Just wondering what weapon combinations people have been using. I have a big stick and a crystal tracker currently but am thinking I need to replace the tracker with a minigun or bone bone for distance attacking. The big stick works very well when up close.

My plan has been pretty similar, staff with 5 projectiles for the up close shotgun effect, and a gun or bow for long range. Just haven't found the best choices yet.

The key things I also think of are that it is pretty good to vary the elemental attributes if they are a good part of the damage for either weapon.

I use a sand bow and oculus staff for long range lane clearing and ogre killing shotgun, but i'm in the process of replacing my sandbow with a magic lamp seeing as that is even more effective lane clearing tool.

There was a thread a while back which mentioned that staffs seemed to have the best power rating for the Proton Blast, but otherwise I'd suggest using a Huntress weapon for the main attack potentials.

I too am curious. Is there even a difference between all of the staffs that drop? Eg. Swords have different rates of attack (swing speed), and some do more damage per hit (hammers), etc... so there is quite the variation with swords. Huntress weapons also seem to have a large variety (although I have no idea which is the best for DPS).

Staff models look different, but so far I have noticed no difference between any of the models. Is there a difference?

I too am curious. Is there even a difference between all of the staffs that drop? Eg. Swords have different rates of attack (swing speed), and some do more damage per hit (hammers), etc... so there is quite the variation with swords. Huntress weapons also seem to have a large variety (although I have no idea which is the best for DPS).

Staff models look different, but so far I have noticed no difference between any of the models. Is there a difference?

I know certain staves have different spreads with their projectiles. The holiday "Winter's Cane" type staves shoot all 6 projectiles in a flat line (1-2-3-4-5-6 as opposed to 1-2-3/4-5-6). As far as I know, Occulus shoots it's projectiles in a "O" shape rather than a fan, making it more effective for shooting a single target at mid-long range.

Winter's Cane staves also cause the caster to do a unique right-click animation (it involves lasers shooting up from the floor rather than a normal blast)

I have been using huntress weapons, namely minigun and a shotgun for lane clearing. I find the shotgun to be a tad on the slow side, but the one I have is a great stats stick and it pierces 8 targets. I have intentionally avoided mage staves, simply because clicking the mouse button repeatedly tires my hands out. I have read that a staff is superior in most ways to huntress weapons due to projectiles, better charged blast and raw damage output close up, but they don't match my playstyle.

I have been using huntress weapons, namely minigun and a shotgun for lane clearing. I find the shotgun to be a tad on the slow side, but the one I have is a great stats stick and it pierces 8 targets. I have intentionally avoided mage staves, simply because clicking the mouse button repeatedly tires my hands out. I have read that a staff is superior in most ways to huntress weapons due to projectiles, better charged blast and raw damage output close up, but they don't match my playstyle.

Hold the left AND right button down, and you auto-fire

Hold the left AND right button down, and you auto-fire

While it is true you can autofire with staves, that doesn't mean that it can maximize dps with the staff. I learned recently that if you upgrade the charge stat and attempt to half charge and fire repeatedly, you can get a major boost out of your staff. It often turns out to be a huge damage increase, of course it does mean that if you go with that method then you have to click and release constantly, and can't autofire to get the effect.

The other bonus from a staff over the huntress weapons is the secondary attack, as well as the knockback you can get on it. If you have the hp to risk it, you can shove enemies around with that secondary. On some maps you can toss lots of enemies off of cliffs or into lava, or at least push them back for a moment to give your ranged towers more time to shoot them.

It's all a matter of what you need from your weapons, and how you can use them.

A flamethrower is an excellent weapon if you often use gas traps and ensnare auras. All enemies are lined up and bunched together. You only have to scorch them. The big plus is that when combined with darkness traps, the trash doesn't have any fire resistance. And I think we all know how much easier it is to get high fire elemental damage compared to normal damage. They'll never know what hit them.

I use a retri as a main weapon, though. Even at quite a bit of range the damage is still pretty nice. Good against pretty much everything, but I mainly use it on djinn and spiders at the moment. Ogres simply can be ignored on most maps with the unhittable EV walls. =/

Crystal Tracker and my 2nd gen portal gun. She's mostly a tower builder, but I guess you'd probably consider her hybrid because she does great damage with the tracker.