Sign in to follow this  
senz54

Series EV Buff Beams disappearing along with buffed defense - Intended?

It could be a lot better

I'm pretty annoyed by the buff beam Nerf myself.

What would make a lot more sense is if the buff beam lost an upgrade if a buffed tower went down; then if the buff beam had no upgrades it was destroyed.

That gives you a little leeway and it's balanced because upgrading isn't particularly cheap AND the buff beam still has a way of being destroyed.

The problem with the current mechanics is that if you build around a buff beam (which most people trying to level up and play on higher difficulties will) you can literally lose the game in 10-15 seconds just because a buff beam goes down.

The other day I was playing Foundries and Forges on NMHC and I can practically solo the whole thing with a lv. 75 Apprentice, Lv. 74 MOnk and Lv. 74 Summoner. An Ogre destroyed a MM Tower on one side, took out the buff beam and 10 different defenses when from being fully buffed to barely upgraded; I immediately got overrun and lost within a few seconds.

That's really annoying and makes me not want to use the buff beams at all; at least then there are no surprises or sudden losses. Buff beams are a god-sent for people trying to farm mana to afford better gear, but they become a fragile Achilles heel at the same time.

It's intended, because that's the only way the buff beams could go down.

Mostly correct.
I found out the hard way that Djinn can and absolutely will if given the chance Desummon the beam directly.

Obviously your build is not better if your towers are going down.
Note: this is barring flipping Djinns hiding in the walls where they can't be hit.

The one thing that should be fixed is if a defense touches a beam it is considered to be buffed even if it is already being buffed by an other beam.

Be careful the game considers a sale of a defense during combat phase to be a lost defense.

Some one I was playing with accidentally sold an aura while trying to sell a harp to reposition it onto a beam.

This was during combat and he took out 5 buff beams at once!

If the beams were all really all buffing the defense it would make sense but they do NOT multy buff.

Buff beams are a god-sent for people trying to farm mana to afford better gear, but they become a fragile Achilles heel at the same time.

Risk vs. reward mate. Buff beams are extremely powerful, especially on aura's and walls. Given the availability of mana, losing an upgrade just isn't a big deal.

PS

Check the date next time

You can't really think that this thing is a needed mechanic. It's not only a disadvantage it's a HUGE disadvantage when coupled with djinn. Like mach said it's already an expensive tower, why does it have to have a disadvantage?

Expensive? It's the best use of DU in the entire game. It's super cheap.

Look at what a 6 DU beam can do.

For starters, without even trying to cram stuff in can easily buff 5 towers and a dozen minions. With starter myth gear you can make all those towers much harder to kill. You can nearly double their damage, and increase their speed by 50%. You now just turned 5 towers and 12 minions into 15 towers and 36 minions. All with greatly extended range. Not to mention making auras and traps MASSIVE. The aura increase alone is worth it. You simply can't get auras that big, or turret ranges that large without 3.5-4k stats otherwise!

Yeah, when a beam goes down it can be bad but if towers are dying, things are not looking good regardless. Tower Defense games are like battling a flood. As long as your walls are holding back the water, it's all fine.. but the SECOND you have a breach it will quickly lead to total disaster.

I'll take the downsides to Buff Beams to get the benefits. It's an easy win in my mind.

Expensive? It's the best use of DU in the entire game. It's super cheap.

Look at what a 6 DU beam can do.

For starters, without even trying to cram stuff in can easily buff 5 towers and a dozen minions. With starter myth gear you can make all those towers much harder to kill. You can nearly double their damage, and increase their speed by 50%. You now just turned 5 towers and 12 minions into 15 towers and 36 minions. All with greatly extended range. Not to mention making auras and traps MASSIVE. The aura increase alone is worth it. You simply can't get auras that big, or turret ranges that large without 3.5-4k stats otherwise!

Yeah, when a beam goes down it can be bad but if towers are dying, things are not looking good regardless. Tower Defense games are like battling a flood. As long as your walls are holding back the water, it's all fine.. but the SECOND you have a breach it will quickly lead to total disaster.

I'll take the downsides to Buff Beams to get the benefits. It's an easy win in my mind.

You forgot to mention that they also boost the resistance of towers, so your defenses are actually taking half as much damage as they would be otherwise. If you have buffed towers consistantly falling, its time to rethink part of your build.

You forgot to mention that they also boost the resistance of towers, so your defenses are actually taking half as much damage as they would be otherwise. If you have buffed towers consistantly falling, its time to rethink part of your build.

I mentioned they are harder to kill but that was pretty obscure, thanks for pointing it out.

But the DU cost is nothing. A single Harpoon costs 6 DU. You could drop another for another 6, or put it on a Buff Beam for 4 which doubles the towers HP and Damage, increases the speed and range by a huge amount. You now have the equivalent of FOUR extended range and extra tough towers.

I luv my Buff Beams. :)

The only problem I have with the buff beam completely going away is that it can completely destroy your entire build by losing one tower. I understand that there has to be some drawback since the beam is otherwise invincible. I think I'd rather see it lose one upgrade level for each defense that goes down. If the beam is not upgraded at all, if you lose a tower you lose the beam.

Ah, cascading Buff Beam failure. Gotta love it.

One thing I wish they would do is make desummoned towers not count as destroyed. So many times I've had Djinn fly up into orbit and desummon from out of vertical range of my gas traps.

I could also see allowing more than one twoer to fall. IIRC, TBBs health is tied directly to the towers on it, and locked at 1 HP. They could potentially allow it to go higher than 1 at extreme values of TowerHP. Like +1HP per 1000 points or something. Nonrepairable, of course.

Since this is here anyway, I have to ask. Do buff beams not affect aura health at all or something? Most of my towers couldn't care less about the resistance boost, but it would be godly on my auras. And it seems my auras are the only thing ever dying in survival waves because buff beams are buffing them way too big. As in, covering spawn points big.

It's not my fault my aura radius is like 2000.

Since this is here anyway, I have to ask. Do buff beams not affect aura health at all or something? Most of my towers couldn't care less about the resistance boost, but it would be godly on my auras. And it seems my auras are the only thing ever dying in survival waves because buff beams are buffing them way too big. As in, covering spawn points big.

You can hit the minus key when placing an aura to make it smaller to begin with. I had an issue with the auras on the bottom reaching through the floor above causing them to drain really fast. Had to make them smaller to compensate.

Actually, yeah, that probably is your fault. But yeah, I agree. Buff beams should slow the decay of auras. And Im not sure about how traps should work, but something there would be nice too.

Since this is here anyway, I have to ask. Do buff beams not affect aura health at all or something?

Buff Beams don't affect the health of any towers. The tower HP stat on the EV decides how much of a resistance boost the towers get.

Since health isn't affected, auras don't get more and traps don't get more charges.

Changing the boost from resistance to a health boost would be kind of nice... then you could actually see the numbers change and get a better idea of what the HP stat is doing to them. As well as they would affect everything, not just physical towers.

In general I think the current buff beam mechanics are fine. Big risk vs big reward.

As to the OP's mention of djinn desummoning from inside a wall, then the bug involved is a mob getting stuck in a wall. Changing the buff beam, or any tower, to accommodate is focusing on the wrong issue.

I suppose you could argue from a pragmatic sense its easier to change the towers but I don't really know enough about programming in general or DD's in specific to comment.

That being said, I kinda like the idea of using upgrades like the buff beam's HP. Big Picture, if the game was a little easier it wouldn't be a bad thing.