldn't be in the notes. Trendy's already removing them, something they almost certainly wouldn't do if it were wholly intentional. I'm not saying this is *exactly* what happened, but rather a story something like this. The changes were almost certainly included in error, even if intentionally written. They really have nothing at all to gain from trying to sneak things like this in.

It's always best to assume human error, rather than spite. You'll be a lot less stressed that way.

Sigh. I'm sorry, but you are wrong. They changed the summoning time and it worked well for many patches. Yes, they threw more fireballs because they were not spamming summoning. The issues with this latest patch were the massive healing(which is fixed) and the *sniping*. The sniping is a buff. They throw fireballs just like they did several patches ago when the summoning timing was fixed except now they do it from an incredible range.

If you play once a week, you won't notice the changes with each small patch. If that's the case then I can understand why you think the fireball nuking coincides with the summoning time fix. Or if you play campaign, etc. But on the longer waves it is blatantly apparent that something changed with 7.29+ and wizard fireballs.

As much as I don't generally agree with Niko (Lightning towers and what not). I don't see any major difference from what I did in 7.27 compared to now. I did Magus quarters survival immediately after 7.27 to test the clogging and noticed the fireball spam. I also did Karthiki survival Last Saturday, 7.28? or 7.29? and noticed significant dmg from fireballs on my barricades. Monday and Tuesday I did Misty Mire Survival 18-30 on patch 7.29b and whatever patch Monday was. I noticed more fireball spam, but nothing that would have been unexpected after seeing 7.27 magus quarters. I put a reflect in front of the barriers in the west and north and still finished wave 30 with no problems.

Now, I'm not saying there was no change to fireball spam, but I honestly am just not seeing it from what people are saying. Has there been any confirmation other than the djinn buff healing change that mages are different?

No wonder, I knew they got super dangerous and they were hurting my walls more than they used to. I think they also got longer range of fire as well. They are even more dangerous when buffed by djinns. I saw that a djinn + a group of them golden would almost out tank my 2k atk harpoons. Plus their fireballs hurt like a mofo. Even with decent 80% resists in fire they were hurting alot.

The additional healing also clogs lanes like crazy.

I would normally whole-heartedly agree with you Llorean, except they have a bad track record for this kind of thing and are kinda lax about communicating with the community. Although again, their recent patches and communication have been much improved.

The communication to us in response to the complaints so far has been "we'll fix/undo it". I'm not saying they owe us any kind of explaination like it was a mistake or whatever, but the impression plus their track record leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. It didn't work well until the most recent patch. Even the sniping issues came up with the change to summoning. And wasn't intended then either.

[quote]If you play once a week, you won't notice the changes with each small patch. If that's the case then I can understand why you think the fireball nuking coincides with the summoning time fix. Or if you play campaign, etc. But on the longer waves it is blatantly apparent that something changed with 7.29+ and wizard fireballs.[/QUOTE]
Funny. My steam account is currently showing 205 hours spent in the last 2 weeks on DD.
I have played DD every single day since I got into it.
But I guess I'm just one of those 'Once a week players'.
I think it's more that you didn't notice it immediately.

I would normally whole-heartedly agree with you Llorean, except they have a bad track record for this kind of thing and are kinda lax about communicating with the community. Although again, their recent patches and communication have been much improved.

The communication to us in response to the complaints so far has been "we'll fix/undo it". I'm not saying they owe us any kind of explaination like it was a mistake or whatever, but the impression plus their track record leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

This is purely subjective. I think they have a great track record to be honest. Good luck seeing response times like Trendy's from someone like Blizzard on anything that isn't a 'zomg everyone is getting end-gear loot from level 4 boars'.

In the past, they've made changes that were intentional, and forgotten to document them. Often they just added lines to the patch notes after the patch went out. This still doesn't look like "Ninja" changes to me, but rather screwups when trying to document them.

I'm just saying, I can't see how there's *anything* for them to gain from not including a change in the notes intentionally. All it does is piss off the community.

Sure, they've made some communication errors in the past. Sure, they may be making one now by not clarifying what sort of error this was (though I imagine if they came out and said it's exactly what I said it was, people would then just say they're lying to cover up ninja changes).

But I really just don't see any signs of ill will or malice or sneakiness in Trendy's general behaviour. They may rush changes (in fact, I'd say they certainly rush change) but they just follow the philosophy of release early, release often. Not exactly my personal preference, but it *does* get to the same place as "slow and carefully tested", and often more quickly, it's just also a bumpier ride.

I fully agree with ya there, Llorean.. I honestly don't get how people would think Trendy would open up all of these cans of worms intentionally. Noone stands to benefit from it. Noone. Honest mistakes happen.

it wasn't even an intended change so it never entered the patch notes, it had something to do with a change to djinni buff logic which caused the mages to become ridiculously powerfully buffed.

The buff explains the healing increase, but not the increased range which is the other issue. Somehow the cap got removed on that, but since they've already fixed it, it's not a big deal.