[GUIDE] City of Cliffs Survival wave 20 + Solo to 6 man.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kandar

I have tried your latest build with the DST about 8 times now. On 4 of those attempts, death has been the same way - mini-ogres are walking OVER the 2 DU north barrier at the west choke. Each time there has been 125/125 DU used, no tower losses.

This never happened before the DST was introduced. In fact I don't remember ever seeing ogres come to that barrier whatsoever (and pre DST I occasionally lost that barrier to a desummon early and went the whole round with nothing coming via that route.

I am not going anywhere near it - staying almost entirely at the east choke, and occasional forays to the south choke to repair.

I would guess that the DST is hitting mini-ogres at the spawn just north of that barrier, and luring them to path as quickly as possible to the DST - which is through that north barrier at the west choke. Then they somehow bug over that barrier.

I tried moving the barrier to flat ground, but then the mini-ogres hit the crystal over the barrier.

i'm not getting that issue. at all. but i do monitor that blockade. What wave are you having this happen on...

You could always just monitor it. i often go kill genies that want to despawn the 2 DU blockade. once in a while a mini ogre but not often.. if ever it happens at the end of a wave.

You could try moving the blockade to the top of the ramp. surely the striker would kill the random archer that goes that direction now and then. would also stop ogres from walking past it.

Hi Kandar

I start at round 13 to get djinnlets on the way. With the DST in place I get wiped out by mini-ogres jumping the 2 DU wall in round 13 or 14. I tried moving the 2 DU wall higher on he ramp, that stopped the mini-ogres jumping the wall - except now EVERYTHING from the spawn just north of there paths to that 2 DU wall, not the east choke. They went berzerk!

Placement of defenses seems to have a major impact on mob AI it would seem.

I tried something else. I got rid of the DST, and rear-facing harpoon at west, dropped the 5 DU wall at west to 4 DU, re-instated the 6 DU buff-beam, and chained 1 harpoon and 4 MM's on it. 1 Harpoon and 1 MM facing to the barriers, 3 MM's facing rear-ward to the wyvern spawns.

I am pleased with this change. I made round 20 three times now. I was doing it solo (no duo partner this time) and made it most of the way through round 20 each time without any wyverns getting through. Unfortunately solo I tend to die at this round to DEW zergs. Need to try it with my duo partner next.

cannot really adjust it now, today everything will change. Need to see what sharks do. all layouts are put on hold till i see what the sharks counter is.

updated for now. added second AA harpoon in the west and deleted south striker. added gas traps to prevent mansharks from pushing stuff.

Note that the Gas traps have to be a bit away from the blockades. do not put them up against it. The Effective Edge of the gas trap needs to be outside of mansharks charge range.

is something wrong with the planner? when I click the link the ensnare auras are tiny and it says 125 DU while I can only see 119 being used. I think there are 2 prox traps missing but where?

Updated. Will allow you to solo to 20 (high as it goes now, sadly) Wave 20 has a bunch of extra mobs on it though.

The zone feels very different then it was before the patch.

Update. Latest build i soloed to 23 and duo'd to 30.

I honestly wouldn't attempt 25 to 30 unless you have a seahorse. ideally a very good one.

there will be 40 ogres with 35 million each coming at you in the first 1500 mobs.. combo that with over 100 mini ogres @ 15 mil a pop and you need a metric crapton of damage.

When duo i stayed east and the other guy went to support south / west. The guy at east needs the best DPS pet. South / west doesn't get too much ogre traffic.. maybe 1/4 of the ogres that east gets. probably less.

Hey hey.

So, Djinn sometimes the south harpoon, but that's when the gas isn't triggered, and doesn't break things.

I rejiggered east a bit, but it's still bulletproof, and that's not where the problem lies.

West is the pain. Djinn takes the barrier (can be rebuilt). And I've mad wave 21/22 a few times. Every time, an ogre has just appeared on the crystal. Assuming it's jumping the wall on the bridge, since I never see where it comes from.

Any thoughts?

the 2 DU Blockade can be desummoned. Nothing to change till the DU limit is adjusted to 140 next patch.

I plan to put a gas trap there and add some south DPS / East snare

updated. No need to change east because it was rock solid. added harpoons to south / west as well as an explosive to south.

What do you play this game on Kandar? Why aren't there any cacti on the patch of dirt your harps touch at the east crystal? I'm trying to line up my towers with yours and I swear your map is different.

Because i play with my graphics settings all the way down to make sure i never have anything but a 60 frame rate. This cuts out the clutter. Small plants, fire embers, little things.

Ugh. Seriously. Hate. This. Map.
West ALWAYS has ogres leaping the barrier which just swarm the crystal. Hate them.
The annoying thing is, I never get this on other maps. Ever.

Blech.

More grinding tomorrow.

you shouldn't have ogres jumping the 2 DU blockade. put it on a slant and near the top. If its an ogre speed issue, scoot your aura stack closer to that side so the ogres hit the snare before the blockade.

Hahaha. I watched your video plenty of times, and I'm pretty sure it's a pixel perfect match. They still leap somewhere (and my aura radius is 1900, so they're plenty big). I think it's just pisspoor luck, like my folder of 6neg giraffes.

I saw a big one walk straight through the 3DU one once- literally, just walked through it, but I was there, so I turned it and killed it. The times the leap, I'm never there to see where they come from - I assume they're slipping off the ramp, but who knows.

Will try trio, and just camp myself west with a seapony and monkboost, because as you say, the other two sides are basically bulletproof, and pretty much any random can hold them.

And, in case I forgot to say it in any of the other threads - thank you, not only for the builds, but for all the speedy replies (to me, and everyone else). It's really appreciated.

it actually may not be the ramp, iv seen someone say they walked past the 3 DU beam before. iv never actually seen it though.

Wondering if you've tried mixed mode.

If so, what was your approach for the south crystal?

It wipes the mini-ogres out from spawns, so the standard spawns are much much easier, but wyverns going straight up from the south spawn to the south crystal were a pain. Aura stack covers it well, but given its right on the spawn, its inevitable a gold one gets buffed and the lower crystal HP on the map commonly means a one-shot. Just wondering if anyone's come up with a good failsafe on that.

Wondering if you've tried mixed mode.

If so, what was your approach for the south crystal?

It wipes the mini-ogres out from spawns, so the standard spawns are much much easier, but wyverns going straight up from the south spawn to the south crystal were a pain. Aura stack covers it well, but given its right on the spawn, its inevitable a gold one gets buffed and the lower crystal HP on the map commonly means a one-shot. Just wondering if anyone's come up with a good failsafe on that.

Haven't toyed with Cliffs mix. I should do that. could be entertaining.

after having a look at it, it seems that just a minor shift in aura position will take care of it. Goldbirds will get extra damage from the two Harpoons sitting right next to it.

Edit: whats going on here. The mini ogres are gone from Mix mode. are they missing in regular as well?

Update:

Updated the build to handle mix mode with no additional adjustments from regular.

Mix mode is currently busted. NO MINI OGRES! Normal mode sitll has mini ogres. just heads up. So if you want better loot and an easier time, hit up cliffs mix mode. its all cupcakes and brownies at the moment.

Edit: new tower positions video uploading.

I have tried this build 3 times now - everytime with the same result wave 20-ish and a few sharkens break away from the pile in the northeast and take down the wall up there = game over in a few seconds.

So my question is this: Is the northeastern proxi supposed to damage the HUGE pile of mobs that get stuck in the gas trap or how do you build it? I can't quite tell from the vid if the range on the proxi is large enough for that or not.