My guess at the new Sharkmen abilities.

So, in the Digest, they introduced the new monster, Sharkmen. While the name seems simple, i feel that after reading the brief description, i think i've come up with a big of a guesstimation of their abilities. I believe they are going to be like the spider queen, in that they can move your towers/walls (maybe except EV walls) etc. that's just my speculation. Seeing the piles of Spider Queens that beta testers fought in every wave was probably to see how it affected game play for the Sharkmen... who knows? The people who went to PAX probably know a lot more. Feel free to share your thoughts, maybe i'm completely wrong, or maybe the details already leaked.. If so :( i'll just have to go research it.

Thanks, Tactical Flaw

[QUOTE]PAX attendees experienced first-hand the terror of these ruthless sea creatures. Just when you think you have the perfect setup, the Sharkmen charge the playing field (literally). It’s up to your heroes’ might and magic to stop them from pushing aside your defenses and bolting straight to your crystals. Fend them off, and you may survive to see the new boss.[/QUOTE]

It's in the Digest.

Unless Trendy re-code pushing mechanics for EV's physical beam, most of the time these guys will be far too easy to deal with. Right now, only the nodes of the beam can be pushed - place them somewhere the sharks can't reach, like just around a corner or on a small wall, and they simply won't achieve anything. So, if nothing changes, EV becomes a necessity in NM builds. Gotta feel bad for anybody that doesn't have her if that's the case.

Oh shah, didn't think Trendy was going to just release their mechanic like that :P. Thought they were playing with words etc. Doh, that stupid of me

My take on it is that Sharken will do this:

Charge at a tower, slam into it knocking the tower a short distance away, fall over for a second and quickly scramble up and then continue onwards normally.

I don't think pushing defences is a great mechanic idea. Generally defence designs are quite flexible, you can use a variety of builders and a variety of combinations of defences. If a mob can push these out of position then you generally have to create some one-dimensional defences which are built around stopping it.

If it is not immune to gas traps then gas traps will become mandatory, kind of like any map which has a lot of djinn. :p

I am not convinced djinn or this new mob has broadened the game experience, they just create scenarios in which you have to compensate for the lack of flexibility with static defences, ones which usually have more limited means of overcoming them than the traditional mobs.

I think going forward the answer will be to overhaul the mechanics to allow for a more diverse type of gameplay, I think we will hit the wall soon in terms of how much can be tacked on with the current mechanics without the game becoming ridiculous. :p

My take on it is that Sharken will do this:

Charge at a tower, slam into it knocking the tower a short distance away, fall over for a second and quickly scramble up and then continue onwards normally.

This is my concern... Towers usually have a limited line of sight and with a lot of maps moving a tower even slightly is as bad as just destroying it if it can no longer perform it's desired function any longer.

This is my concern... Towers usually have a limited line of sight and with a lot of maps moving a tower even slightly is as bad as just destroying it if it can no longer perform it's desired function any longer.

If bowling balls can knock them back/stop their charge they would have a very small usefullness...

If sharkmen are rarer than ogres and paper like goblins, then maybe it won't be an issue. Because seriously, moving defenses around is a BS mechanic. As someone else mentioned, you need precise placement on everything in end-game content and these guys will mess that up big time.

Maybe the implementation will be melee and take just as long as a djinn's unsummon. This could actually be worse than unsummoning as it may change monster AI/pathing in a very undesired way.