Fresh 74, confused on what to do now for upgrades

I've been sorting through some of the forum posts and tutorials but I can't seem to quite figure out what to do next. I just hit level 74 but have no mythic equipment. I've seen videos of people getting the stuff starting on nightmare endless spire, but I stand no chance there. They have tower stats in the 500 range - I can't even make it through the first wave of nightmare on the first map.

My tower stats are 139/177/149/154 with a 65 hero speed.

How do people hit those stats? Is it the mythic gear? If so, how do you get started even getting some drops?

I mostly play solo, and have this apprentice plus some other toons, none above 40 (though I could raise one up if needed).

Please give me an idea of what I should be doing to advance - thanks much!!

First you want to make sure all of your Godly armor is of the same type, whether it's leather or chain or whatever. This will give you a 25% stat boost in each piece of armor. Unfortunately, nightmare has been made much harder since most of the guides were put out, but this is what I did when I was in the same situation as you: http://ddplanner.czokalapik.com/?l=1500,beginning-apprentice-es-nm-setup . The apprentice guardian (you should have one of these, or a huntress guardian) indicates where you'll be standing for most of the wave. A spider will drop there, but a charged blast has a good chance of knocking it off.

Once the first set of goblins and orcs have been killed near you, grab their mana and immediately build 2 more fireball turrets on the platform, facing towards the ogre. Stay safe behind them and let your guardian do the work. You should be able to make it past the first wave with that setup, although you may need another magic missile tower in the north. Make sure you're playing on hardcore so you get better goodies.

Happy hunting!

Thanks much! Between this advice and another thing I dug up much later, I managed to survive the first wave of nightmare which got me started getting loot and things took off quickly from there. A lot of farming later I've almost managed to survive the whole set of waves. (Almost...)

• 2 weeks later...
I found a progression thread that had some good tips on handling nightmare endless spires for an apprentice. I don't have the link any more unfortunately.

There was a layout suggested but also some principles. Namely, you don't have to win per se. You just have to survive the first wave. Then you can farm the chests and get some mythical gear. Once you do that, you'll be able to start surviving more and more waves and farm more and more mythical gear.

I've managed to survive all the way through a few times, but it's somewhat luck-based. Now that the new patch is down, it seems harder. I think what's holding me back more than anything now is the need for a new pet and I'm not sure how to get a decent one aside from surviving difficult maps and hoping one shows up in the pet store.