TL;DR: Ranting feels good. Now I feel better. Why not share your most hated mobs this time around?

Of all the mobs in the game, these little creeps earn my biggest, undying, profanity-spewing, incoherent babbling, rage.

Djinns buff enemies, shoot elemental blasts, zap your towers away, and they're flying to boot. But at least they have the courtesy to walk (okay, fly) all the way from their spawn points, and their defense-zapping takes more than 10 seconds to complete; plenty of time to shoot them down, let alone interrupt.

Spiders.... First they spawn anywhere they like. Okay, they got static spawn points and 'a single bouncer blockade on their spawn' will take care of them. Except that for some reason, despite the bouncers I placed on each of their spawn points, somehow they still manage to get through. I've replayed the level many times (Glitterhelm) just to find out where EXACTLY they will rappel down like a SWAT team, placed a bouncer exactly where they will fall, yet they still managed to get through. And there's only so much bouncers I can dedicate for Spider control, even by following the NMHC Glitter guides (they're hit-or-miss for me, I succeed quite a bit, but also failed quite a bit).

But it's the Spiders' abilities that make me rage the most. First off, they lunge. This isn't so bad except for interrupting summon / repair / upgrade process and messing your attempt to get no player damage award.

It's the Spiders' web shot that cause me to rage 89% of the time (the other 5% by DEWs interrupting repair / upgrade attempts, 5% by constant Kobold bombardments, and 1% by DEMs who just spam skeletons without walking any closer). They web defenses, drastically reducing their damage output; which means that Djinn in the process of zapping my defenses might succeed. And don't get me started when they web me from off-screen (or behind) while I'm repairing / upgrading defenses in the face of 4 Ogres knocking down my walls. As if interrupting your progress isn't enough, it also PREVENTS you from using any skill / repairing / upgrading while the effect lasts - my walls are practically screwed if they were getting pounded by 4 Ogres when this happen.

To make matters worse, the web also reduce our combat abilities to nigh-nothing, making our attempt to kill the Spider that much more difficult (whenever I see my swing speed reduced to 3 seconds.... argh). And if THAT's not enough, it also shuts down our self-buff skills and prevent its use. All those times I'm happily chopping mobs with Call to Arms, only to get webbed and chopped by mobs in return.... ARGH. And as a final annoyance, these web shots are not interruptible, unlike Djinns' tower-zapping powers.

Seriously... Spiders, gah. #1 in my hate list, followed by DEW/Kobold (can't decide which's worse), and Mages (because they tend to spam skeleton without moving out of their spawn, and I don't have ranged attacks).

*edit: TL;DR moved to top of post

If you hate them so much, dont play nightmare dude. And if your defense fail against spider then your defense is not good.

If you hate them so much, dont play nightmare dude. And if your defense fail against spider then your defense is not good.

Eh, my defense can kill spiders just fine. It's just sometimes, they manage to stay juuuust out of my bouncer blockade range. You know, when the bouncer keeps attacking without actually hitting the mob?

And I'll keep playing NMHC, cause I'm not a scrub who would cry nerf. Sure, I hate them so much; doesn't stop me from facing them in-game.

Those damn spiders have made me scared of real ones, pesky web slinging critters.

But seriously a bit of spider rage is all good as it helps you perfect your plan of revenge on the little suckers. :)

Here's a Squire-only plan for Glitterhelm I came up with a while ago.

http://html5.cubicleninja.com/dd/index.htm?layout=27070

I still have those stats, and as near as I can tell, despite the damage-adjustment from the latest patch, it's still viable, if a bit more frenetic work on the last wave or two to do damage control from ogres. Hope it helps you.

lol I see so many bouncers all over the place. Thanks man, I'll try out this build later. I usually follow http://html5.cubicleninja.com/dd/index.htm?layout=19256 ; tried http://html5.cubicleninja.com/cubicleninja/html5/dd/index.htm?layout=24778 , but it didn't work out for me more often than not.

lol I see so many bouncers all over the place. Thanks man, I'll try out this build later. I usually follow http://html5.cubicleninja.com/dd/index.htm?layout=19256 ; tried http://html5.cubicleninja.com/cubicleninja/html5/dd/index.htm?layout=24778 , but it didn't work out for me more often than not.

No problem, I definitely tried out one of those builds you listed the first few attempts I made, and had a lot of trouble as well. My build should make spiders a non-issue, the only thing I would say to keep an eye on is the crystal at the end of the bridge in the north. I've never sat over there and watched it like a hawk, but every once and a blue moon a spider manages to web the harpoon and a lone wyvern can get past and start pecking at the crystal. I'm sure there's room for improvement in the placement, but I've never lost a game from that little blip (it's more of an annoyance).

No problem, I definitely tried out one of those builds you listed the first few attempts I made, and had a lot of trouble as well. My build should make spiders a non-issue, the only thing I would say to keep an eye on is the crystal at the end of the bridge in the north. I've never sat over there and watched it like a hawk, but every once and a blue moon a spider manages to web the harpoon and a lone wyvern can get past and start pecking at the crystal. I'm sure there's room for improvement in the placement, but I've never lost a game from that little blip (it's more of an annoyance).

Funny thing is, when I follow the builds I've been using (not yours) where you put a Bouncer in front of the north crystal and a Harpoon behind it, Spiders and Wyverns were NEVER an issue. The bigger issue is when an Ogre backed up by Kobolds managed to break the blockades east of the crystal.

I might just mix things up here.

Also keep in mind if you stand close to a bouncer blockade the spider will fall towards you. It seems whenever i run through the middle (glitter) by all my blockades, I get a few spiders on me.

I'm actually fine with spiders nowadays. Used to really hate them. It's funny how with the spiders webbing and djinn zapping defenses, the most infuriating enemies are the old ones. Wyverns, kobolds and warriors are the bane of my existence when buffed by djinns. I've lost all my survivals to those three. And I don't blame the djinn, he's just doing what he can before all my towers focus him when he inevitably goes for one of my defenses. I blame those buffed *******s for jumping on me, exploding in my face, or making a hail mary to the crystal.

May they rot in the deepest layer of old-one pus for eternity.

http://ddplanner.czokalapik.com/

Check the spider box. Ta-da! Now you know all the locations!

I used this, but it's not enough. If I misplace the bouncer by one centimetre (real life measurement), most likely the spider will drop in out of the bouncer's range. I actually relied on both this and that NMHC Glitter thread somewhere in this forums; the thread's screenshot on where to exactly put the bouncers were helpful enough.

Oh btw nice therapy for spider hate available now.

Get a melee monk, max his weapon, equip a dps pet, and hunt those meanies down!

I have been doing that recently and with the most recent monk buff I can do 2.5mil damage between me and my pet.

Heh I know right. I got 3.5m dps with hero boost on, with my candelabra. about 100k damage per hit without hero boost. Oneshotting spiders has never been more fun :P

Build reflect wall. That will make you scream in joy as u see spider webbing himself. Its just the best feeling in the world.

Here's a Squire-only plan for Glitterhelm I came up with a while ago.

http://html5.cubicleninja.com/dd/index.htm?layout=27070

I still have those stats, and as near as I can tell, despite the damage-adjustment from the latest patch, it's still viable, if a bit more frenetic work on the last wave or two to do damage control from ogres. Hope it helps you.

nice DU waste. not like you could spare 50% of that bouncers ... :D

nice DU waste. not like you could spare 50% of that bouncers ... :D

Actually, I tried this build, and it's working pretty well. And it's not a waste of DU/bouncers, it's practically the same number of bouncers you'd put on Spider spawn points - only this time, he put them encircling the harpoons instead of Spider spawns. Except maybe the one on the southwest; 1 is generally enough.

The problem I found is that Ogres tend to smash my bouncer blockades on the chokepoints - so I tweaked the design a bit by replacing some bouncers with spiked walls for extra longevity. And so far, it's working with 100% success rate for me (it used to be a hit-or-miss endeavor, around 65% success 35% fail)

I dunno... as many times as I've beaten maps with ease, i still hate spiders with a burning passion. Their headbutt leap pisses me off, and their webshots going through ledges/through floors absolutely drives me insane. I HATE any part of the game where something can either cut a corner, or shoot through an object that normally shouldn't' be able to.

I don't mind spiders at all, I think they make the game more interesting. Saying you hate spiders just makes me think you're the kind of person who wants the game to be easier.

I don't mind spiders at all, I think they make the game more interesting. Saying you hate spiders just makes me think you're the kind of person who wants the game to be easier.

This is just a rant thread, really. And your point has been addressed in the 3rd post of this thread.

That said, let's see if you 'don't mind' Spiders when they web you and your defenses repeatedly as Ogres pound down your walls, and you being unable to fix your walls, and your defenses generally impotent during the web. Especially in Survival.

The thing that really pisses me off about spiders is when they tangle an entire set of towers with one shot of web. One shot should tangle one tower.

I lol'd. Seriously, I lol'd irl.

One shot does tangle one tower, unless you cluster all your towers together like an idiot.

I lol'd. Seriously, I lol'd irl.

One shot does tangle one tower, unless you cluster all your towers together like an idiot.

On some maps you can't avoid having some of your towers close together.

I like the risk/reward that has with buff beams. Either you clump up your towers so you get to buff as many as possible, but you run the risk of losing a lot of efficiency while they're webbed, or you keep the separated with the obvious drawback of losing buff beam efficiency. Though I guess on most maps it just comes down to having to build a very efficient anti-spider defense.