Future Of Dungeon Defenders

It's pretty easy all the need to do is add meta stats.

Crit Stat: Takes 10 upgrade points for 1 level of crit.
Damage Reflect Stat: Blah Blah Blah

Just add in meta stats that are more powerful than the base hero stats. And have fun abilities. Shields that proc for squires, rapid fire for huntresses, whatever.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty easy all the need to do is add meta stats.

Crit Stat: Takes 10 upgrade points for 1 level of crit.
Damage Reflect Stat: Blah Blah Blah

Just add in meta stats that are more powerful than the base hero stats. And have fun abilities. Shields that proc for squires, rapid fire for huntresses, whatever.

i like it, but what about the towers? theyre still incredibly powerful for this state in the game, how are they to progress? say maybe add a skill for app/adept when a tower dies a mini-mana explosion occurs? but obviously its damage and radius would be toned down

I've been wondering this for a few days now; how is Dungeon Defenders to progress when at such an early stage in its life when a persons tower will already shot dozens of projectiles a millisecond? Or we're moving at the speed cap? Or it takes a split second to build/repair/upgrade a tower? I'm perplexed at how progression is to occur when it's already at this state; it would take a major reworking of scaling/leveling/stats to fix this issue. And if someone doesn't understand, here is what I am saying:

Say someone is at the top of the game right now; where their towers deal thousands of damage, fire dozens of projectiles every second, and can fire half-way across the map... How is the game to progress further past that? Perhaps by adding new champions with different scaling? New maps? PVP? I don't know.

D3 and GW2 release in a few months, Dd will hit under 1k players as most I talked to are waiting for one or the other. Also, they are more balanced then DD ever will be, sigh...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

D3 and GW2 release in a few months, Dd will hit under 1k players as most I talked to are waiting for one or the other. Also, they are more balanced then DD ever will be, sigh...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

quite possible, personally im staying with DD if they make things more interesting

personally im thinking of leveling every character and gearing them (i have all character dlc's) and cross my fingers that in the mean time trendy comes up with something

Discussing the future of Dungeon Defenders is moot.

Since the game will forever run without the need for a community (unlike an MMO, which solely relies on its community.) Basically, the future of the game is not dependant on how many players stay, therefore, as long as people buy it or try it, you'll always have someone to play with. Further, you can play alone and still finish the story.

I believe a better question is this:

How long will Trendy continue to develop content for the game when the player base dwindles to roughly 5,000 concurrent players?

quite possible, personally im staying with DD if they make things more interesting

Problem is, when their current idea of adding content is to add another 50+ Hours of Grinding on top of what we already have, They really need to change their tune when it comes to creating content for the game. It's not enough to simply say it's there anyone. They need to make it relevant.

Discussing the future of Dungeon Defenders is moot.

Since the game will forever run without the need for a community (unlike an MMO, which solely relies on its community.) Basically, the future of the game is not dependant on how many players stay, therefore, as long as people buy it or try it, you'll always have someone to play with. Further, you can play alone and still finish the story.

I believe a better question is this:

How long will Trendy continue to develop content for the game when the player base dwindles to roughly 5,000 concurrent players?

same story with dungeon siege 1 & 2 (not even mentioning 3, atrocious what they did with it)

/slight thread derail

same story with dungeon siege 1 & 2 (not even mentioning 3, atrocious what they did with it)

DS3 is absolutely horrendous, and not only that, but it's BOOOORRRINNNGGGG. I want to close my eyes and take a nap after the first 15 minutes of game play.

I can't even imagine what 1 or 2 must have been like.

1 & 2 are NOTHING like 3 in anyway possible... at ALL what they did with 3 is just appalling, try 1 and 2 theyre great, but 3, its taboo to speak of
*ends slight thread derail*
would be nice to have a TE reply to this because it is a glaring issue and it needs to be addressed

So you want something like a periodic ladder reset in Diablo 2...

I actually think it's a good idea once all 4 LES parts are released.

Not periodic, just a one time thing. It's just that the progress in the game currently makes no sense at all. There's been such a crazy stat increase since nightmare, that now leads to stats in the 2xxx and above. If they could rebalance the game from the ground up, as I said before, there's not even a stat crunch needed. Just balance the game so you end up with around 1000 in each tower stat if you have done the complete nightmare endgame. This was, it's going to be way easier to add content on top of that. No periodic reset needed.

Resetting would only hurt the legit people its a bad idea in the end... Cheaters will still cheat and the dedicated will just lose all there progress....

Although it might hurt legit players in the first place, it will also give those same legit players a new experience in the end. If rebalancing means that there's going to be a better progression, players won't mind going through all the content again, especially if they make it less grindy as it is. Of course, hackers are always going to be there, but it's an option to do this reset well after they made the 'easy mode hacking' as it is now impossible.

i agree with mannus, the stat jump is ridiculous and shouldnt be so exponential

Agreed. I started to play this game again few days ago after having around 4-5 months break. When i first took a look at the new shop system and saw all those items with INSANE stats i actualy thought the game had been overrun with hackers.
As stated above the progression currently makes no sense what so ever, theres ridiculous gab between gear its not even funny.
I liked the game when it was vanilla, now its just numbers and numbers and numbers and more numbers everywhere.
Big numbers does not equal fun.

I liked the game when it was vanilla, now its just numbers and numbers and numbers and more numbers everywhere.
Big numbers does not equal fun.

there's the point we're making without the huge explanation; what's TE going to do about this? it is a game killer... end of story

I think expanding and refining the pvp side of this game will help swell the player numbers by capturing the pvp rpg audience. I just don't think trendy have figured out just how to do that yet.

PvP at the moment is quite anemic in this game, but I feel that if Trendy were able to create a fun, rewarding pvp experience with continued development on CTD, then the community interest in pvp would expand greatly. From there they could justify the development of further pvp modes. Let's just hope they're willing to risk the initial investment of development resources.

I think expanding and refining the pvp side of this game will help swell the player numbers by capturing the pvp rpg audience. I just don't think trendy have figured out just how to do that yet.

PvP at the moment is quite anemic in this game, but I feel that if Trendy were able to create a fun, rewarding pvp experience with continued development on CTD, then the community interest in pvp would expand greatly. From there they could justify the development of further pvp modes. Let's just hope they're willing to risk the initial investment of development resources.

but pvp is just for those who have an internet capable of it, along side this game originally being pve, personally i think they need to fix the games progression right now then work on pvp

I sometimes still think about how awesome a complete restart of the game would be. Remove all loot of every player, and rebalance the game from the ground up, meaning there's progression from hard campaign --> insane campaign --> nightmare campaign, where loot from the previous levels always help you on the next. Of course, it's near impossible to actually do this, with people having 1000's of hours in the game in extreme cases. Still, it would make me happy when it would actually happen. Making a sequel would be the easiest thing to do, of course, but wouldn't fix what's wrong with the current game.

But the OP has a point, a stat crunch would have to happen at some point if they want to keep adding more content. How that stat crunch is going to work out could indeed have some serious issues for beginning players though.

All the devs have to do is make an official total mod and those of us who want to reset can do it for that game mode.

A brand new game would be a lot of work and wouldn't fix the current issue with this game; would just be ignoring it. And "adults"? Last I checked the females had breasts.

I don't consider my 13-year-old an adult. She has breasts.

I don't consider my 13-year-old an adult. She has breasts.

good for you, not the topic, move on

I agree with the reset idea. another game I used to play called lands of chaos online did a reset a few months ago and it fixed alot of issues.

I also agree with the more pvp like the ctd map or improved versions of it. Of course we could always use the dddk to make our own version of ctd.....

Better pvp alone won't increase player base. gamers need to be educated that dungeon defender has fun pvp in addition to its super fun pve.

Sent from my EVO 4g

What some people seem to be forgetting right now, that PvP can work, but it won't help the game at all at this moment.

Seeing as the PvP gear people are going to use come from PvE content, they really should balance PvE content first before they are going to focus on PvP, which is exactly the reverse of what they're doing right now. I can see how they want to have PvP work in this game, as it will attract the players that usually stay the longest in the community, but they're skipping steps here.

Also, even though the reset is a nice idea, it will only work AFTER they rebalance the game. Just a simple reset won't fix anything, since in no time everyone will be swimming in 2xxx/2xxx/2xxx/2xxx gear again.

There is nothing wrong with the game, if the towers are shooting 'too fast' and doing 'too much damage' monster HP can be increased. You forget that this whole mode is in beta, anything can happen, you think the apprentice and squire 'swapout' was an accident? In it's finished form, Nightmare will be what it's supposed to be, hard. At this point, it's dumbed down so just about anyone can play it, and do fairly well.

As far as PvP, the only way to fix it is to do something similar to what Spiral Knights does, give each player a 'class' and a specific loadout where everyone is on an even playing field. Without that, you will always have the people with more time squashing the people without. If the opposite is true, you will have the poor losers kicking the winners.

Spiral Knights

*slight thread derail* love spiral knights, shame my internet is too ****ty atm to play it *ends slight thread derail*

There is nothing wrong with the game, if the towers are shooting 'too fast' and doing 'too much damage' monster HP can be increased. You forget that this whole mode is in beta, anything can happen, you think the apprentice and squire 'swapout' was an accident? In it's finished form, Nightmare will be what it's supposed to be, hard. At this point, it's dumbed down so just about anyone can play it, and do fairly well.

As far as PvP, the only way to fix it is to do something similar to what Spiral Knights does, give each player a 'class' and a specific loadout where everyone is on an even playing field. Without that, you will always have the people with more time squashing the people without. If the opposite is true, you will have the poor losers kicking the winners.

How can you say this mode is a beta? All gear is currently ingame already and it completely screwed with any progression in the game. Even though this is a 'beta', the loot that is in the game is still real none the less, beta or not. Slapping a beta sticker on content which you are basically selling, and is in the final version of the game does NOT help the case. This is exactly what is happening now though. They are selling nightmare mode (yes, they sell it. I didn't buy the entire DLC pack for the DLC, and I'm sure I'm far from the only one), and they are using the people who bought it as 'beta testers'. Also, nightmare is not dumbed down, it's merely different from it's final version because not all mobs are here. But, that is completely irrelevant to the actual topic at question. Nobody is questioning the difficulty of the current content, just loot progression and uberstats.

On top of that, it IS a problem that stats are this high, and it's not solvable by just slapping extra HP on mobs. As of now, it doesn't make any sense to have more than 400 tower range or so because it already covers the whole map. Attack speed is usable but as of now, my harpoons can shoot practically in a constant stream of harpoons. That's not how it's supposed to be. If stats become even higher, it'll be even more ridiculous and completely offworld.

Can't give my opinion on Spiral Knights, since I stopped playing after half an hour because I thought the combat system sucked, but it is a good point that loadouts would be a good idea for PvP.

Trendy needs to consider going out of house for game balancing if they think they're doing a good job. Item stats are spiraling out of control and they're still doing nerfs to the tune of fifty percent. Perhaps we should start a Kickstarter to fund some competent out of house guys to do the balancing for Trendy.