Tower Upgrade Choices: max level specials, a suggestion

Alright, here's something I have been thinking about.

The problem:
- Stats are going through the roof at the moment. The amount of projectiles coming out of towers is simply over the top. Where is the next step? I don't really see a future in 0.00001 fire rates, to be honest. ;)
- We're getting large amounts of hero stat points, and then quickly cap our 3 core stats. This is boring in my opinion.
- Towers are simple and static. They need to be more dynamic to fit situations on more ways, allowing for a larger variety of setups, depending on the gear levels of people in your group. Towers can now not complement one another by anything more than their position.

The suggestion:
- A stat which you can invest only hero stat points in. No armor or weapon has upgrades for it. Perhaps future additions to the armor system can add this stat.
- New functions for the highest upgrade tier of a tower.
- Towers can complement one another in more ways than just placement.

The mechanics behind it:
- A new stat added for tower upgrade.
- The more points, the more potent your final upgrade gets.
- New tactics for all maps are up for the grabs, providing more variety in layouts and the possibility to play with a (random) team that's not perfectly attuned to one another.
- Each tower gets a new, expensive, choice to make. You simply press the corresponding key when doing the final upgrade to a tower. This applies the chosen special to that tower.
- People now have to balance between tower special points and other stats. At the point where trans gear is at right now, tower specials should overtake (for example) stats like tower fire rate and attack power. This prevents the endless stat stacking we are heading towards now, while opening up a whole new range of ways to beat maps in fun ways.

Examples
- Magic Missile tower:
Choice 1: area of effect --> making it essentially a fireball tower without the fire resistance problem.
Choice 2: double beam --> can now attack 1 ground and 1 air target at a time, making this tower more potent vs wyverns again

- Fireball Tower:
Choice 1: napalm --> Enemies are scorched, causing the next hit from the tower to do additional damage.
Choice 2: inferno --> Enemies are set on fire, confusing them into sometimes attacking each other.

- Deadly Striker Tower
Choice 1: overcharge --> the tower will fire a slower moving bolt, but for extreme damage
Choice 2: priority targets --> the tower will now always try to hit djinn, ogres or warriors

- Bowling Ball Turret:
Choice 1: shards --> An expired ball that hits nothing will explode for aoe damage after the last bounce.
Choice 2: heavy weight --> Instead of a knockback, enemies hit are knocked over temporarily. This is handy for keeping them inside hunter traps for a long time, for example.

- Harpoon Turret:
Choice 1: explosive bolt --> The harpoon loses its piercing ability, but instead can now knock back enemies in a small area of effect blast
Choice 2: splintering shaft --> all enemies hit by the harpoon get splinters in them, slowing them down. The side effect is a reduced piercing effect.

- Spike Blockade
Choice 1: barbed spikes --> enemies with melee hits get stuck on the spikes, slowing down their attack rate
- Poisoned spikes --> enemies with melee hits get poisoned, lowering their resistances

I could keep going with endless examples, but I think this makes the idea quite clear.
Hopefully there are members of this community who like this idea, and can help expand on it. If you don't like it, I'd love to hear your feedback!

The idea in itself sounds interesting but I don't particularly like most of your suggestions.

They're examples to illustrate what the suggestion is about, not actual stuff that I think should be added. :)

I agree, but first, there should be a normal loot progression

Seems like the loot progression is fixed by the tavern keeper.
Can we move on to more interesting stuff now? :D

I've felt, for several months now, that the game needs some sort of bonus from levelling up asides from better gear.

My ideal implementation of it was somewhat different to yours, though - I want a system where you get special perk points for the levels after 70, which you can invest in special upgrades for towers, hero abilities and basic abilities (left/right click, heal/repair/upgrade, jumping and movement)

Perhaps a minor combination of the two where tower perks can be applied as an upgrade option once the tower's maxed out could work; but the idea is to have which one's available chosen by the player as part of a character's build.

Edit: I voted yes on your poll, but perhaps you should've included a "I'd like something similar" option. Don't know if non-mods can change polls though.

I like the idea, but feel like it should always be ONLY a choice, and not something that you'd feel was necessary. For example, take a Fireball tower to max level, and have its 2 possible options be the ability to change its damage to either lightning or poison.

Just make them all balanced, as opposed to the final upgrade feeling necessary.

I like the idea, but feel like it should always be ONLY a choice, and not something that you'd feel was necessary. For example, take a Fireball tower to max level, and have its 2 possible options be the ability to change its damage to either lightning or poison.

Just make them all balanced, as opposed to the final upgrade feeling necessary.

First off, let me just say that my examples are just that, examples. I'm trying to display some variety to mechanics as well. Balance wasn't really something I worried about, since it's only the idea I'm trying to get across. Trendy can handle numbers and damage types just fine on their own. ;)

Well, you could make it an upgrade which can only be applied during build phases. If the number of upgrades is balanced by adding 1 upgrade slot per active player per wave, then you also can make it a staged process. This allows larger groups to get their upgrades done earlier on then solo players, which allows groups to deal with the increased mob count and strength more easily, WITHOUT them having the need for way higher stats (in total) than a solo player.